When we receive Comunion, are we consuming the Virgin Mary as well?

I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out. The other day I was thinking about all of the Eucharistic miracles that have happened throughout history. I remember reading how scientists were even able to determine what blood type made up the Eucharist (AB+). Then it hit me…all of Jesus’s DNA must have come from his Mother. This started to make sense to me when I reflected on how Mary is considered to be a “Co-Redeemer.” What do you guys think? Crazy? I am sure this has crossed somebody’s elses mind before.:shrug:

[quote="PrayRosary, post:1, topic:303614"]
I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out. The other day I was thinking about all of the Eucharistic miracles that have happened throughout history. I remember reading how scientists were even able to determine what blood type made up the Eucharist (AB+). Then it hit me...all of Jesus's DNA had to come from his Mother. This started to make sense to me when I reflected on how Mary is considered to be a "Co-Redeemer." What do you guys think? Crazy? I am sure this has crossed somebody's elses mind before.:shrug:

[/quote]

I though that it was "Co-redemtrix" not "co-redeemer" and that has not even been declared yet. "Co redeemer" makes it sound like Mary is also our savior besides Jesus.

And no, never though about eating Marys flesh. Sounds like a lot of mental gymnastics to come to that conclusion to me actually.

I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out. The other day I was thinking about all of the Eucharistic miracles that have happened throughout history. I remember reading how scientists were even able to determine what blood type made up the Eucharist (AB+). Then it hit me...all of Jesus's DNA must have come from his Mother. This started to make sense to me when I reflected on how Mary is considered to be a "Co-Redeemer." What do you guys think? Crazy? I am sure this has crossed somebody's elses mind before.:shrug:

[/quote]

Definitely not! This is outright idolatry is you think that anyone else apart from Jesus Christ is in the Eucharist.

But on another note, the effect of Communion means we come into communion with the Communion of Saints. Because they are in communion with Christ and we are in communion with Christ, therefore we are in communion with one another.

But definitely no one else in the Eucharist but Jesus Christ.

I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out. The other day I was thinking about all of the Eucharistic miracles that have happened throughout history. I remember reading how scientists were even able to determine what blood type made up the Eucharist (AB+). Then it hit me...all of Jesus's DNA must have come from his Mother. This started to make sense to me when I reflected on how Mary is considered to be a "Co-Redeemer." What do you guys think? Crazy? I am sure this has crossed somebody's elses mind before.:shrug:

[/quote]

It doesn't make any sense at all. I think you're over thinking things. At best, you're only consuming the DNA, not the flesh of Mary. At worst, this line of thinking may lead to heresy, if it's not already one.

IMHO, the bloodtype is irrelevant. I don't need to know that. I only need to know, I'm receiving the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Christ (and no one else).

[/quote]

I am not making light of your question but I would say no. If someone took a bit out of me, I would not be able to say that that person is also eating my "Mom" or all my ancestors who share my dna for that matter.

Strange question.... Strange answer :)

Just though of somthing else, we worship christ in the Eucharist. Wouldent it be idolitry if it was not only Christ who is present in the Eucharist. Eucharistic adoration would be wrong.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:3, topic:303614"]
Definitely not! This is outright idolatry is you think that anyone else apart from Jesus Christ is in the Eucharist.

But on another note, the effect of Communion means we come into communion with the Communion of Saints. Because they are in communion with Christ and we are in communion with Christ, therefore we are in communion with one another.

But definitely no one else in the Eucharist but Jesus Christ.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="LaughingBoy1503, post:5, topic:303614"]
I am not making light of your question but I would say no. If someone took a bit out of me, I would not be able to say that that person is also eating my "Mom" or all my ancestors who share my dna for that matter.

Strange question.... Strange answer :)

[/quote]

Good point! I'm a critical thinker what can I say! It doesn't help that I'm taking a couple of Biology classes this semester...I was just thinking out loud

[/quote]

Well technically...if the host is supposed to have Jesus' DNA (and it is, yes?) and Mary is his biological mother...would it not have some of her DNA, too?

[quote="DaddyGirl, post:8, topic:303614"]
Well technically...if the host is supposed to have Jesus' DNA (and it is, yes?) and Mary is his biological mother...would it not have some of her DNA, too?

[/quote]

But not her flesh

[quote="LaughingBoy1503, post:9, topic:303614"]
But not her flesh

[/quote]

Just to clarify, I was referring to Her blood (that's why I specifically mentioned DNA) in the Eucharist.

[quote="PrayRosary, post:10, topic:303614"]
Just to clarify, I was referring to Her blood (that's why I specifically mentioned DNA) in the Eucharist.

[/quote]

Yes, lets clarify as much as we can so people do not get confused when reading this.

[quote="PrayRosary, post:7, topic:303614"]
Good point! I'm a critical thinker what can I say! It doesn't help that I'm taking a couple of Biology classes this semester...I was just thinking out loud

[/quote]

Your critical thinking is admirable however, there are boundaries...

Here's Fr. Kenneth Baker commenting on Christopher Derrick's book, Church Authority and Intellectual Freedom:

The theologian is one who “studies God, and those things related to God,” by profession, making many statements about God—what Derrick calls “transcendental statements.” Such statements about the existence of God, the Trinity of Persons in God, the divinity of Jesus Christ, and so forth, cannot be verified by the accepted canons of human science. Their verification depends on the truth of revelation, which was committed to the Church by Jesus, and has been faithfully transmitted to us by the Church’s Magisterium.

Derrick points out that the Magisterium has two functions: (1) discipline in the Church (e.g., censuring Dr. Hans Kung), and, (2) doctrine. His primary concern in this book is with the second function of doctrine, or truth. Divine revelation comes to us from Jesus through his Church. This means that the theologian receives his subject matter, his method, and the means of verification from the Church. As long as he remains a believing Catholic, there should be no basic conflict between him and the Church.

