When we died we go to purgatory before we can entry into heaven?

Hi everyone,
I saw this video on YouTube. I’m not sure what I’m hearing is correct or just misleading. Is this true when we died we go to purgatory before we can entry into heaven? And does the Vatican own billions in cash revenue?,

Watch the below video on YouTube (link) and tell me if this stuff right ??

youtube.com/watch?v=RDJlNzdD99Q&NR=1

I don’t usually waste time watching anti-Catholic videos on YouTube, but I will address Purgatory briefly.

Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell
davidmacd.com/catholic/purgatory.htm

According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

All who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven. (Catechism 1030)

Here’s a simple illustration of what Catholics believe is Purgatory’s place in the scheme of things. (Due to the limitations of the forum software, I can’t re-produce the original graphic image seen at the website above. Please imagine an arrowhead at the end of the line pointing from Purgatory to Heaven, and ignore the dots I am forced to use as spacers.)

…Heaven (eternal)
…/
…/…
…/…
…Earth------>Purgatory (temporary)

…Hell (eternal)

Catholics believe that some people go straight to Heaven, which is also what Evangelicals believe. It would be very cool to go straight to Heaven. Let’s pray for each other for that. The Church believes that Purgatory is a place to clean up the effects of “Venial Sin” (not Mortal Sin which if un-repented, leads to eternal punishment - hell). If we were to put it in Evangelical terms, Purgatory would be where the backslider would get cleaned up before joining the wedding banquet of the Lord - so he wouldn’t be thrown out (Mat 22:12). For nothing unclean can enter the presence of God in heaven (Rev. 21:27). Purgatory does not remove sin itself. Jesus did that on the Cross. Purgatory removes the effects of sin. An imperfect way to look at it is to think of a nail hammered into a piece of wood. My father would pull the nail out of the wood (sin) but there would still be a dent in the wood. Purgatory is the process of straightening out the wood (the effect of sin). Certainly Jesus can and does the clean up. He is a merciful God but he is also a ***just ***God.

People who rebelliously refuse to believe that Jesus is Lord and who do not yield to Him don’t go to Purgatory. They go to hell.

When you die you undergo what is known as particular judgement.

Basically you are going to hell or you will go to heaven or be purged of any remaining stain of sin. (purgatory)

So, if you are in purgatory you are on your way to heaven.

The Vatican has a budget. Yes it does receive money.

Bottom line - if you donate a painting today to the Vatican and in 500 years it gains immense value would you wish the Vatican to sell it or keep it on display?

Vatican Runs Deficit Amid Global Economic Crisis

The budget of the Vatican is about that of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles or Chicago.

Contrary to what many people, especially pop-evangelicals think, “the Vatican” is not rolling in wealth.

And if all the great works of art in Vatican City were sold tomorrow, you’d get enough money to feel all the poor in the world for a few weeks. Then what?

Not everyone HAS to go to Purgatory; it can be avoided.

From the CCC:

**1472 **To understand this doctrine and practice of the Church, it is necessary to understand that sin has a double consequence. Grave sin deprives us of communion with God and therefore makes us incapable of eternal life, the privation of which is called the “eternal punishment” of sin. On the other hand every sin, even venial, entails an unhealthy attachment to creatures, which must be purified either here on earth, or after death in the state called Purgatory. This purification frees one from what is called the “temporal punishment” of sin. These two punishments must not be conceived of as a kind of vengeance inflicted by God from without, but as following from the very nature of sin. A conversion which proceeds from a fervent charity can attain the complete purification of the sinner in such a way that no punishment would remain.

You might find this helpful:

God’s Mercy is Greater: The Teaching of St. Theresa of Lisieux on Purgatory

Also, have you heard of the Prayer for Daily Neglects? It appears in Prayers and Heavenly Promises by Joan Carroll Cruz. (It is also posted on this site.)

A Prayer For Daily Neglects

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Sacred Heart of Jesus, with all its love, all its sufferings and all its merits.

First – To expiate all the sins I have committed this day and during all my life.

(Glory be to the Father and to the Son and the Holy Ghost as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.)

Second – To purify the good I have done badly this day and during all my life.

(Glory Be to the Father…)

Third – To minister for the good I ought to have done, and that I have neglected this day and during all my life.

(Glory Be to the Father…)

A poor Clare nun who had just died, appeared to her Abbess, who was praying for her, and said to her, "I went straight to Heaven, for, by means of this prayer, recited every evening, I paid all my debts."

I just addressed the Vatican wealth topic in extreme depth over on this thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=153704&page=2

My responses are from post 28-34.

Pique, God Bless you in your search for the Truth of our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ!

If you are not well educated in the Truth of the Catholic Faith, then don’t watch idiotic you tube videos with titles like “Bible or Traditions!”** The title of this video alone is a totally false premise. It is Bible & Traditions (Sacred Traditions, not man made traditions!), many of the Sacred Traditions were around long before the New Testament was written & defined by the Catholic Church!**

Sacred Traditions are required, man made traditions are not. **"And we charge you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother walking disorderly and not according to the tradition which they have received of us.’ (2 Thess 3:6) **

Start by reading Sacred Scripture, the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) & use sites like CA & others to learn the Truth. Then you can chose to agree or disagree.

Here’s a great site to access the CCC when you have a question on what the Church teaches & why; scborromeo.org/ccc.htm.

Do not believe the lies spread by these false prophets. Jesus teaches us;“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in the clothing of sheep, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.” (Mt 7:15)

These ignorant & truly sad conspiracy theory fools probably believe that the US government caused 9/11! They call the pope the ‘idol shepard’ & accuse him of controlling billions of $$$ in a sinister manner. Sounds like the Dan Brown, Tom Hanks & Opie (Ron Howard) crowd!

