When would it actually be ok to miss mass?

So for example, today there is mass in a town 20 mins away with bus. I don’t have a drivers license and there is no one who wants to drive me there this week. However, when I am looking up the timetable for buses, I see that the times they aren’t optimal. I be there 30 mins earlier before mass, and I will pretty much have to power walk/jog for 15 mins from there in order to catch the bus home in time, or I will have to wait for an hour before I can take the next bus.

Of course it’s manageable. But then again, how can one know for sure when it would be ok to skip mass this time? I kind of torn between this, because on the other hand I know that going to mass is something that one needs to and wants to do.

I mean, one could technically walk for miles for mass and then walk back home again. It’s doable, but not optimal. I’m not trying to make excuses, but I am honestly not to happy of the thought of having to deal with the buses.

This is for me a hard question to answer. On one hand we all know missing Mass for frivolous reasons, (Golf tournament, etc.) is sinful. The question is then what constitutes a serious reason. Well of course illness or caring for an ill child or otherwise helpless person qualifies. Weather that is bad enough that it poses a serious travel hazard also would qualify in my mind. The question is then how much inconvenience qualifies as being ok to miss. I suppose only you can judge that. I applaud you for at least asking the question and being concerned. My criteria is always tempered by thinking of just what Jesus went through for us. That doesn’t allow much “wiggle room” in my case, but that’s just me.

Whenever I see posts about people who think their transportation to Mass is inconvenient and therefore a reason to miss mass, I think of my husband’s grandfather who walked 15 MILES for the privilege of attending Christmas Eve Mass in the 1930s (in Wisconsin winter)

I also think of the first Catholic Texas A&M cadets who walked 6 miles every Sunday to go to Mass at the Catholic parish in the neighboring town because at that time the campus was far from any amenities.

So, sitting at a bus stop doesn’t seem unreasonable to me at all.

Arriving 30 minutes early is really very nice because you can pray in Christ’s Real Presence–you can take a Bible, print out some prayers, or get one of the many free Catholic prayer apps if you have a device. And of course praying in your own words is very good, along with taking some time to listen to God.

Is the power-walking manageable for you? If it is difficult, you might want to call the priest beforehand–he may be able to say you could leave right after Communion.

It is great that you are willing to do all this to get to Mass :slight_smile:

It’s far too easy for others here to say their relatives walked miles, or the inconvenience of public transportation is no big deal…especially if they have easy access to Mass themselves…that being said, you are more likely to get a good answer from your pastor, and when this problem arises, ask for a dispensation or absolution at confession.

Sadly, many place the same yoke on you, that Christ’s coming removed from us!

Peace and prayers!

There is not a problem with missing Mass if you can’t get there do to weather, lack of transportation or illness. Of course, one could argue that a 15 minute “power walk” is a good thing and “why miss Mass in that case?” Unless the weather is horrible. Also, being 30 minutes early gives you time for prayer so why miss?

Do your best to get there, but if a combination of factors prevent your going it is not like you are intentionally staying away.

You will get a variety of responses here. Use your best judgement. If you can go to mass, then go to mass. If you decided to stay home…it probably wouldn’t be a mortal sin, but then you would miss out on the mass and that would be a shame.

As above posters have said, you can probably leave right after communion and take a few extra minutes to get to the bus. I have seen people do that. As for getting there earlier, I would bring a rosary or a bible and just pray or chill and read. Do what you can.

I think you should go. An inconvenience and an opportunity are often interchangeable depending on how we make use of it. 30 minutes early isn’t such a big deal. You can go in and use it as some private devotion time; no atmosphere quite does it as well as the inside of a sanctuary does, except for maybe nature itself. Or you can bring a book to read. Or you can bring music and/or an audiotrack. Or you can moonwalk backwards from the bus stop to the parish so that you get there slower. I dunno. There are an enormous array of creative and edifying possibilities that don’t involve sitting on the floor gnawing on your forearm for 30 minutes until the Mass gets started.

