When parents are not supportive of priestly/ religious vocations

So last night, we gave a tour of the church to our kids in CCD. As we gathered with Father around the altar, I told one 8th grader that he really looked good standing at the altar. Father grabbed him and said " Wait do this! " as he lifted the boys hands. This kid lit up!!
When his parents picked him up his mother smiled as he recounted the whole event. when his dad came in again he was beaming as he told of everything he learned and then told his dad about standing at the altar. He told his dad he thought he might want to be a priest.

The dad roled his eyes at the kid and then looked at me as if to say “that’s not going to happen” then looked sternly at his son and said “NO”. The boy shrank. and said “well you know I want to be all kind of things.” and then he walked away.

Please keep this boy and his family in your prayers as well as all young people who get excited at the possibilities of priesthood and religious life. I know y’all will!!

Maybe he was offended at the suggestion that "looking good at the altar" was somehow important to a priestly vocation.

Yeah, so many parents think that when a child makes this type of decision, there is something wrong with him/her.

They are not open to this vocation and have gone the way of society.

I will pray for him and his situation. God help him. Our Lady, Queen of priests, pray for him.

I think it's because of the whole, "they'll never get married and I'll never get grandchildren" thing

[quote="raaucoin, post:1, topic:270546"]
So last night, we gave a tour of the church to our kids in CCD. As we gathered with Father around the altar, I told one 8th grader that he really looked good standing at the altar. Father grabbed him and said " Wait do this! " as he lifted the boys hands. This kid lit up!!
When his parents picked him up his mother smiled as he recounted the whole event. when his dad came in again he was beaming as he told of everything he learned and then told his dad about standing at the altar. He told his dad he thought he might want to be a priest.

The dad roled his eyes at the kid and then looked at me as if to say "that's not going to happen" then looked sternly at his son and said "NO". The boy shrank. and said "well you know I want to be all kind of things." and then he walked away.

Please keep this boy and his family in your prayers as well as all young people who get excited at the possibilities of priesthood and religious life. I know y'all will!!

[/quote]

I would never under any circumstances even consider the priesthood for myself nor would I ever allow any of my offspring to become a priest because they are not allowed to marry. I would like to become a Priest and have even considered converting Judaism and becoming a rabbi because of the no marrying rule.

[quote="SwampThingDude, post:5, topic:270546"]
I would never under any circumstances even consider the priesthood for myself nor would I ever allow any of my offspring to become a priest because they are not allowed to marry. I would like to become a Priest and have even considered converting Judaism and becoming a rabbi because of the no marrying rule.

[/quote]

I am sorry to hear you say that. It seems that you are choosing religions based upon having the ability to marry. Understand that becoming a priest in the Late Rite is a discipline and they choose not to get married. However, they are other Rites in the Catholic church that allow marriage.

[/quote]

Not allow? I believe once a child becomes an adult, they can choose to do anything they want to do, career-wise. Some are easier, some are more difficult, some require more education, and some pay better than others, but ultimately, it is THEIR choice....not yours! If God is calling them to be a priest, they should be a priest! If they decide this as an adult, you cannot really prevent them from doing so......

[quote="ricofall, post:6, topic:270546"]
I am sorry to hear you say that. It seems that you are choosing religions based upon having the ability to marry. Understand that becoming a priest in the Late Rite is a discipline and they choose not to get married. However, they are other Rites in the Catholic church that allow marriage.

[/quote]

I discovered Catholicism by way of Judaism and so It's like I am already convinced that Judaism is a legitimate religion.

It doesn't figure solely but does figure. Between two religions that I think are both real divinely inspired religions, I am going to go with the one that offers me a better life.

I am going to check into the priestly rites that allow marriage.

[quote="Catholic90, post:7, topic:270546"]
Not allow? I believe once a child becomes an adult, they can choose to do anything they want to do, career-wise. Some are easier, some are more difficult, some require more education, and some pay better than others, but ultimately, it is THEIR choice....not yours! If God is calling them to be a priest, they should be a priest! If they decide this as an adult, you cannot really prevent them from doing so......

[/quote]

I would disown my son or daughter. I would make it known to them they do not have my blessing and could consider themselves dead to me.

[/quote]

Lifelong celibacy is certainly a great challenge.

As Jesus said:

"For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it." Matthew 19:12

Not everyone can.
And that is understandable

[quote="SwampThingDude, post:9, topic:270546"]
I would disown my son or daughter. I would make it known to them they do not have my blessing and could consider themselves dead to me.

[/quote]

I hope you are not serious. You do know this would be unChristian? To reject your child because he/she answered God's call? You do know that love of God, love of others is the basic Christian requirement. Rejecting your child for wanting to live what he/she sees as God's will for their lives, or for any reason, is not loving them. 'Love endures all things'.
A vocation is a call from God. It is God that you would be taking a stand against.

I know what it's like when one's children choose paths that distress, that go against even basic principles, but one loves them anyway. One doesn't abandon or reject them. You feel strongly. And yes, lifelong celibacy is an overwhelming proposition, but if someone makes that choice, a parent doesn't reject the son or daughter. One loves them regardless. My son was in the seminary two years. He was finally advised that he didn't have a religious vocation. I welcomed him back home, one part disappointed, the other part relieved that this vibrant young man didn't have to live a life that might be lonely. In neither case does one exert pressure. One just loves ones children as their lives unfold. They are gifts, not possessions.

