When should we respond online?

For some reason one of the new, cool things to do online is to mock those with religious beliefs. When should we respond to these comments? I’ve seen many comments online, and I’m sure you have as well, which bash the Church. When it’s not calling God a “sky fairy” or something similar, it’s usually an ignorant comment along the lines of “all priests are pedophiles” or “that religion endorses murder, slavery, and rape”. I feel that the people making the comments are usually not willing to listen when corrected (in fact some attack it and you more when you defend it), but at the same time, it would be bad if these beliefs spread more and people didn’t know the actual truth. So what do you guys think?

I’m not responding to this.

-Tim-

I don’t think that you intended to “make a funny” here, but thanks for that giggle!

And your being helpful how?

To the OP, when you find the answer let me know. I struggle with this. But ive learned better safe than sorry. Ignore 90 percent of the illogical under educated remarks on the internet.

isaacalsop is right. Ignore it. It’s nothing new. T

hey nailed Jesus to a tree because they didn’t believe he was who he claimed to be, burned and tortured Christians, and tried to kill the Popes. It’s nothing new.

If all they can muster is anonymously calling God a sky fairy on the internet then I say let them have at it all they want. If they had any guts they would march into the nearest Church, stand up in the middle of the service and tell the congregation that they are a bunch of fools.

I’ll worry when they start surrounding my local parish with pitchforks and torches.

-Tim-

This exact thing made me question being on social media. I always felt the need to try to correct people, in a nice way, when I felt the Church or God or Christianity was being attacked. It never was very fruitful as my calmness always incited more anger :shrug: I always try and leave emotion out of the equation and stick to facts but facts are not really what people seem to want anymore. Feelings seem to be the measure of right and wrong currently which is just ridiculous. And if you are commenting on any of the “sacred cow” topics you can be sure the arrows will be loosed :slapfight: and you will just be labeled a bigot.

Proverbs says “do not throw your pearls before swine”. I am assuming that you are seeing these statements on things like facebook and twitter. If you seem to have “friends” on facebook that do this alot, then I would just defriend them, they are not worth it. If this is twitter, then stop following these people. There isn’t much you can do and if it is people you know, you do not have to put up with being harassed by these things. don’t waste your time on them, they will not listen like you said and in the end, they will answer to God for the lies and myths they are spreading and that is one position I wouldn’t want to be in.

Agreed. You will not convince anyone who replies to a blog. The guy who replied will probably never visit the blog again. Ignore this nonsense. Come here instead.

It seems to me that we should pray for those who make such offensive statements. One way is the Five First Saturdays Devotion. You can find out about it here: themostholyrosary.com/appendix2.htm

“Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips” - Ps. 141:3

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.