When will I be ready?

Its my sister’s graduation. there is a mass on their school ans i have attended. when its time to take the body of Christ, I told my self “What if im not yet ready to receive Jesus?”. Will there be a consequence if I eat the body of Christ if im not yet ready to receive him?

tomorrow is the last supper of my CoC friend, I told him,
Me: the last supper is to remember Jesus rite?
Friend: Yes.
Me: you only do this once a Year?
Friend: Yes.
Me: you only remember Jesus once a year?
Friend: No. But there is a Curse for the people who eat the body of Christ even if they are not yet ready.

Can you comment on this?

Your friend seems to be referring to 1 Corinthians 11:23-31, where St. Paul talks about the Lord’s Supper, about recognizing the body of Christ in the Eucharist, and about not receiving the Eucharist unworthily. Some of the Corinthian Christians did become sick and some died when they received the Eucharist unworthily.

A Catholic is ready to receive Holy Communion when he understands that the elements he will be receiving are not ordinary bread and wine but the body and blood of Jesus Christ and he is not conscious of any unconfessed mortal sins committed since his last confession.

Jersen:

Your CofC friend is probably referring to the following scripture - I’ll give you the entire scripture:
*For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is broken for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes (in glory).
Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died. But if we judged ourselves truly, we should not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are chastened so that we may not be condemned along with the world.
I Cor 11:23-32 RSV
Now, this is why we need to avail ourselves of the Sacrament of Reconciliation before receiving the Lord’s Body and Blood in the Eucharist if we are conscious of Grave or Serious Sin. What your Cof C friend has missed is that the Lord very clearly said, “As often as you do this…” I just can’t see how once a year fulfills the “Often” requirement if we are to obey our Lord, God and Savior.

Here is an interesting passage from Isaiah - The first 3 verses appear to refer to the Eucharist and the rest to the creation and birth of the Church:*Therefore thus says the Lord GOD:
“Behold, my servants shall eat,
but you shall be hungry;
behold, my servants shall drink,
but you shall be thirsty;
behold, my servants shall rejoice,
but you shall be put to shame;
behold, my servants shall sing for gladness of heart,
but you shall cry out for pain of heart,
and shall wail for anguish of spirit.
You shall leave your name to my chosen for a curse,
and the Lord GOD will slay you;
but his servants he will call by a different name.
So that he who blesses himself in the land
shall bless himself by the God of truth,
and he who takes an oath in the land
shall swear by the God of truth;
because the former troubles are forgotten
and are hid from my eyes.”
"For behold, I create new heavens
and a new earth;
and the former things shall not be remembered
or come into mind.
But be glad and rejoice for ever
in that which I create;
for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing,
and her people a joy."

Isaiah 65:13-18 RSV
Here are some other Scriptures (Listed):

John 6:25-69 - Remind him that “Spirit and Life” doesn’t undo everything that Christ said in this scripture, but only said that he is providing food for our souls as Bread provides food for our bodies. Otherwise, all of those who left would have returned…

I Cor 10: 1-4, 16-22 - Fairly complex sacramental theology. You may need to read the entire chapter and use a good Study Bible.

CofC claims to be a 1st Century church. What you’re going to need to do is to show your friend the need for a BISHOP and/or PRIEST in order to celebrate the Eucharist. there’s plenty of material from ECF’s from the 1st & 2nd Centuries on this, and you’re going to need to look it up. You might start by seeing if this or similar Questions have been asked before here at Catholic Answers. You might also want to get copies of The Mass of the Early Christians, by Mike Aquilina and The Lamb’s Supper, by Scott Hahn.

I hope this helps.

Your Brother and Servant in Christ, Michael

In the first place Catholics do not take the body of Christ. We receive Holy Communion (body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ).

What do you mean by “when will I be ready”? You are a Catholic. You must know if you are in a state of mortal sin or not.

If you are a Catholic in a state of grace then you may receive Holy Communion. If you are in a state of mortal sin then you may not receive otherwise you would be committing sacrilege (a grave sin).

We are warned by Paul (in the citations quoted above) not to receive “unworthily.” We are also warned (also by Paul) not to neglect the Mass

Therefore, brothers, since through the blood of Jesus we have confidence of entrance into the sanctuary by the new and living way he opened for us through the veil, that is, his flesh, and since we have “a great priest over the house of God,” let us approach with a sincere heart and in absolute trust, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed in pure water. Let us hold unwaveringly to our confession that gives us hope, for he who made the promise is trustworthy. We must consider how to rouse one another to love and good works. We should not stay away from our assembly, as is the custom of some, but encourage one another, and this all the more as you see the day drawing near.

And Jesus warns against receiving while holding a grudge against another:

Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

So when we attend Mass and the time for Holy Communion approaches we should examine our hearts to see if we are “ready.” The Mass incorporates both an act of contrition “Lord I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed” and the sign of peace before Communion so that we may cleanse our hearts and approach the Table of the Lord in a right state. If we have unconfessed mortal sin we should not receive until after we have celebrated Reconciliation.

Ironically your C of C friend has been better catechized about receiving Communion worthily than many Catholics:(, even though his congregation’s Communion is purely symbolic.

Hope that helps.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.