When the neo-Modernist theologian denies the authority of the Church, or denies certain teachings of the Church, he thereby, in Derrick’s view, not only errs seriously, but also loses academic respectability, that is, he loses the right to be taken seriously by the academic community.

[/quote]

Hello PrayRosary,
I don't think it sounds crazy and I think you bring up an interesting question. The Church teaches that the eucharist contains the body,blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus and only of Jesus. Mary has her own body and soul and she certainly isn't divine. Every person has their own unique body and soul and that is what makes them a human being. As far as DNA goes, every person has their own unique DNA. The father and mother contribute x and y chromozones I think but in conception those chromosomes make a unique set of DNA for the person conceived.

Though we consume the body and blood of Jesus only in communion ( the Church has never said otherwise), it is a fact that Jesus did get his flesh and blood from our Immaculate Mother Mary. It was Mary who did give us Jesus. She freely cooperated with the Holy Spirit in the incarnation of the Son of God. And not only in the incarnation, but throughout his life, Jesus intimately united his mother with him in the redemption of the world. Thus, Mary is our Mediatress, Advocate, and Benefactress. The title Co-Redemptrix I have no problem applying to Mary and neither do many other catholics, priests, and bishops. It hasn't been proclaimed a dogma but I think it very well may be some time in the future. Just as Eve played a role in the fall of humanity, so Mary has played a unique role in the redemption of humanity.

When you donate blood, do you ask the nurse to put your parents name as well as yours on the bag?

When you get a haircut, do you ask your parents if they could pay for it as well since it is their hair, too?

I know you don't do these things. Your question was basically saying the same thing, though. Remember, just because Mary gave birth to Jesus doesn't mean that he had the same exact DNA. Wouldn't he then look exactly like Mary?

I would say no.

Lets look at identical twins as an example for the whole blood/DNA thing

Each share the same DNA.
Each have their own body which in turn has their own blood
Each are their own person with their own soul.

Each is unique and distinctly different with their own thoughts, desires and will. They may have a large amount in common including their genetics but they are not the same person

No we don't. Here is an article that explains just that.

catholic.com/tracts/christ-in-the-eucharist

You people don't seem to understand how DNA works. A child does not have his mother and father's DNA floating around inside him. The mother and the father both donate DNA in egg and sperm. Then the DNA combines into a new molecule which has features of both, creating a new unique strand of DNA for each person. As has previously been pointed out, only twins share identical DNA; with the possibility of mutations, even they will not be precisely the same. A child looks similar to his mother, father, and siblings because they have similar DNA, not the same.

Sometimes there are questions on this site that would turn me away from CAF. I find it very distasteful. It is close to sacrilege to suggest that in Communion we are receiving Mary.
May I suggest that you read scripture and read the Catechism
Note that Jesus makes no mention of any human however special, not does He say "Our blood", for instance

“It is my Father who gives you the bread from heaven, the true bread; for the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world. I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never be hungry; he who believes in me will never thirst.” [John 6:32-33, 35]

“He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood lives in me and I in him...anyone who eats this bread will live forever.” [John 6:56, 58]

For “Jesus took some bread, and when He had said the blessing He broke it and gave it to His disciples. ‘Take it and eat,’ He said ‘this is My body.’ Then He took a cup, and when He had returned thanks, He gave it to them. ‘Drink all of you from this,’ He said, for this is My blood, the blood of the covenant, which is to be poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.’” [Matthew 26:26-28]

“The blessing-cup that we bless is a communion with the blood of Christ, and the bread that we break is a communion with the body of Christ. The fact that there is only one loaf means that, though there are many of us, we form a single body.” [1Corinthians 10:15-18]

1374 The mode of Christ's presence under the Eucharistic species is unique. It raises the Eucharist above all the sacraments as "the perfection of the spiritual life and the end to which all the sacraments tend."201 In the most blessed sacrament of the Eucharist "the body and blood, together with the soul and divinity, of our Lord Jesus Christ and, therefore, the whole Christ is truly, really, and substantially contained."202 "This presence is called 'real' - by which is not intended to exclude the other types of presence as if they could not be 'real' too, but because it is presence in the fullest sense: that is to say, it is a substantial presence by which Christ, God and man, makes himself wholly and entirely present."203

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm

1375 It is by the conversion of the bread and wine into Christ's body and blood that Christ becomes present in this sacrament. The Church Fathers strongly affirmed the faith of the Church in the efficacy of the Word of Christ and of the action of the Holy Spirit to bring about this conversion. Thus St. John Chrysostom declares:

It is not man that causes the things offered to become the Body and Blood of Christ, but he who was crucified for us, Christ himself. The priest, in the role of Christ, pronounces these words, but their power and grace are God's. This is my body, he says. This word transforms the things offered.204

[quote="TriciaF, post:18, topic:303614"]
Sometimes there are questions on this site that would turn me away from CAF. I find it very distasteful. It is close to sacrilege to suggest that in Communion we are receiving Mary.
May I suggest that you read scripture and read the Catechism

[/quote]

If it was not for these questions, we would not have/need CAF.

Besides, doesn't the catechism support asking questions about the faith? It is only in denying the truth that bad ideas come about. The asker did the right thing to ask here, where you are to find the truth.

Some questions don't need to be asked, and shouldn't be asked, and some such questions are asked here, and if not, we would not have moderators to weed out some of those that should not. :)
For answers, the Catechism is available online, so it the Bible and as Catholic Christians we should study and read the New Testament and the Catechism, so are the encyclicals online. There are more reliable ways of learning the truth than an online forum where opinion without sources is often offered as answer, would you not agree? :)
CAF can be helpful to some extent

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.