When will we meet the Lord?

Regular users of this board would know that I have a few issues regarding the destination of the soul immediately after death, and this is my latest one :smiley:

For this we say unto you in the word of the Lord, we who are still living when the Lord returns will not meet him ahead of those who have died. (1 Thessalonians 4:14)

Does this passage not explicitly state that the first time anyone will meet the Lord is at the resurrection. This means we won’t meet him before this point, does this imply people don’t go to heaven after death?

Can someone please explain this passage to me.

[quote=anthony flavell]Regular users of this board would know that I have a few issues regarding the destination of the soul immediately after death, and this is my latest one :smiley:

For this we say unto you in the word of the Lord, we who are still living when the Lord returns will not meet him ahead of those who have died. (1 Thessalonians 4:14)

Does this passage not explicitly state that the first time anyone will meet the Lord is at the resurrection. This means we won’t meet him before this point, does this imply people don’t go to heaven after death?

[/quote]

Hey Anthony,
I’m a regular user, but I’m not familiar with your history regarding the destination of the soul after death, so please don’t read my response in that context. Keep in mind, though, that this passage has to be read in the context of the rest of Scripture. [font=Arial][font=Times]1 Cor 15:23[/font][font=Arial] and Mat 27:52-53 give examples of bodies assumed into heaven, not to mention the Moses at the transfiguration. In Revelation we see many of the martyrs in heaven, as well as many of the “holy ones” or “elders”. So, consistent with Catholic theology, we know that some have gone on to meet the Lord. Yet, we know that some do not go on to meet him until the general judgment, at which all will receive their fate and Purgatory will cease to exist. Any who are dead in Christ, yet serving their time in Purgatory and have not reached the glory of heaven will be caught up with him in the second coming just as those who are still alive "shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and so we shall always be with the Lord. So, short answer: No, it won’t be the first time anyone will meet him, but yes, it is possible that many of us will not go directly to Heaven after death (which isn’t, necessarily, a bad thing). I think. Maybe someone else sees it differently.[/font][/font]

[quote=anthony flavell]Regular users of this board would know that I have a few issues regarding the destination of the soul immediately after death, and this is my latest one :smiley:

For this we say unto you in the word of the Lord,** we who are still living when the Lord returns will not meet him ahead of those who have died.** (1 Thessalonians 4:14)

[/quote]

Hello Anthony Flavell…

…we who are living will not meet the Lord before those who are already dead. Because they already met him(at the time of their death)…To me, that proves that we will meet him directly after death.

[quote=anthony flavell]For this we say unto you in the word of the Lord, we who are still living when the Lord returns will not meet him ahead of those who have died. (1 Thessalonians 4:14)
[/quote]

Which version of the bible is this? I am not familiar with it. Usually the word there (in 1thes4:15) is precede. As you can see, I, too, am not familiar with your other posts, or I’d probably know the answer to this question.:slight_smile:

When we die our soul is immediately judged and will either be condemned (to hell) or saved (to purgatory first or straight to heaven). This is called the Particular Judgement. The Last (Final) Judgement is at the Second Coming of Jesus and when bodily resurrection takes place. The outcome of the Particular Judgement, however, is not changed.

Lillith

After reading your post the answer seems so obvious now, i dont know how i could have missinterprited it so badly :smiley:

thanks
Anthony

Hello Anthony…I’ve done that before!
God Bless…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.