I am 16 years old, and I live in Texas. I began going to a Catholic church in my town about 2 or 3 months ago. I have not been baptized or recieved first communion, but I feel like I have a strong call to the priesthood. It’s all very hard to explain, so I went online and checked a few websites on how to know if you are being called. I found a list of questions that are supposed to help:
- Does the idea of becoming a priest keep coming back time and time again even though you thought you had moved on in your life and forgotten about it?
My answer: Yes, I’ve thought about it and admired priests throughout my life, even though I’ve never been catholic.
- Do you feel called to give more, to be more?
My answer: All the time, but I never know what I am supposed to do.
- Does your relationship with God sustain you, enliven you, invigorate you in such a way that you want to share His Truth and Love with others?
My answer: Yes. I love the church, and I love reaching out to people. The idea of doing it in the form of a priest is scary, however. I never really wanted this for myself.
- Do you desire to courageously and selflessly give all to Christ, to cast out into the deep and follow Him, wherever He calls you?
My answer: If that is what He wants me to do, I would.
- Do you long for more than what “the world” teaches us to strive for – money, sensuality, power, self-indulgence and comfort at any cost?
My answer: Yes. Hands down.
- Do you have a sneaking suspicion that you are on the brink of a major life decision?
My answer: Yes, but that may be just because my school is pressuring us on what we should do with our lives.
- Are you afraid to tell friends and family that you are thinking about priesthood?
My answer: I was for a while. Then just this past sunday it kind of slipped at breakfast. I was only with my mom, but she reacted differently than I expected. She was supportive. I was scared for a while.
- Does the idea of becoming a priest attract you and at the same time frighten you because you feel “unworthy?”
My answer: YES 100% I can’t even stress enough how much this is accurate.
- Have you ever felt your heart move as a priest celebrated the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and thought what it would be like to stand at his place at the altar?
My answer: I’ve cried in church. Enough said?
- Have others encouraged you to consider priesthood?
My answer: No.
Okay, so maybe these answers mean “yes, I am called,” or, “no, not called.” Either way, I need help. If I am being called, what am I supposed to do? If not, should I just let it go? If it’s any help, I’m currently in RCIA, and I will be baptized on April 19, 2014.
I just need advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.