When you die in islam, what happens to your soul?

muslimmatrimonial.com/muslim-matrimonials/articles/islam-articles/do-souls.shtml
When the believer is close to death:
They will see bright light as far as the eye can see, coming towards them. These will be Angels with faces shining bright like the sun descend from the Heavens, carrying the most beautiful shroud scented with the fragrance of Paradise. The Angle of Death then appears and gently with great care removes the soul from the body like water falling from a cup and wraps the soul around the shroud making the soul smell greater than any fragrance ever found on earth. Heaven like Hell is composed of seven layers; the Angles ascend to the highest (seventh) heaven. On the way there they will be stopped by Angles at every level and be asked who does this good soul belongs to. Then the Angles will replay by calling you by every good name that you were ever called on earth. When the soul reaches the highest heaven where the throne of God is and is presented to the All Mighty. Allah, the Great and Glorious, says: "Record the Book of My servant in the Illiyyoon and take him back to Earth, for I created mankind from it, and I shall return them to it, from it I shall bring them forth again."
You see each person has a book in which all of their actions on earth are recorded, this book will be placed in an honored place (Illiyyoon) until the day of judgment when you are judged by what is in your book. When all of this is happening your body has been prepared for burial and is now in its grave. The Angles place the soul into the grave where it a waits to be questioned. Two different Angles named Munkar and Nakeer who have a set of questions that they ask you.

1. Who is your Lord?
  2. What is your religion?
  3. Who is your prophet/messenger?
  4. What is your book?
    God set down to his creation many prophets and messengers with a book of knowledge which one different but the same because they all carried the message; there is one God, worship him. The people would but after several generations people start to add or taking away the message in their book and when that happens, God sends them another messenger to correct the people and led them back to God. Each generation will answer these questions differently. Those in Moses (pbuh) time will answer him as their prophet and the torah as their book. David or Dawood (pbuh) to us was given the palms and his people will answer that.
    The true believer will answer correctly and his grave will be made as spacious as far as the eye can see. A window towards heaven will be opened and they will be able to see what a waits them in the hereafter. Then the most beautiful being will come before them and the person will ask who are you and it will replay I am your good deeds. Then the soul will sit there and a wait the final hour and pray for it to come.

When the disbeliever dies:
They will see Angles with black faces with the fiercest expression carrying the foulest shroud made of the roughest and worst material and will set as far away as the eye can see. Then the Angle of Death will rip the soul out of the body in the most violent manner because the soul does not wish to come out for fear of facing its creator’s rage. The soul will then be wrapped in the shroud and sprayed with the foulest smell, worst then routing meat. The Angles the will ascend to the highest heaven and on the way there, they will be stopped by Angles and be asked who is this evil soul. The Angles will answer by calling the soul by the worst names it was known on earth by. But when the Angles reach the lowest heaven to get to the highest heaven and ask for the gates to be open they will not be open and Allah answers by saying “Record his Book in Sijjin (the lowest place) and his soul is thrown down to Earth.” Then their book will be kept in the lowest place until the Day of Judgment. By this time the funeral is over and the body is placed in the grave so then the soul will also be placed in the grave. When it becomes time for the questioning, the disbelieving souls will not be able to answer any of the questions. The grave will then be compacted until the person’s ribs are touching and an open to hell will be open, showing the soul what awaits it in the hereafter. A being of unspeakable horror will appear before the soul and the soul will ask who are you and the being will reply ‘I am your wicked sins’.

Ok, in short, we believe that when a person dies the soul is taken out of the human body and presented before Allah. If the soul is righteous, it enjoys the bounties of Allah and if it is wicked, it suffers the torment of the grave. The soul waits in its grave until the Day of Judgment when it will be resurrected, be judged (which is a whole other story) and goes to Heaven or Hell.
An aside: when the soul is taken out of the body it takes on the physical appearance of the person when they were in youth and had their strength, even if they died old. Babies, young children and the mentally ill are excluded from everything.
Allah, the Exalted, has given every man a free will to choose between good and evil. It is up to the individual, whether he takes enough good deeds to accompany him in his grave, or he chooses to carry the burden of evil deeds. This choice of evil and good is only valid as long as one is alive. With your last breath you can not ask for forgiveness, because God had given you a mercy called time, what you do with it is your choice.
I kindly ask my muslim brothers and sisters a\on this forum to add what ever they wish to this thread.
Wa salam.