If you don’t want to power walk, then just jog. It’s easy. Or hang out for an hour afterwards and do any of the above mentioned things.

If we leave out the drabness of attempting to dissect whether or not it is or isn’t a sin in your circumstance, weekly Mass is our spiritual zenith for the week. You’ll be stronger and happier with that kind of regular routine built into your life. A lot of people are deprived of that and I wouldn’t want to be one of them.

So it is inconvenient?

Hmmm Since the Mass is a re presentation of Christ being offered to us in the crucifixion what you are basically saying is that while Jesus is being marched up the hill to his death, and then hangs on a Cross for you and then offers you his Body and Blood, you don’t want to be inconvienienced?

What about all the saints, and all the people who even today RISK THEIR LIVES to have a chance to be at Mass.:shrug:

Is it a sin?

Ask your priest.

But go to Mass.

=ZoonCorp;11686297]So for example, today there is mass in a town 20 mins away with bus. I don’t have a drivers license and there is no one who wants to drive me there this week. However, when I am looking up the timetable for buses, I see that the times they aren’t optimal. I be there 30 mins earlier before mass, and I will pretty much have to power walk/jog for 15 mins from there in order to catch the bus home in time, or I will have to wait for an hour before I can take the next bus.

Of course it’s manageable. But then again, how can one know for sure when it would be ok to skip mass this time? I kind of torn between this, because on the other hand I know that going to mass is something that one needs to and wants to do.

I mean, one could technically walk for miles for mass and then walk back home again. It’s doable, but not optimal. I’m not trying to make excuses, but I am honestly not to happy of the thought of having to deal with the buses.

Thanks for asking

Mt. 10:38 “] And he that taketh not up his cross, and followeth me, is not worthy of me”

Mt. 16:24-25 " Then Jesus said to his disciples:** If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me**. ** For he that will save his life, shall lose it: and he that shall lose his life for my sake, shall find it**.

Mk. 8:34-37 " And calling the multitude together with his disciples, he said to them: If any man will follow me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life, shall lose it: and whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel, shall save it. For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

The criteria is “Prudence” [What would a “normal” person do in like circumstances?]

The Obligation for MAss is a GRAVE one; meaning its a MORTAL sin if done intentionally.

If you are TRULY unable to attend a Sunday Mass, attend Saturday night vigil. If you can’t do that then Substitute a weekday Mass.

Inconvenience or hardship that is not endangering your health is NOT an acceptable excuse.

Sickness; inclement weather; work schedule are valid excuses. God is a God of Mercy and Love. He will accept legitimate reasons to miss; but hardship is normally not a Sufficient reason.

You need not put yourself at risk, but inconvenience is just that.

God Bless you,
Patrick

Do you absolutely need to come to and leave church on schedule??? Why not take the supposed “time wasted” to interact with fellow parishoners??? Mass doesn’t end when the priest says “go in peace”, how about sitting down and having coffee and chatting while you wait for the next bus.

Being involved in the parish is one way of growing spiritually, even if it is just taking time to talk to the priest and parishoners after mass :slight_smile:

Well, in a moral theology book I have, it says the obligation is mitigated if one has to drive a “long distance.” In another part of the book, for a different discussion, it says a “long distance” is one hour.

For several years, my family had to drive about 1.5 hours each way. We tried to treat this as obliged, despite the distance, but sometimes the distance kept us from going: I might feel well enough to go to Mass if it were down the street, but not well enough to drive 3 hours on windy country roads.

So, maybe taking the bus will work for you sometimes and not for other times. If tye weather is bad or icey, if you don’t feel well, etc, it may be too much for you sometimes, but other times taking the bus will work for you.

I guess what I’m saying is that a 20-minute bus ride, 30 minutes to pray before Our Lord, and a power-walk do not in and of themselves seem like too much to go to Mass, but other factors might come into play. For example, if you are elderly, it might be too much.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.