When someone is responsible for other's soul condemnation

Hi, this question just came out in my mind before, so I’m just seeking opinions here.

Everyone has the chance to be with our Lord in Heaven provided they repent and is free from mortal sin before they die. But I was thinking what if someone is responsible for other’s condemnation to hell? Let’s say “someone” influences “another person” to commit mortal sin(such as telling another person it’s okay to do such as such thing), and the “another person” dies in mortal sin and the soul is condemned to hell. And after this, “someone” sincerely repent, but yet he has caused another person’s soul to be condemned. Wouldn’t this seem a bit unfair?

Nobody - not even Satan himself - can be hold responsible for someone’s rejection of God. The only way someone ends in the state of hell is by full knowledge and deliberate consent to sin and reject God and not repenting. And everyone gets a chance to repent, even if it be on deathbed and in ways so mysterious that no man has heard of.

If a person is told that “it’s okay to do such as such thing” even though it is a mortal sin, we could certainly argue that the conditions are lacking for the person to commit a mortal sin, because he is in ignorance, and our merciful and infinitely just Lord knows what that person would actually have done, had he known it was a mortal sin.

In short, (a) nothing that God does is unfair, and if it seems so, then somewhere there is a flaw in our argument, (b) nobody can be “responsible from someone’s condemnation to hell”, for that is an individual choice and wherever sin abounds, grace abounds all the more so that there is no temptation that cannot be overcome, and nothing that justifies final impenitence, and © the person who willfully deceives or otherwise leads someone into mortal sin is in big trouble :sad_yes: remember the “large millstone”?

Edit: I’d like to add something. If by absurd we say your argument holds, why would it be unfair? If two of God’s children get in trouble, don’t you think God will rejoice if at least one of the two is saved? Do you think it would be more fair if God does not accept the other one’s repentance (as if He could do so)? Do you think God would be able to cross His arms and rejoice of His justice if both are in hell, rather than if at least one of the two accepted His free gifts of grace and repented and was saved?

We are all responsible for the fate of our own soul

Ezekiel 18:20 The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them

There was a scripture verse in the Gospels that always stayed within me and it is when Jesus says not to offend any of these little ones (He is referring to the young children) for it will better if you have a large millstone hung around your neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea if you do(Matt. 18:6). This does not mean the child is not saved but your actions towards this child who believes in the Lord to cause him or her to sin grievously is an offence that merits the warning Jesus has given to us here.

I see what you are implying. One person could like counsel and direct another person towards evil, and lead towards their eternal damnation, but then repent.

Definitely the first person has committed a very grave sin in leading the second person astray, and they will suffer harsh temporal punishment for it, but if they repent before death and return to God, there is no reason that they should not be forgiven, since God is all-forgiving.

Ok, to give another twist to this…What if someone confesses a mortal sin to you? What obligation do you have? To point out to them it is wrong and that they should seek forgiveness? I’ve had this happen, and I’ve always wondered what to do. The person who “confessed” to me did not give me details and has seemingly no remorse.

The only example I can think of is a parent forcing a minor child to have an abortion. In this case-the parent committed mortal sin. The child honored their parent, and may be ignorant to the importance/mortal sin part, and even if not God will use his divine judgement. The parent needs to repent.

There is a verse from Ezekiel 3:18 where the Lord says:

“Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. If I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand.

Ezekiel was a prophet with a particular message God wanted to speak through him. But I think we can all glean a general principle from that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.