NOTE: I am not a debater, I don’t know how to debate, and this is simply a dialogue explain what muslims believe in. I will not answer and debate type questions because this thread is only met to teach the islamic view of what happens to your soul when you die.

[quote=fatuma]NOTE: I am not a debater, I don’t know how to debate, and this is simply a dialogue explain what muslims believe in. I will not answer and debate type questions because this thread is only met to teach the islamic view of what happens to your soul when you die.
[/quote]

fatuma,

Thank you for your troubles. We would all do well to serve God with the humility you have shown.

Peace be with you,
RyanL

As sallamu aleykum (Peace be unto you) Fatuma!

Thank you for sharing this perspective. It is appreciated.

May we find the way to The Almighty, on whatever course He provides for us, and may we make good use of every moment, He gives to us, by His mercy and grace

Wasalam (in peace)
Elizabeth

The go to the lake of fire prepared for them by Satan and his dark angels.

[quote=A.Pelliccio]The go to the lake of fire prepared for them by Satan and his dark angels.
[/quote]

Praise God, The Compassionate, The Merciful,

Dear A. Pelliccio,

I pray you have always a heart made of flesh and not one of stone. I pray that with each passing day, you see the beauty of all God’s creatures, in their efforts to honor He who made us all, and that your service to your country is noble and just.

In the name of Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

Peace to you,
Elizabeth

[quote=fatuma from Post #1]muslimmatrimonial.com/muslim-matrimonials/articles/islam-articles/do-souls.shtml
. . . . . . . . The soul will then be wrapped in the shroud and sprayed with the foulest smell, worst then routing meat. The Angles the will ascend to the highest heaven and on the way there, they will be stopped by Angles and be asked who is this evil soul. The Angles will answer by calling the soul by the worst names it was known on earth by. But when the Angles reach the lowest heaven to get to the highest heaven and ask for the gates to be open they will not be open and Allah answers by saying “Record his Book in Sijjin (the lowest place) and his soul is thrown down to Earth.” Then their book will be kept in the lowest place until the Day of Judgment. By this time the funeral is over and the body is placed in the grave so then the soul will also be placed in the grave.
[/quote]

Fatuma

How about putting two tubes to connect the coffin to the outside air? Air can be blown or pumped from the outside into the coffin. This will push out air from the coffin into the second tube and out into the open air. If you smell perfume, that means the soul is okay. If you smell very foul odor, that means the soul is bad. Is this correct?

I have no idea what you are talking about. All of this happens in another, what is it called; ‘universe, plain, other dimension’. The spirit is taken to a place that the human eye and mind can not see or comprehend. All of this happens to the soul and we, the living, know nothing about it, whether or not that person’s soul is good or not.

wa salam

thank you Fatuma for offering this information - the question has been asked several times on this forum and it helps to have your input

[quote=fatuma]muslimmatrimonial.com/muslim-matrimonials/articles/islam-articles/do-souls.shtml
When the believer is close to death:
They will see bright light as far as the eye can see, coming towards them. These will be Angels with faces shining bright like the sun descend from the Heavens, carrying the most beautiful shroud scented with the fragrance of Paradise. The Angle of Death then appears and gently with great care removes the soul from the body like water falling from a cup and wraps the soul around the shroud making the soul smell greater than any fragrance ever found on earth. Heaven like Hell is composed of seven layers; the Angles ascend to the highest (seventh) heaven. On the way there they will be stopped by Angles at every level and be asked who does this good soul belongs to. Then the Angles will replay by calling you by every good name that you were ever called on earth. When the soul reaches the highest heaven where the throne of God is and is presented to the All Mighty. Allah, the Great and Glorious, says: "Record the Book of My servant in the Illiyyoon and take him back to Earth, for I created mankind from it, and I shall return them to it, from it I shall bring them forth again."
You see each person has a book in which all of their actions on earth are recorded, this book will be placed in an honored place (Illiyyoon) until the day of judgment when you are judged by what is in your book. When all of this is happening your body has been prepared for burial and is now in its grave. The Angles place the soul into the grave where it a waits to be questioned. Two different Angles named Munkar and Nakeer who have a set of questions that they ask you.

