When Satan tempts Jesus

In the Douay Rheims Bible Chapter 5 it reads; and the devil led Him into a high mountain, and shewed Him all the Kingdoms of the world in a moment of time; 6 reads; and He said to Him; to Thee will I give all this power and the glory of them; for to me they are delivered; and to whom I will give them. My question is; How can Satan give to Jesus what He had already created and was already His? Was he lying or does chapter 6 mean that God the Father had given Satan these Kingdoms for a period of time for this particular mission or test? It is a little confusing to me. Am I interpreting these verses correctly?
Thank you, Brenda

We should never forget Jesus in His humanity.
Everything He went through in His earthly life points to how WE should respond to the trials of life. He came to instruct and to save.
Peace.

John 12:31 “Now is the time of judgment on this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out.”

John 14:30 “I will no longer speak much with you, for the ruler of the world is coming. He has no power over me”

John 16:11 “the ruler of this world has been condemned.”

John 17:16 “They do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world.”

But…

John 8:44 “There is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks in character, because he is a liar and the father of lies.”

Yes, Satan was lying. As usual.

God had blinded Satan from knowing that Jesus was God Himself, and so Satan thought he could tempt Jesus to sin by offering to give him certain things. Obviously Satan doesn’t “possess” the kingdoms of the world in a literal sense, but he does in another sense: by sin. It is no myth that Satan can make deals with men who open themselves to him, and exert his power of temptation through sin in the world to carry out his “side of the deal” with a man. It is all a lie, however, because ultimately, Satan is only interested in dragging down as many souls into Hell as possible, and all he gives and gets goes along with his goals.

One of the traits of evil is evil believes its own lies.
Liars, whether Satan or a person, become so enmeshed in lies that they are unable and unwilling to even try to discern truth.

The three temptations of Jesus mirror the three challenges faced by Israel when they left bondage in Egypt. In all three cases, the devil challenges Jesus’ filial relationship to God his Father and in all three cases Jesus succeeds where Israel had failed.

The first temptation is in the area of food and provision. The devil attacks Jesus’ humanity through his hunger. Jesus was tempted to change stones into bread. Israel grumbled for food and wanted to go back to Egypt where food was plentiful. Jesus quotes scripture to the devil and saying that God the Father will feed him in the same way that he had fed the Israelites in the desert.

Satan realizes that he cannot trip Jesus up through human frailty so he attacks Jesus’ trust in his Father directly. The second temptation is to not trust God for protection. Jesus is by Satan to put the Father to the test by throwing himself down. Israel also did not trust God who had called Israel his son saying to Pharaoh, “Let my son go so that he may serve me in the desert.”

Satan then attacks Jesus’ divinity directly, offering Jesus control of all the world if Jesus worships him. This corresponds to Israel’s choice to worship the golden calf.

All three attacks (provision, filial trust, divinity) defeat Israel but Jesus is successful in defending against them. Moses never made it into the promised land. Jesus succeeds.

-Tim-

The Devil at this point did not know who exactly Jesus was…namely he didn’t know that Jesus was the Son of God, and Lord. If the devil had possessed this knowledge then he would not have tried to offer him what was already his. That is the reason. He may have had a suspicion that he was a holy man and prophet, but hardly the Son of God. And Jesus did not make himself known to the Devil at this time.

And so in Lk 4;13 it says that the devil departed for a while. Meaning the Devil isn’t finished with Jesus. Which again indicates that he really doesn’t know who Jesus is.

May Holy Spirit fill you with joy.

Thank you. May God bless you too.

Yes. It is my understanding that Jesus didn’t know everything before his death. Jesus learned from his divine Father.

Jesus tasted death. However, death himself was oblitereated and made a fool by the resurrection.

We will also taste death, albeit unpleasant. God went through the same thing we will go through, although on different terms (one more reason we should cherish God).

Where do you guys get that Satan didn’t know Jesus’ true identity?

And the tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.” (Matthew 4:3)

Satan tries to get Jesus to doubt that he really is God’s Son. The many demon’s cast out by Jesus certainly know who he is. If the demon’s know then how could Satan not have known?

I’m not trying to challenge. I would really like to know where you guys get that because I have never heard of it.

-Tim-

You are assuming that Satan is all knowing. Satan doesn’t posess the Truth. God made a fool of Satan.

I’m not assuming anything. I’m asking a question.

Satan clearly challenges Jesus’ identity as the Son of God and the demon’s know who he is so my question still stands. Where do you guys get that? Did you read it somewhere? I never heard of it.

-Tim-

If I am not mistaken, the temptation in the desert occurs before any encounter between Jesus and Satan’s demons. Saying this, and given that both Satan and Jesus did not “know everything”, they both had time to learn of one another.

To add to that, I don’t know if Satan knew Jesus’s true identity. But, I believe he didn’t know Jesus’s true identity.

Rev. 12:4b-5 4bThen the dragon stood before the woman about to give birth, to devour her child when she gave birth. 5 She gave birth to a son, a male child, destined to rule all the nations with an iron rod. Her child was caught up to God and his throne.

I think Satan knew exactly who Jesus was.

That’s fine, but that quote doesn’t say that Satan knew exactly who Jesus was.

Your responses are appreciated teeboy. Since you have not told me that you read this somewhere or heard it from somewhere else, is it safe to assume that you discerned this yourself?

I would still like to know where Fred and dshix got the idea that Satan didn’t know who Jesus was. It would be very interesting to know if this comes from some commentary or some other place. To be honest, I don’t believe it.

If Satan didn’t know who Jesus was then who did he think he was dealing with out in the desert? Did Satan just go out into the desert to harass some random guy? Or did he think that it was Job risen from the dead?

-Tim-

Good question.

As I understand it reading the old testament, the son of God was applied to a very holy person, usually a prophet, king, etc. It meant that they were the chosen one of God.

The word that indicates God is the word Lord.

Even having said that, in the new testament, when the son of God is used, it could refer to either Jesus being God or being a holy prophet, even the messiah. It depends on the context of how it was spoken and even then it might be just a good guess as to which it was.

However I believe that one of the devils, tho I’m not sure, did call Jesus the son of God before Jesus cast him out of a man. But again, was this a reference to God or messiah prophet?

CCC 441 -gives the meaning of the Son of God.

May God our Father give you grace and peace.

I believe Satan couldn’t know who Jesus was unless he was present at Jesus’s conception. We know that Jesus’s birth was a Holy event because it can be found in the Bible. Jesus and Mary had full armor against Satan; Mary in her Immaculate Conception and in her conception of Jesus, because Jesus was born of the Holy Spirit. Satan has no power over the Holy Spirit and he had no power over Jesus.

Now, I do believe Satan had and has knowledge of God the Father. You see, Satan thought he had free reign on Earth; however, a new King was ushered in. This King was of the line of David; however, this new King is a tough dealer and can use his enemy for his own glory, but only with the power of the Father. Authority and power are not the same thing. We can make the King’s job a lot easier by just avoiding sin.

And yes, these writings are my own and are original; however maybe I am not the first to publish such writings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.