When were the gates of heaven opened?

Were the gates of heaven opened when Jesus died on the cross or when he rose from the dead or some other event? What do you think?

I think it was from the moment He died on the cross.

This makes sense - especially if Paradise equates to Heaven -

Jesus to the Good Thief - “**Today **you will be with me in Paradise” - emphasis mine :wink:

I think so.

Probably before, but Jewish interpretation of the afterlife is so highly personal and varied that I don’t know.

I also think that it opened when He died on the cross.

I think when Jesus died and descended into hell (as in the Creed) to rescue all of those OT saints still in the Bosom of Abraham (Limbus Patrem) and brought them all personally into heaven; That is when I think the Pearly Gates were first opened. :slight_smile:

I was thinking when his heart was pierced open and blood and water gushed forth…
but then prior to that he said, " It is finished…" maybe that was it. but then remember he said "Mary don’t hold me(my feet) for I have not yet ascended to the Father… "

That time on the cross has so many things to think about…

CCC 1026 **By his death and Resurrection, Jesus Christ has “opened” heaven to us. **The life of the blessed consists in the full and perfect possession of the fruits of the redemption accomplished by Christ. He makes partners in his heavenly glorification those who have believed in him and remained faithful to his will. Heaven is the blessed community of all who are perfectly incorporated into Christ.

Why would it have mattered if Mary was holding his feet before he ascended? Seems like a strange thing to say. Could it be if Mary was in contact with Jesus body at the exact time he ascended, she would have somehow went with him, or…?

The heavens were opened when Christ was baptized showing the way to heaven is open to the baptized. The gates were removed by Christ’s Passion.

Luke 3:21-3:22It was while all the people were being baptized that Jesus was baptized too, and stood there praying. Suddenly heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit came down upon him in bodily form, like a dove, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son, in thee I am well pleased.
And"When Christ was baptized, the heavens were merely opened: but after He had vanquished the tyrant by the cross; since gates were no longer needed for a heaven which thenceforth would be never closed, the angels said, not ‘open the gates,’ but ‘Take them away.’"

***(English translation is shown from newadvent.)
**St. John Chrysostom from Homily IV in Incomplete Commentary on Matthew (Opus imperfectum):
web.wlu.ca/history/cnighman/PGL/index.html
“All you who have been baptized into Christ have been clothed with Christ. Alleluia!”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.