When were the Holy Scriptures declared inerrant?

Does any one know when the Church first defined and declared that the Holy Scriptures are inerrant? Was it a Magisterial or Council declaration? That would be a very valuable piece of apologetics evidence to have available. Thank you.

Try here.

Can someone help me to understand how Scripture can be inerrant, and yet at the same time include historical and scientific error? I know that Piux XII (or was it Leo XIII? Or maybe both… in any evetnt) wrote that one cannot exclude physical science and history from Scriptural inaccuracy. How does this square with all the apparent problems (don’t worry about things like the Esther and the historical “errors” in there, I understand that part of it)?

[quote=mercygate]Try here.
[/quote]

Excellent mercygate, I know I had seen it someplace before

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=426420&postcount=33

Thank you.

[quote=Lazerlike42]Can someone help me to understand how Scripture can be inerrant, and yet at the same time include historical and scientific error?
[/quote]

The purpose of Holy Scripture is the salvation of humankind. It was written by the inspired authors in order to reveal the Truths that God wished to reveal that are for our salvation It is not a history book or a science text. The human authors wrote, under divine inspiration in terms understandable to themselves and their contemporaries. This is why it is necessary to know the beliefs and practices of the culture at the time in order to understand what it is saying. For example. Why did Abraham see a goat cut in half and fire passing between the two halves. This is very significant in terms of the culture at that time. What is not significant the fact that this happened after the “sun had set in the west” when we know that scientifically it is the earth that moves and not the Sun. That fact is not pertinent to the Truths that are being revealed.

There are no errors in details pertinent to our salvation, which is the sole purpose of the Divine revelation in Scripture.

Pax vobiscum.

[quote=Ignatius]The purpose of Holy Scripture is the salvation of humankind. It was written by the inspired authors in order to reveal the Truths that God wished to reveal that are for our salvation It is not a history book or a science text. The human authors wrote, under divine inspiration in terms understandable to themselves and their contemporaries. This is why it is necessary to know the beliefs and practices of the culture at the time in order to understand what it is saying. For example. Why did Abraham see a goat cut in half and fire passing between the two halves. This is very significant in terms of the culture at that time. What is not significant the fact that this happened after the “sun had set in the west” when we know that scientifically it is the earth that moves and not the Sun. That fact is not pertinent to the Truths that are being revealed.

There are no errors in details pertinent to our salvation, which is the sole purpose of the Divine revelation in Scripture.

Pax vobiscum.
[/quote]

The thing is that Leo XIII, Pius XII, and Dei Verbum teach that the inerrancy cannot be limited to matters of faith and morals. In fact, I believe Leo XII actually mentions physical science and history specifically. In other words, you can’t limit the inerrancy to only the details pertinent to salvation. In fact, Leo XII explicitly condemns this.

[quote=Lazerlike42]The thing is that Leo XIII, Pius XII, and Dei Verbum teach that the inerrancy cannot be limited to matters of faith and morals. In fact, I believe Leo XII actually mentions physical science and history specifically. In other words, you can’t limit the inerrancy to only the details pertinent to salvation. In fact, Leo XII explicitly condemns this.
[/quote]

“…Later on, this solemn definition of Catholic doctrine, which claims for these books in their entirety and with all parts a divine authority such as must enjoy immunity from any error whatsoever, was contradicted by certain Catholic writers who dared to restrict the truth of Sacred Scripture to matters of faith and morals alone, and to consider the remainder, touching matters of the physical or historical order as obiter dicta and having (according to them) no connection whatsoever with faith. Those errors found their condemnation in the encyclical Providentissimus Deus…”

(Pope Pius XII in Divino Afflante Spiritu)

Mark Wyatt
www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com

If you were reading the Scriptures they would be inerrant.
However what we as English speaking people read are translations of those inrrant Scriptures.

I have found one English translation that is very faithful to the Hebrew which is the Language the Scriptures were written in.

you can check it out on the web site below.

www.yahweh.com/bookofyahweh.htm

May Holy Spirit that inspired the prophets and apostles to write to us bless your undestanding in your search for TRUTH.

BB

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.