When was CCC#841 written

And does that mean it can’t be revised at all in the future by the Vatican?

841 The Church’s relationship with the Muslims. “The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day.”

Hello.I can’t answer your question as to when #841 in the CCC.May I also suggest #598-#600,#846-#848.I Pray our Lord lead and guide you to the fullness of truth.

it is a direct quote from Lumen Gentium #16, from the Second Vatican Council. Nostra Aetate #3 also from Vatican2 says substantially the same thing and in fact expands on it a bit.

in the peace of christ.

what is the citation for this passage? look at the footnote and either look up in the companion to the CCC, or the original document, to get the full teaching.

From Wikipedia search on “Nostra Aetate”, I can assume it was approved in 1965, (please correct me if I’m wrong here).

However, some of my fellow Muslims claim that since CCC#841 would include all Muslims in the plan of salvation then no need to convert to Christianity in that case.

What are your opinions on that?

Your Muslim friends are cherry-picking out of the Catechism. You cannot read 841 alone but must read it along with all of the rest of the Catechism and other Church documents.

The Church is clear that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. The Church is also very clear that all religions are NOT equal and that salvation is found only throught Christ and his Church.

The passage in no way exempts anyone from the responsibility of always desiring and searching for the truth.

Lumen Gentium was promulgated in '64 and as you note, Nostra Aetate in '65. Even a fairly cursory reading of Nostra Aetate makes clear that Islam is not on equal standing with Christianity.

Muslims think Christians relationship with the God of Abraham, but it does not mean that Christians don’t need to repent and return to right worship of God. In fact, Christians are guilty of, at the very least(!), shirk. Likewise, the Church affirms that Muslims worship God, but this is not the same as fully endorsing Islam. A cursory reading of Nostra Aetate or the surrounding articles of the CCC should make that clear very quickly.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.