When to omit the Creed?

I’m so confused. For the most part, we say the Creed at every Sunday Mass or Solemnity, depending on who the priest is that week. But…when our priest has something special he wants to do (congratulate a committee on work done, give a special blessing to a group (Sunday School teachers, teens in our youth group before a work trip, etc - (sometimes this includes a renewal of baptismal vows, sometimes not, etc.) he will do it after his homily and then omit the Creed.

Is omitting the Creed allowed in these cases? I guess my gut tells me he should be doing these things after Mass - after the final blessing - or perhaps before the final blessing since that is when he makes announcements.

Does anyone know? Thank you!

No.

If Baptism is taking place and everyone repeats Baptismal vows, I believe it suffices. Otherwise: No.

Anna

If there is a renewal of baptismal vows then the creed is omitted. It would be redundant to have both.

But sometimes the renewal of baptismal vows is part of a rite or commissioning that takes place during Mass and may not be as obvious if the priest directs the questions to a specific group of people.

From the GIRM:
68. The Creed is to be sung or said by the priest together with the people on Sundays and Solemnities. It may be said also at particular celebrations of a more solemn character.

If it is sung, it is begun by the priest or, if this is appropriate, by a cantor or by the choir. It is sung, however, either by all together or by the people alternating with the choir.

If not sung, it is to be recited by all together or by two parts of the assembly responding one to the other.
So clearly, the Profession of Faith may never be omitted licitly on a Sunday or Solemnity. It appears that the final sentence in the instruction above would be satisfied by the question/response version of the Creed in the special circumstance of a Baptism.

As for the other part of the original post, announcements and special blessing should take place as part of the concluding rites(GIRM paragraph 90), not after or in place of the homily and certainly not in lieu of the Creed.

This is a good point.

There is to always be a Profession of Faith. Sometimes this profession is in the form a recited creed. Sometimes it is in the form of questions and answers,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.