When someone lies is commiting a mortal sin

It is against one of the 10 commandments, and every lie is deliberate,or it would not be a lie.
Being a mortal sin,do you think there are a lot of people receiving communion nonetheless?

I don't think the only criteria for grave matter is violation of a Commandment.

I'm not even sure every lie is deliberate.

Mortal sin requires full knowledge and I doubt many people have full knowledge that lying is grave matter (which I don't think it automatically is). So even if every lie was grave matter and done with full consent I doubt many people would have full knowledge and therefore it would not be mortal sin.

It is also a violation of the law of Jesus Christ to love God above all things for His own sake, and to love our neighbor as ourself for the love of God. God is Truth, the opposite of lies. Some lies are venial sins and some are mortal sins. For it to be a mortal sin the lie has to be something serious, you know it is serious, and you do it anyway.

When I tell a telemarketer that my husband is not home when he is home, it’s a lie. It’s not a mortal sin, but I have stopped telling this lie, because it still violates my relationship with God to some degree. God is Truth.

[quote="Cathryn, post:3, topic:184419"]
It is a violation of the law of Jesus Christ to love God above all things for His own sake, and to love our neighbor as ourself for the love of God.

[/quote]

I don't understand what you are saying here.

God is Truth, the opposite of lies. Some lies are venial sins and some are mortal sins. For it to be a mortal sin the lie has to be something serious, you know it is serious, and you do it anyway.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

A lie can be venial matter. Venial matter is not transformed into grave matter merely by being deliberate. Thus, a lie need not be a mortal sin.

Remember, mortal sin is not an invisible trap. As long as we teach people to examine themselves before communion, they will be able to know if they ought to go up to receive or not. It will not be invisible to them, usually, if they know to look first.

I do not see how you determine if is grave or not.It is a very subjective decision then.
I believe that if you realize you are giving a false statement with full knowledge and consent it is wrong, no ifs or buts.

[quote="Tamsulosin, post:6, topic:184419"]
I do not see how you determine if is grave or not.It is a very subjective decision then.
I believe that if you realize you are giving a false statement with full knowledge and consent it is wrong, no ifs or buts.

[/quote]

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) offers some small guidance for determining the gravity of an untruth:*2484 **The *gravity of a lie is measured against the nature of the truth it deforms, the circumstances, the intentions of the one who lies, and the harm suffered by its victims. If a lie in itself only constitutes a venial sin, it becomes mortal when it does grave injury to the virtues of justice and charity.
When you say, "giving a false statement", I suspect maybe you have in mind false witness, and not just what is covered by the common usage of the word lie. False witness is serious stuff.

Also, even if we call certain lies *venial *that does not mean they are not wrong. Venial sins are wrong, and ought not be done. It is just that if a sin is categorized as venial, then this means it has not destroyed charity from within my heart.

People seem so accustomed to state little untruths during the day that they have grown to accept them as normal.The built -in defensive mechanism make them utter whatever is
convenient not to look bad, or to cover any mistake, or to be politically correct.
Ex :What happened to the copy machine? It is jammed!!!!!!!!!!!!
The defensive answer:I do not know(when in fact you fed it too many copies at once.)
If you took responsibility you know all the employees will repeat that Ms so and so broke it, and they may tell your boss,so you say I do not know,I found it like that.
You should say that you accidentally and unintentionally may have caused it, but you will try to take care of the problem right away.Be brave and face what is coming to you.
Next time be more careful.
I have been a boss at work, and you would be surprised how this tests of character do impress the employer.

If a telemarketer calls:People may respond :My husband is not here.
In fact that is untrue and even dangerous, and they will try calling again. Better
tell him or her"I appreciate your efforts on behalf of your company, but we do not need the services you offer .Thank you anyways. "
What I am trying to say that we should endevour to find an answer that takes care of the questions without resorting to lies.
If we do that, we will get more sensitive to the ugliness of lies, and people will realize the value of our word.
If I have lied, I find it difficult to go to communion with those "venial" specks present in my soul.
I can't think of a case in which you will"need" to lie.Do you?

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

2484 The gravity of a lie is measured against the nature of the truth it deforms, the circumstances, the intentions of the one who lies, and the harm suffered by its victims. If a lie in itself only constitutes a venial sin, it becomes mortal when it does grave injury to the virtues of justice and charity.

an example of grave matter would be to lie under oath....(this is perjury)

or to lie and say that so and so stole $500 (this would be calumny)

often lies are venial matter...but of course one should avoid them too...

[quote="Tamsulosin, post:1, topic:184419"]
It is against one of the 10 commandments, and every lie is deliberate,or it would not be a lie.
Being a mortal sin,do you think there are a lot of people receiving communion nonetheless?

[/quote]

If I gave any thought to whether other folks are receiving communion when they should not be, I would have no time to spend on remembering, confessing and doing penance for my own sins--that is a full time job.

In Christian charity, the basic rule is we assume the very best construction we can put on any situation we see. If someone is receiving communion, no matter what we think we know or guess about his life, we assume he has just made a good confession and is receiving worthily.

Tamsulosin,

I agree that it is distressingly easy to fall into the habit of making covering lies at work, especially those made for the purpose of avoiding confrontation or hurting someone's feelings. I strive to root them out of my life. You are right that there is an answer or a refusal to answer for most any situation in ordinary life, with no need to lie.

I don't have trouble going to communion with venial specks on my soul, though. I have two thoughts to offer on that. One, I will always have done something wrong. Two, communion wipes away venial sins, so I am grateful to approach so that I may be better for my beloved (the Lord). This way I may better die to myself, and be less wrongly attached to creatures. I am sorry, though, of course, as I approach.

Telemarketer calls still exist? I guess they do. I love the do not call list. :love: I no longer responded to whatever the person said. I said something like, Please remove me from your calling list and don't call again. Thanks. Click.

www.donotcall.gov

Lies are not always mortal sins, true

But it’s amazing, since my reversion a few years ago I’ve really started examining my life in regards to truth telling.

Not an easy issue as a soon-to-be lawyer - far too many of my fellow lawyers and clients tend to be VERY creative with their truthtelling.

I’ve really started noticing of recent times how if one commits to telling the truth it is usually possible. The number of times I’ve found people to be extremely understanding when I admit to something embarrassing or find myself saying something other than the lying platitude is incredible.

Congratulations Lily M,the world needs laywers like you, direct and truthful.:thumbsup:

[LIST]
*]

[quote="Tamsulosin, post:1, topic:184419"]

[/quote]

*]

It is also a violation of the law of Jesus Christ to love God above all things for His own sake, and to love our neighbor as ourself for the love of God. God is Truth, the opposite of lies. Some lies are venial sins and some are mortal sins. For it to be a mortal sin the lie has to be something serious, you know it is serious, and you do it anyway.

When I tell a telemarketer that my husband is not home when he is home, it's a lie. It's not a mortal sin, but I have stopped telling this lie, because it still violates my relationship with God to some degree. God is Truth.

[/quote]

[/LIST]
Withholding the truth from someone who is not entitled to the truth is not a sin -- neither mortal nor venial. If it were, then Jesus would have been guilty of sinning in John 7:8-10 when He told His family that He wasn't attending the feast but went on to attend ...
[LIST]
*][bibledrb]John 7:8-10[/bibledrb]
[/LIST]
... Since we know that Jesus never sinned, withholding the truth and/or sharing false information with someone who is not entitled to the truth is not a sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.