1. Who is your Lord?
  2. What is your religion?
  3. Who is your prophet/messenger?
  4. What is your book?
    God set down to his creation many prophets and messengers with a book of knowledge which one different but the same because they all carried the message; there is one God, worship him. The people would but after several generations people start to add or taking away the message in their book and when that happens, God sends them another messenger to correct the people and led them back to God. Each generation will answer these questions differently. Those in Moses (pbuh) time will answer him as their prophet and the torah as their book. David or Dawood (pbuh) to us was given the palms and his people will answer that.
    The true believer will answer correctly and his grave will be made as spacious as far as the eye can see. A window towards heaven will be opened and they will be able to see what a waits them in the hereafter. Then the most beautiful being will come before them and the person will ask who are you and it will replay I am your good deeds. Then the soul will sit there and a wait the final hour and pray for it to come.

When the disbeliever dies:
They will see Angles with black faces with the fiercest expression carrying the foulest shroud made of the roughest and worst material and will set as far away as the eye can see. Then the Angle of Death will rip the soul out of the body in the most violent manner because the soul does not wish to come out for fear of facing its creator?s rage. The soul will then be wrapped in the shroud and sprayed with the foulest smell, worst then routing meat. The Angles the will ascend to the highest heaven and on the way there, they will be stopped by Angles and be asked who is this evil soul. The Angles will answer by calling the soul by the worst names it was known on earth by. But when the Angles reach the lowest heaven to get to the highest heaven and ask for the gates to be open they will not be open and Allah answers by saying “Record his Book in Sijjin (the lowest place) and his soul is thrown down to Earth.” Then their book will be kept in the lowest place until the Day of Judgment. By this time the funeral is over and the body is placed in the grave so then the soul will also be placed in the grave. When it becomes time for the questioning, the disbelieving souls will not be able to answer any of the questions. The grave will then be compacted until the person?s ribs are touching and an open to hell will be open, showing the soul what awaits it in the hereafter. A being of unspeakable horror will appear before the soul and the soul will ask who are you and the being will reply ?I am your wicked sins?.
[/quote]

Angel i spelled A.N.G.E L. angle is a mathematical term…

What about the belief that there are 7 virigins waiting in heaven, or something like that? Sorry for my ignorance in advance.

[quote=fatuma — from Post #8 and #9]I have no idea what you are talking about. All of this happens in another, what is it called; ‘universe, plain, other dimension’. The spirit is taken to a place that the human eye and mind can not see or comprehend. All of this happens to the soul and we, the living, know nothing about it, whether or not that person’s soul is good or not.

wa salam
[/quote]

Fatuma

There are some very holy Catholic Saints whose bodies give out FRAGRANCE. In the Marian Apparition at Fatima in 1917, one of the visionaries “JACINTA MARTO”, who died soon after 1917, HER BODY WAS NEVER EMBALMED. YET HER BODY DID NOT DECAY AND IT IS EMMITING FRAGRANCE!!!

To show you that what I am telling you is true because to the One True God nothing is impossible, here is a website which you can read about Catholic Saints whose bodies were FRAGRANT.

livingmiracles.net/Incorrupt.html

(see paragraph 8 (the last paragraph) under the subtitle “Incorruptibles”) the paragraph just above the picture of St. Catherine Laboure(1806-1876)

Well, I just learned something new.

wa salam

[quote=Superstar905]What about the belief that there are 7 virigins waiting in heaven, or something like that? Sorry for my ignorance in advance.
[/quote]

Muslims do believe in a heaven where you can have anything you’ve earned.

