"Where are all the single Catholics?"

I have come-across numerous cases of both male and female single Catholics who say that they cannot find any good Catholics to date, asking where they’ve all gone. Members of the opposite sex will respond saying that they’re indeed out there, but then shoot back that they can’t find anyone themselves.

So this is a strange paradox: single Catholics of both genders exist but cannot find one another. Has anyone else noticed this strange phenomenon? And why can’t the two sexes seem to find the other?

You're in ILL. You shouldn't be complaining. You have one of the biggest Catholic Young adult organizations. Look up Couples for Christ and their subchapter Singles for Christ. They have many HUGE groups in and around Chicago-land and many more out further.

No offense, but I Live in Illinois as well, and most of the state is nowhere near Chicago. And making frequent trips to Chicago is not one of the most enjoyable things.

single Catholics of both genders exist but cannot find one another. Has anyone else noticed this strange phenomenon? And why can’t the two sexes seem to find the other?

It is true, Where are they? I myself join Catholic singles and nothing!
I live in California! Yes! there lots of women! but just few catholic!
I think we have to wait until GOD will send one in HIS lovely time!
I do understand that Our GOD has in HIS heart a beautiful wife for each one of us!
and HE will reveal her name, and provide the moment and the time.
Let us just focus in GOD’s kingdom and the rest will come!

holyambitionlee:
the last 4 lines of your post are truly beautiful.
Trouble is, at the age of 55, I`ve more or less given up hope.
The only chance now seems to be to pray to Methuselah for his intercession to givvus a few
more years of life.

Dood, I already like you. We must have a couple of shots one day you wind up on the old continent or I visit Uncle Sam’s Land.

In order to stay on topic, though, I’m single too, in what is a Catholic country (90% baptised Catholic and 30% attendance, but still). It’s definitely not like there are no women here, but things don’t work out and whenever it gets to it, there’s always some obstacle. Typically, it comes to views on the world. I’m looking (except I’m not actively looking ATM) for a serious Catholic but one who will not be disappointed if I don’t join a particular group or ministry or don’t subscripe to a particular spirituality or discipline. Needless to say, I do need the certain *je ne sais quoi *(not exactly spark and not exactly what most people understand as attraction, but nonetheless still there) plus I need to be able to talk about things. Not someone who will laugh if I use Latin, roll eyes when I get off on a historical tangent or explain a complex grammatical issue few people care about, or think I’m wrong in the head for being able to piece a computer together or code and enjoying it. I lose most people somewhere at such a stage. I don’t take it against them, but I wouldn’t be happy in a marriage matched after that manner.

However, with years passing, I’ve learnt about life, about people, I know more about where to seek and how to do so. If I end up dying single, that will mean it was too difficult in earthly terms to find a “soulmate” (no, I don’t support that theory) and the dying single alternative was better than making changes relying on reduction to commonly acceptable levels.

Thats why I said “Chicago-land area” and not Chicago. I also said they had many groups further out.

I don’t like going to Boston, but I will for young adult events. When I lived 5hrs from NYC I’d make a trek down there a couple of times a year for fellowship becuase there was nothing in my area.

My best advice is to be google-wise. I found a young adult group website for America (and it has other countries).
catholicyoungadults.com/cyagroups.html
I google (town) catholic young adult group…that’s how I found my 1st one.
I check craig’s list…how i found a second one.
I call the dioceses & check their websites. I found my favorite YA group this way.
I went through over 40 parishes using Mass times and personally e-mailed or called each one. I found a couple that way.
I check Facebook for pages on young adult catholics.

When all was said and done I had many groups to choose from in a 1hr radius from my house. Groups that people who live closer whine don’t exist while they twiddle away on CA.

Yes, its a lot of hard work, but it will get results.

If you can navigate this forum and live anywhere near a populated area there are Young adult groups to be found. There are faithful young adults. I think the problem with a forum is that people stop here in their search for young catholic adults…or faithful Catholics in general.

Also what makes it difficult for me is lack of a car. There are things in Seattle, but it ia bus trip of 1 and a half- two hours ONE WAY. And a cab would be too expensive (30 miles), with a rate of $2.50 per quarter mile. I can't just stop by after work, I would have to have a whole day off to do anything.

But I did fidn a church nearby that has a good single person population. I was looking at the bulletin, and young adult and singles rule the bulletin, while married couple, families, and children are shoved in one corner. Awesome. So unlike anything I've ever seen in the churches in Salem, Oregon. When I went to Mass, there weren't very many children, families, or happy couples. But a lot of men. :D:D:D:D:D All I need is a net and tranquilizer gun.

[quote="LotusCarsLtd, post:1, topic:181000"]
I have come-across numerous cases of both male and female single Catholics who say that they cannot find any good Catholics to date, asking where they've all gone. Members of the opposite sex will respond saying that they're indeed out there, but then shoot back that they can't find anyone themselves.

So this is a strange paradox: single Catholics of both genders exist but cannot find one another. Has anyone else noticed this strange phenomenon? And why can't the two sexes seem to find the other?

[/quote]

Personally, I don't get this. Every time I go to a local Catholic event, like a Bible study or Theology on Tap, I get to know at least one single Catholic girl. Most of the time, the girl chats me up instead. Granted I live in a fair-sized city, so maybe that makes it a bit easier. I would imagine that it's harder for women, since at most of these events, it's mostly women who go there. So for guys, the ratio is really good. Just my $0.02.

I live in Chicagoland. Yes, there is an active young adult ministry. The problem is, when I went to some of the events and met some of the people and speakers and their mindset, I had to wonder if it was really Catholic.

I could give more thoughts, but I’m afraid that Karl Keating’s next monetary appeal will be for an additional server.

Have you ever been to Old St. Pat’s? I heard they have a really active young adults ministry so I decided to check it out whenever they have another event.

Do you know if it’s any good?

In Chicagoland isn’t just one ministry but several. Each church is different, even with dio. run programs. I’d say away from TOT’s becuase they seem to bring in the cafeteria catholics and the very analitical conservatives that can be critical and hard to make friends with.

[quote="LotusCarsLtd, post:11, topic:181000"]
Have you ever been to Old St. Pat's? I heard they have a really active young adults ministry so I decided to check it out whenever they have another event.

Do you know if it's any good?

[/quote]

Yes, I've been there. I will remain silent on the rest.

I know, I tend to “hang my hat” at the St. Mary of the Angels young adult group.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.