[quote="SwampThingDude, post:9, topic:270546"]

[/quote]

You would reject them because they chose God? That is like YOU rejecting God.

Seriously?

You would rather your son or daughter choose a career THEY would be miserable in just so YOU are happy?

That is so wrong......

[quote="Trishie, post:11, topic:270546"]
I hope you are not serious. You do know this would be unChristian? To reject your child because he/she answered God's call?
A vocation is a call from God. It is God that you would be taking a stand against.

[/quote]

I am absolutely serious.

I have conflicting feelings about the Priesthood and Catholicism in general.

The reason I didn't convert to Judaism is because it's ethnic, not universal.

Catholicism is universal. And for their to be a Catholic Church, their has to be priests.

And I can see the benefits of having priests not marry.

But at the same time, becoming of the priesthood would entirely defeat the purpose for becoming Catholic in the first place. I'm looking for a community in which to become part of to build a life, not destroy one.

[quote="SwampThingDude, post:13, topic:270546"]
I am absolutely serious.

I have conflicting feelings about the Priesthood and Catholicism in general.

The reason I didn't convert to Judaism is because it's ethnic, not universal.

Catholicism is universal. And for their to be a Catholic Church, their has to be priests.

And I can see the benefits of having priests not marry.

But at the same time, becoming of the priesthood would entirely defeat the purpose for becoming Catholic in the first place. I'm looking for a community in which to become part of to build a life, not destroy one.

[/quote]

I would sincerely hope the belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God has something to do with your conversion. That is kind of central to the Catholic faith....

How would YOUR ADULT CHILD choosing the priesthood destroy community IF THEY WERE CALLED AND WANTED TO DO THAT?

It's not all about YOU!

I am not looking for a cause to die for. I am looking for one to live for. The Catholic Priesthood has nothing but death to offer its members.

I would consider a childhood joining the priesthood on par with committing suicide.

[quote="Catholic90, post:14, topic:270546"]
I would sincerely hope the belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God has something to do with your conversion. That is kind of central to the Catholic faith....

How would YOUR ADULT CHILD choosing the priesthood destroy community IF THEY WERE CALLED AND WANTED TO DO THAT?

It's not all about YOU!

[/quote]

Kind of the way I see it is that Jesus spread the religious practice to the Non-Jewish world.

I'm not a huge Jesus freak or fan or anything like that. Largely because of very negative feelings that I have toward Protestants that I have associated with Jesus, I am less than impressed with him and try to not to focus on him.

I tolerate Jesus within Catholicism. I almost didn't convert because of him. But he has kept a respectful and comfortable distance from me.

I figure that part of what makes it Catholic is that it has room for both me and Jesus.

[quote="Catholic90, post:14, topic:270546"]

It's not all about YOU!

[/quote]

What I meant was, they'd be destroying their own lives. I'm joining the church to build my own life, not destroy it. And I will teach them to do the same. Because of the no marrying rule, joining the priesthood is on par with committing suicide in my book.

[quote="SwampThingDude, post:16, topic:270546"]
Kind of the way I see it is that Jesus spread the religious practice to the Non-Jewish world.

I'm not a huge Jesus freak or fan or anything like that. Largely because of very negative feelings that I have toward Protestants that I have associated with Jesus, I am less than impressed with him and try to not to focus on him.

I tolerate Jesus within Catholicism. I almost didn't convert because of him. But he has kept a respectful and comfortable distance from me.

I figure that part of what makes it Catholic is that it has room for both me and Jesus.

[/quote]

Belief in Jesus and His death and resurrection are CENTRAL to the Catholic faith.
In the Eucharist, which** IS JESUS REAL BODY AND BLOOD**, you as a Catholic will be receiving Him into your body.

The Apostle's Creed:
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
Creator of Heaven and Earth
And in Jesus Christ
His only Son, Our Lord
Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit
Born of the Virgin Mary
Suffered under Pontius Pilate
Was crucified, died and was buried.
On the third day, he rose again
He ascended into Heaven
and is seated at the right hand
of God, the Father Almighty.
He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Holy Catholic Church,
the Communion of Saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.
Amen.

[quote="SwampThingDude, post:17, topic:270546"]
What I meant was, they'd be destroying their own lives. I'm joining the church to build my own life, not destroy it. And I will teach them to do the same. Because of the no marrying rule, joining the priesthood is on par with committing suicide in my book.

[/quote]

Joining the priesthood is in NO WAY destroying their lives.

So you are saying anyone who does not marry is as good as dead? What if your child never found someone to marry, or chose not to get married? Would you not like that either? Are you saying that unmarried people have no worth as human beings?

How about you allow your children to live THEIR OWN LIVES?

Sad.

[quote="Catholic90, post:19, topic:270546"]
Joining the priesthood is in NO WAY destroying their lives.

So you are saying anyone who does not marry is as good as dead? What if your child never found someone to marry, or chose not to get married? Would you not like that either? Are you saying that unmarried people have no worth as human beings?

How about you allow your children to live THEIR OWN LIVES?

Sad.

[/quote]

I want get to married and have kids. I am looking to become a Catholic to aid me in this. If the church ever at any time poses any kind of road block or hindrance to these goals, I'm bailing. I was told that Jesus died so that I may live and I'm giving him a chance to prove he wasn't lying. I am definitely not here to die so that Jesus may live.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.