Where am I supposed to go from here?

I am 16 years old, and I live in Texas. I began going to a Catholic church in my town about 2 or 3 months ago. I have not been baptized or recieved first communion, but I feel like I have a strong call to the priesthood. It's all very hard to explain, so I went online and checked a few websites on how to know if you are being called. I found a list of questions that are supposed to help:

1) Does the idea of becoming a priest keep coming back time and time again even though you thought you had moved on in your life and forgotten about it?
My answer: Yes, I've thought about it and admired priests throughout my life, even though I've never been catholic.
2) Do you feel called to give more, to be more?
My answer: All the time, but I never know what I am supposed to do.
3) Does your relationship with God sustain you, enliven you, invigorate you in such a way that you want to share His Truth and Love with others?
My answer: Yes. I love the church, and I love reaching out to people. The idea of doing it in the form of a priest is scary, however. I never really wanted this for myself.
4) Do you desire to courageously and selflessly give all to Christ, to cast out into the deep and follow Him, wherever He calls you?
My answer: If that is what He wants me to do, I would.
5) Do you long for more than what “the world” teaches us to strive for – money, sensuality, power, self-indulgence and comfort at any cost?
My answer: Yes. Hands down.
6) Do you have a sneaking suspicion that you are on the brink of a major life decision?
My answer: Yes, but that may be just because my school is pressuring us on what we should do with our lives.
7) Are you afraid to tell friends and family that you are thinking about priesthood?
My answer: I was for a while. Then just this past sunday it kind of slipped at breakfast. I was only with my mom, but she reacted differently than I expected. She was supportive. I was scared for a while.
8) Does the idea of becoming a priest attract you and at the same time frighten you because you feel “unworthy?”
My answer: YES 100% I can't even stress enough how much this is accurate.
9) Have you ever felt your heart move as a priest celebrated the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and thought what it would be like to stand at his place at the altar?
My answer: I've cried in church. Enough said?
10) Have others encouraged you to consider priesthood?
My answer: No.

Okay, so maybe these answers mean "yes, I am called," or, "no, not called." Either way, I need help. If I am being called, what am I supposed to do? If not, should I just let it go? If it's any help, I'm currently in RCIA, and I will be baptized on April 19, 2014.

I just need advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

At this point I think that the best advice is to do nothing...Finish RCIA and be received into the Church. If you still feel that you might have the call, talk to your pastor at that time.

God Bless you on your journey.

Peace
James

It's a wonderful thing that you are feeling the call to serve the Church. My advice would be to take it one step at a time. This is not a decision you are expected to make on your own - especially at 16. After you enter the Church, you should contact the vocations director for the diocese. There are a variety of discernment programs specifically designed to help young men like you discern if they should begin the path toward the priesthood.

Even then, there is much education to come and several years of investigating your call. The minimum age for ordination is 24, I believe.

There will be many people here on CAF praying for you as you join the Church and as you go through the discernment process.

Well for starters welcome to our faith, indeed we need more holy priests.
And you obviously took the most important step in becoming one if that is God’s will.

Interestingly the last episode of the program “Journey Home” had the Director of Vocations for the Dioscesi of Washington DC in it.
Perhaps if you watch it there are some pointers for you. He spoke about the importance of "Discernment"
I am posting the link to the episode.

youtube.com/watch?v=E4Hx22T6zI8

God bless.

It's really great that you feel this way... A few generations ago, you may have been accepted straight away, even if you are just 16 ,,, but these days it's best to try after a bit of life experience,,,, give yourself ten years,, help in the church which ever way you can,,,,
Become part of a committee in the church,,,, things like this will give you a better grounding ,
With work experience you will better learn patients, tolerance , and how to deal with really awkward people..... Good luck.....hope you make it....

[quote="Felipe_Maxi, post:1, topic:341534"]
I am 16 years old, and I live in Texas. I began going to a Catholic church in my town about 2 or 3 months ago. I have not been baptized or recieved first communion, but I feel like I have a strong call to the priesthood. It's all very hard to explain, so I went online and checked a few websites on how to know if you are being called. I found a list of questions that are supposed to help:

1) Does the idea of becoming a priest keep coming back time and time again even though you thought you had moved on in your life and forgotten about it?
My answer: Yes, I've thought about it and admired priests throughout my life, even though I've never been catholic.
2) Do you feel called to give more, to be more?
My answer: All the time, but I never know what I am supposed to do.
3) Does your relationship with God sustain you, enliven you, invigorate you in such a way that you want to share His Truth and Love with others?
My answer: Yes. I love the church, and I love reaching out to people. The idea of doing it in the form of a priest is scary, however. I never really wanted this for myself.
4) Do you desire to courageously and selflessly give all to Christ, to cast out into the deep and follow Him, wherever He calls you?
My answer: If that is what He wants me to do, I would.
5) Do you long for more than what “the world” teaches us to strive for – money, sensuality, power, self-indulgence and comfort at any cost?
My answer: Yes. Hands down.
6) Do you have a sneaking suspicion that you are on the brink of a major life decision?
My answer: Yes, but that may be just because my school is pressuring us on what we should do with our lives.
7) Are you afraid to tell friends and family that you are thinking about priesthood?
My answer: I was for a while. Then just this past sunday it kind of slipped at breakfast. I was only with my mom, but she reacted differently than I expected. She was supportive. I was scared for a while.
8) Does the idea of becoming a priest attract you and at the same time frighten you because you feel “unworthy?”
My answer: YES 100% I can't even stress enough how much this is accurate.
9) Have you ever felt your heart move as a priest celebrated the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and thought what it would be like to stand at his place at the altar?
My answer: I've cried in church. Enough said?
10) Have others encouraged you to consider priesthood?
My answer: No.

Okay, so maybe these answers mean "yes, I am called," or, "no, not called." Either way, I need help. If I am being called, what am I supposed to do? If not, should I just let it go? If it's any help, I'm currently in RCIA, and I will be baptized on April 19, 2014.

I just need advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[/quote]

I am a senior in high school and will be entering the seminary within the next year. Everything you have said is like me so I would say yes God is calling you to be a priest:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.