When to consume?

Hi all,
I have a silly question that I should know the answer to, but don’t. When I was a kid my Dad taught me that we shouldn’t consume (swallow) the Eucharist until we’ve returned to our pews and can kneel in reverence. Is this so? Is it necessary, or optional? Needless to say, I see many people begin munching before they’ve even turned to head back to their seats. I’ve never heard this question talked about in my adult life as a Catholic and wonder whether my Dad knew what he was talking about.

Follow-up question: does the same rule apply to the consumption of Communion Wine? Are we supposed to hold it in our mouths like mouthwash, along with the Communion wafer, until we get back to our seats?

Voila. Please advise. :wink:
+AMDG+

You can swallow as soon as you receive. Jesus is still with you when you return to your pew; you can still spend time in reverent prayer at that time.

The Mysteries should be consumed as soon as they are placed in your mouth.

If you wait till you return to your pew, you might accidentally cough it out.

consume immediately, accept the host on the tongue, or if in the hand immediately place it in the mouth, if it is the old style, thin and easily dissolved, swallow it, otherwise, chew and swallow. No waiting. Christ said take and eat, my Body is real food. Same with the wine, ideally you should have already swallowed the Host, sip and swallow the wine immediately.

This is what Redemptionis Sacramentum has to say on the matter:

[92.] Although each of the faithful always has the right to receive Holy Communion on the tongue, at his choice,178 if any communicant should wish to receive the Sacrament in the hand, in areas where the Bishops’ Conference with the recognitio of the Apostolic See has given permission, the sacred host is to be administered to him or her. However, special care should be taken to ensure that the host is consumed by the communicant in the presence of the minister, so that no one goes away carrying the Eucharistic species in his hand. If there is a risk of profanation, then Holy Communion should not be given in the hand to thefaithful.179

If you elect to receive Holy Communion in the hand, you need to consume the Host right away and not carry it off to consume it later. Consumption needs to happen immediately.

I’ve heard you’re not supposed to put the host in your mouth while turning to go back to your seat. Is this wrong?

Again, you are supposed to consume the Host as soon as you receive. Please re-read what I posted. Well-meaningi folks will offer advice that is often contrary to what the Church mandates. Please refer to the authoritative documents of the Chuch rather than someone’s well-meaning, but, misguided advice.

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful replies!
Boy, was I ever mistaken…!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.