The most pious martyrs will be greeted with 72 virgins if they so desire.

Basically, look at it this way.

I, personally, am a 17 yr old male in america. More than once I have chosen not to have sex, and, for a time, regretted it. There are many many people who do not make the decision I do, and they do have sex, as much as they see fit.

Now, I do what I do for Allah (God), and because Allah is the most compassionate and the most merciful, He will give me something better than that person who is choosing to disobey him when my time finally comes.

The people who disobey god (in islam) are always going to be second bes to those who obey god. If you have sex with the hottest of hot women here on Earth and I chose not to, for the sake of God, then when I die I will have a woman of Heaven, who will be something that (literally) you could never imagine.

[quote=Eetaq]Muslims do believe in a heaven where you can have anything you’ve earned.

The most pious martyrs will be greeted with 72 virgins if they so desire.

Basically, look at it this way.

I, personally, am a 17 yr old male in america. More than once I have chosen not to have sex, and, for a time, regretted it. There are many many people who do not make the decision I do, and they do have sex, as much as they see fit.

Now, I do what I do for Allah (God), and because Allah is the most compassionate and the most merciful, He will give me something better than that person who is choosing to disobey him when my time finally comes.

The people who disobey god (in islam) are always going to be second bes to those who obey god. If you have sex with the hottest of hot women here on Earth and I chose not to, for the sake of God, then when I die I will have a woman of Heaven, who will be something that (literally) you could never imagine.
[/quote]

72 virgins if they desire??? What the heck??? So in heaven, you can have a big orgie if you desire because you were a martyr on earth. What other value would Virgins have to the Martyr. This is ridiculous, IMHO. No disrespect intended to my Muslim friends. I just don’t understand this.

[quote=Franz]72 virgins if they desire??? What the heck??? So in heaven, you can have a big orgie if you desire because you were a martyr on earth. What other value would Virgins have to the Martyr. This is ridiculous, IMHO. No disrespect intended to my Muslim friends. I just don’t understand this.
[/quote]

Hello Franz,

Maybe it is a literal interpretaton of what Christians believe to be, “treasure stored in heaven”?

What do you imagine, “the treasure stored in heaven” Jesus spoke about, is?

How about the many “mansions” what do they look like?

I can’t imagine what heaven looks like but maybe our Muslim brothers and sisters do?

Peace,
Elizabeth

[quote=A.Pelliccio]The go to the lake of fire prepared for them by Satan and his dark angels.
[/quote]

May I say that this is why I am not a religious person. All this talk about God (or Allah) being so loving, but then throwing a person with no problems into eternal torture. That is not, and never will be, considered by me to be the act of a ‘loving’ diety.

Description of Jannah:

whyislam.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3465&KW=Jannah

wa salam

[quote=Monarchy]May I say that this is why I am not a religious person. All this talk about God (or Allah) being so loving, but then throwing a person with no problems into eternal torture. That is not, and never will be, considered by me to be the act of a ‘loving’ diety.
[/quote]

I cannot speak for Islam because I am not a Muslim, but I would imagine, since a lot of Muslim and Catholic philosophy comes to the same conclusions about God, since both seek truth. It is best not to look at Hell only as a punishment, but as a choice. Those who have not led lives that honor God do not possess the character of soul to enjoy eternal paradise. If you shunned God in life then certainly your soul will not be capable of comprehending the glory of God in heaven. Hell is simply the absence of God, the absence of all that is good, rational, and just. On Earth people may live a life that doesn’t recognize God, but his presence is still felt, in Hell people have chosen to live without God. C.S. Lewis wrote pretty eloquently on it, I would recommend reading his writing, I had many misconceptions and philosophical problems with Hell, but his explanation in Mere Christianity made much more sense to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.