When we take a confirmation name, are we suppose to chose a specific Saint, or just a name

Okay, my confirmation name is Thomas, but i didn’t specify which one. Of course there are at least 3 St Thomas’s (The Apostle, Aquinas, and More) that i know of, but I only chose Thomas as my confirmation name. At the time, I chose the name because of the apostle, but I feel more drawn to Aquinas, however, should I have specified which Saint Thomas? I know its a dumb question, but i’m just curious

When I was in Confirmation class, they told us to pick the name of a saint/ holy person we wanted to emulate. I think it’s fine that you didn’t specify which Thomas you chose, since you were initially drawn to the name because of one. We had to write a letter explaining why we chose the name we did, so if you have to do anything like that then make sure you can explain your reasons for choosing the name. I think it’s fine if you want to use your name as a reflection of both the apostle and Aquinas. The important thing is that you recognize that that choosing this name is a reflection of choosing to commit to God through the sacrament of Confirmation.

I just picked a name too, and my only reason was that it basically matched my name and apparently there was at least one saint who shared it although I didn’t have any particular saint in mind at all. Back then I wasn’t serious about my faith, largely ignorant of it, and I remember just wanting to get the whole thing over with.

oh well :rolleyes:

Taking a new name at confirmation is the custom in some places but not in others. In other words, there won’t be any canon lawyers beating on your door over this.

I figure we need all the heavenly friends we can get, so why not adopt all three Thomas’s as your patrons?

We are suppose to take a Saint’s name, but I took my Grandmother’s name (my middle name is from my other Grandmather’s name).:slight_smile: I do know of at least two Saints that have my confirmation name. :):wink:

:thumbsup: I concur.

[quote="benjammin, post:1, topic:311011"]
Okay, my confirmation name is Thomas, but i didn't specify which one. Of course there are at least 3 St Thomas's (The Apostle, Aquinas, and More) that i know of, but I only chose Thomas as my confirmation name. At the time, I chose the name because of the apostle, but I feel more drawn to Aquinas, however, should I have specified which Saint Thomas? I know its a dumb question, but i'm just curious

[/quote]

I have the same problem,i also chose Thomas for my confirm. name,at the time i looked at a book of saints with pictures of the saints,i liked the Thomas picture and chose him.

I assumed it was the Apostle,only until recently learning about Aquinas and seeing what he looks like i noticed he looks very similar to the picture i saw years ago
and i also feel more drawn to him

So i dont know who it really was,but it doesnt matter ,i believe we can relate ,pray to and feel close to any saint that carries our name(s)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.