Sure the Vatican has millions or even billions in assets, & i’m sure some of it is wasted. The people in the Church are human & make mistakes, even the Pope!

**The US Congress controls trillions of $$$$ & they surely are corrupt & wasting most of the citizen’s hard earned money, that is a far bigger issue! They wanted to use citizens tax $$$ to pay for abortions, to murder innocent babies, despite the fact that a large majority of US citizens are against it! **

**Pray that all those in positions of authority, both in the Church & in secular life, use the authority & monies entrusted to them for the Glory of God!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!**

mark

I am not an economist but hording so much cash is unhealthy; especially in a declining monetary system. Now if you compare assets/revenue from Catholic to Protestant (group all protestants together, as it should be done when t his comparison is made), you might be surprised to find out that protestantism in totality hold more lands, buildings and churches, universities, etc in total verses the CC. Joel Osteen makes more in one sunday than 1000 priests salaries in 10 sundays…

be carefull what you read on the internet, always check two or more **credible **sources when researching anything.

In Christ

That’s just another anti-Catholic, bigoted YouTube based on nothing more than blantant lies. And who is the father of lies, you should ask yourself? Satan, of course. So, that YouTube is sponsored and promoted by Satan. Don’t listen to it.

Thank you so much everyone for your help :slight_smile: I’m just wondering what things can we do that will help us go straight to heaven ?? and that will reducing the chances of us going to purgatory

Hey Pique,

this is the place to come to for answers. when in doubt ask and our members do a great job of giving thoughtful and truthful answers. take care.

Here are some suggestions:

From How to Avoid Purgatory, Ch. 13 by Fr. Paul O’Sullivan

1. In every prayer you say, every Mass you hear, every Communion you receive, every good work you perform, have the express intention of imploring God to grant you a holy and happy death and no Purgatory. Surely God will hear a prayer said with such confidence and perseverance.
  1. Always wish to do God’s will. It is in every sense the best for you. When you do or seek anything that is not God’s will, you are sure to suffer. Say fervently, therefore, each time you recite the Our Father: “Thy will be done”
  1. Accept all the sufferings, sorrows, pains and disappointments of life, be they great or small: ill health, loss of goods, the death of your dear ones, heat or cold, rain or sunshine, as coming from God. Bear them calmly and patiently for love of Him and in penance for your sins. Of course one may use all his efforts to ward off trouble and pain, but when one cannot avoid them let him bear them manfully. Impatience and revolt make sufferings vastly greater and more difficult to bear.
  1. Christ’s life and actions are so many lessons for us to imitate. The greatest act in His life was His Passion. As He had a Passion, so each one of us has a passion. Our passion consists in the sufferings and labours of every day. The penance God imposed on man for sin was to gain his bread in the sweat of his brow. Therefore, let us do our work, accept its disappointments and hardships, and bear our pains in union with the Passion of Christ. We gain more merit by a little pain than by years of pleasure.
  1. Forgive all injuries and offences, for in proportion as we forgive others, God forgives us.
  1. Avoid mortal sins and deliberate venial sins and break off all bad habits. Then it will be relatively easy to satisfy God’s justice for sins of frailty. Above all, avoid sins against charity and against chastity, whether in thought, word or deed, for these sins [and the expiation for them] are the reason why many souls are detained in Purgatory for long years.
  1. If afraid of doing much, do many little things, acts of kindness and charity, give the alms you can, cultivate regularity of life, method in work, and punctuality in the performance of duty; don’t grumble or complain when things are not as you please; don’t censure and complain of others; never refuse to do a favour to others when it is possible. These and suchlike little acts are a splendid penance.
  1. Do all in your power for the Holy Souls in Purgatory. Pray for them constantly, get others to do so . . . and ask all those you know to do likewise. The Holy Souls will repay you most generously.
  1. There is no way more powerful of obtaining from God a most holy and happy death than by weekly Confession, daily Mass and daily Communion.
  1. A daily visit to the Blessed Sacrament–it need only be three or four minutes–is an easy way of obtaining the same grace. Kneeling in the presence of Jesus with eyes fixed on the Tabernacle, sure that He is looking at us, let us for a few minutes repeat some little prayer like these: “My Jesus, mercy.” “My Jesus, have pity on me, a sinner” “My Jesus, I love You” “My Jesus, give me a happy death”

Padre Pio was once asked: “Padre, how can I suffer Purgatory here on earth so that I can go to Heaven immediately?” He replied, “By accepting everything from God’s hands. By offering everything up to Him with love and thanksgiving so as to enable us to pass from our death-bed to Paradise.”

The less bad stuff you do in life, and the more you love God, the less “dross” you’ll have in you to be purged. But Purgatory is part of Heaven. The souls there are happy; just not as happy as they’re going to be when the purging bit is done.

Thank everyone for the help :). Is it ok to pray to god asking that you will not entry purgatory when you died and that you will go to heaven ?

Not all who are saved need to go to Purgatory first, though most will.
For example, a person who dies immediately after baptism will go straight to Heaven.

if regards to the 9th promise of the rosary (see below). Does this mean that people will me removed from purgatory on first day if the have been saying the rosary before the died ??

1. I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the rosary.

There are many devotions that can be practiced to obtain plenary indulgences, however there must also be no attachment to sin.

So even if I am devoted to a daily rosary, I won’t obtain the plenary indulgence if I continue to be an adulterer or a thief or whatever sin I’m attached to.

Nothing impure can enter Heaven.

At least that’s my understanding of it.

But the more penance we do on earth, the shorter our time in purgatory. Once we die, we can do nothing to shorten our time there.

John Marie Philomena

I think God would be disappointed if we DIDN’T ask Him to help us avoid purgatory! Did you have a chance to read the “God’s Mercy is Greater” link in post #5? If not, I hope you will take a moment to read it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.