When were kids able to receive the precious blood?

Two formerly Catholic co workers were visitng about a funeral they went to and were suprised when they saw children receiving the precious blood. When did children get the ability to receive? After Vatican II? What is the info here? Were they always able to receive the Precious Blood after First Eucharist?

Thanks

Eric

BTW-- these are children who have received first Eucharist.

They may be Eastern Rite.

[quote=EricCKS]Two formerly Catholic co workers were visitng about a funeral they went to and were suprised when they saw children receiving the precious blood. When did children get the ability to receive? After Vatican II? What is the info here? Were they always able to receive the Precious Blood after First Eucharist?

Thanks

Eric

[/quote]

I made my first Holy Communion (Latin Rite) in the Spring of 1982 when I was 7 (post-Vatican II, of course) and was allowed to drink it.

According to my mom, in the pre-Vatican II days no one (including adults) except the priest drank the Precious Blood.

In the old days, only the bread was offered to the congregation. This was to combat a misconception that both species were required. People believed that one species was Christ’s bod and the other species was Christ’s blood, while Christ’s body and blood (as well as soul and divinity) are fully present in each specie.

It has been since Vatican II, that both kinds are offered to the people, and yes, any who is allowed to receive Communion is allowed to receive both forms, if both are offered.

Dang, Eden, we were typing away at the same time, and you beat me to the reply button!:slight_smile:

[quote=EricCKS]Two formerly Catholic co workers were visitng about a funeral they went to and were suprised when they saw children receiving the precious blood. When did children get the ability to receive? After Vatican II? What is the info here? Were they always able to receive the Precious Blood after First Eucharist?

Thanks

Eric

[/quote]

The key words here are: ‘formerly Catholic’. They probably never saw the laity receiving the Precious Blood, but WHY would they ask it about the children? :confused:

Kotton :slight_smile:

Anyone who may receive the Eucharist may receive under either or both species where both species are offered.

[quote=Kotton]The key words here are: ‘formerly Catholic’. They probably never saw the laity receiving the Precious Blood, but WHY would they ask it about the children? :confused:

Kotton :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Kotton,

Actually I only over heard that part and of cource had to interject. Both fell away before Vatican II. I think they were surprised about the kid alcohol thing. Helloooooo it is only a taste and no longer wine (that is me thinking out loud) And I believe this all was prefaced with the Vigil mass on Saturday and Catholics then going out partying and sleeping it off Sunday. That sentence alone is a Grrr for later as all Catholics do not behave that way.

They were dismayed when I reffered to what they were talking about as precious blood and not wine. Even more when questioned and said refer to John 6 30 through about 56. And 1Corinthians 11-- 27

Thanks
Eric

[quote=Eden]I made my first Holy Communion (Latin Rite) in the Spring of 1982 when I was 7 (post-Vatican II, of course) and was allowed to drink it.

According to my mom, in the pre-Vatican II days no one (including adults) except the priest drank the Precious Blood.
[/quote]

We most be the same age I also made my first Holy Communion in Spring 1982. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.