When to Pray LOTH

I have been praying the Liturgy of the Hours off and on for months now using "Christian Prayer" but now it seems that I'm just not fitting time in to my schedule to pray it. I feel like I need to almost force myself onto a schedule of daily praying the prayers so that they will not slack off.

My question is, what time do you pray each of the hours in Christian Prayer. Right now I've only prayed the Invitatory, Morning Prayer (Lauds), Evening Prayer (Vespers), and Night Prayer (Compline).

Thanks and any suggestions to add to my praying of the LOTH will be appreciated!

I do Invitatory and Morning Prayer when I get to work (8-9 am) and I do Night Prayer with my son and wife when he goes to bed (7-8 pm). I haven't had a chance to fit Evening Prayer in just yet.

Time made to say the prayers is probably more important than the exact time you say them. Do what works for you.

I'm just doing Night Prayer right now about 9 pm.

Madeline Pecora Nugent wrote a wonderful book called The Divine Office for Dodos which discusses how and when to pray the Offices. I highly recommend it.

[quote="landon13, post:1, topic:315315"]
I have been praying the Liturgy of the Hours off and on for months now using "Christian Prayer" but now it seems that I'm just not fitting time in to my schedule to pray it. I feel like I need to almost force myself onto a schedule of daily praying the prayers so that they will not slack off.

[/quote]

You seem to be starting out just fine then.

If you ask anyone who starts praying the LOTH, you're going to hear them say the same exact thing. When you start out, the best way is to have a good schedule and to try and stick to it, forcing yourself if you need to.

Even when you find yourself consistently praying them every day, don't be surprised if for the first couple months it feels more clunky then anything else. It is a style of prayer that is quite different then other common devotions (like the Rosary), and so it will take a little while to get use to it.

You might not get that feeling that you are praying (as opposed to what feels like working) for a little while, but if you keep persevering you will eventually start to incorporate it as part of your life. There will come a day where you will feel like you're missing something because you haven't prayed Evening Prayer or something, but that's not going to happen right away.

The most important thing when starting to pray the LOTH is to keep at it and don't get yourself down if you miss an hour. Sometimes it happens, so just pick up the book and move on to the next hour.

My question is, what time do you pray each of the hours in Christian Prayer. Right now I've only prayed the Invitatory, Morning Prayer (Lauds), Evening Prayer (Vespers), and Night Prayer (Compline).

[/quote]

That's an excellent start. Morning and Evening Prayer are the major hours of the LOTH to start praying. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the other hours until you have these 3 down to a routine and an ordinary part of your life.

The times are not as strict. Pray Morning Prayer in the morning, Evening Prayer in the Evening*, and Night Prayer before you go to bed. If you want an example, my Seminary prays MP at 6:30am, Evening Prayer at 5:15pm, and Night Prayer at 8:30pm. That's just an example though, you don't have to pray any of these at those exact times.

*strictly speaking, in most diocese the liturgical evening begins at 4pm. Generally, you can go by whenever the earliest Saturday evening Mass is. Night is generally after the sun goes down, but this can be later than 10pm in the summer where I am, so that's not a hard rule.

Thanks and any suggestions to add to my praying of the LOTH will be appreciated!

[/quote]

It's a question of discipline and I would be lying if I said it came to me easily. But eventually the LOTH has come to occupy a huge part of my life and has been my beacon of stability in some pretty turbulent times. I have some variability in my schedule as I work from home 2x per week and commute 1.5 hours each way the other days so I try to grab more sleep on the days I work from home, and weekends are somewhat different as well, but basically a day when I commute looks like this:

5:30 am, rise, putter around the kitchen a bit, and pray the Invitatory and Office of Readings at approx. 5:40 am, at home
7:00 am, Lauds, at home
9:00 am, Terce, at the office
11:45 am, Sext, at the office
3:00 pm, None, at the office
6:30 pm (varies, +/- 30 min depending on how bad traffic is on drive home), Vespers, at home.
9:15 pm, Compline.

Where do find the LOTH? I have Magnificat magazine but I m not 100% sure that includes the LOTH. I'm clueless on this.

[/quote]

Let me just say thanks for making the effort to pray the entire Divine Office. I get some consolation from knowing I'm not bound to pray all the hours of the Breviary. Having said that here's my sked for the LOTH:

All days of the week: The Invitiatory, Morning Prayer and Night Prayer.
Saturday, Sunday and Monday: Include Evening Prayer.

On workdays, I'll pray the Invitiatory before I read and meditate on the daily Mass readings. On my commute to work, I listen to Morning Prayer. After my nightly prayers, I'll get into bed and offer the Night Prayer before going to sleep.
On my days off, I'll pray the Invitiatory and Morning Prayer as a single unit. Evening Prayer is said after dinner in the evening.

What makes it easy for me? the LOTH app from DivineOffice.org.

Hope this helps,

Joe

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.