Where are the Mainline and Progressive Evangelical Voices Speaking Up after that Planned Parenthood Tragedy?

Where are the mainline denominational leaders speaking up, while millions of people in their churches have heard the news or watched the video and wonder where their church stands?

And, most of all, where’s the voice of some of those progressive evangelicals who once promised that, though they were broadening the pro-life agenda to include peace, the environment, and social justice, assured us they would not lose sight of the life of the unborn?

christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2015/july/wherearethey.html

I don’t think you’ll hear anymore about this from them than you did the HHS Mandate.

Jon

Thank you so much for posting this.
I hope EVERONE reads this.

God bless.

:thumbsup:

And I’m posting it on social media. :smiley:

Can you imagine the out cry if this was being done to puppies and kittens at animal shelters? What is wrong with us?

They may be too busy celebrating the LGBT agenda “victories” they have come to support, I’m not joking either.

It’s probably because I live in the Deep South, but I’ve actually heard a good deal about it from my Protestant friends down here.

But what about your preachers.? But then so many of them think abortion itself is Ok so why should this upset them. If you can so viciously kill an unborn baby well who cares what you do with the pathetic little corpus. Cold, cold hearts we have developed. Dear God have Mercy on those who turn their head the other way !!! God Bless, Memaw

Never mind about them. What about the Jesuit publication “America” who’s actually defending this video as taken out of contect? The articl actually went after the UCCB! We should be more concerned about what Catholics are saying. I wonder if this will be included even in Prayers of the Faithful this week!

My wife and I are conservative evangelicals and we were very upset at the Planned Parenthood video and how callous they were when discussing how they broke apart the unborn baby’s body parts in the womb to not damage certain parts and talked about a “17 weeker” like it was a prized buck during deer season or something. It sickened our stomachs to listen to that and how some people can be so cold and uncaring of human life.

Our pastor spoke out against so-called Same Sex Marriage from the pulpit and said to watch out for potential future persecution of Christians who won’t compromise God’s truth in these and other areas that are not “politically correct”.

For many progressives, the baby is just a lump of tissue and that is how they justify killing innocent life, but it is an irrational position, because babies can feel pain at a certain age (I forgot about exactly when) after which many abortions are still performed.

One of my biggest pet peeves with some Christians who are not pro-life is that they rationalize by saying stuff like, “I personally don’t believe in abortion but I don’t feel I have the right to tell other people what to do”. I reply that it is God who is against abortion – it is not just our opinion.

I applaud Christianity Today for this article. Maybe it will wake some people up. That video was really disgusting.

The article makes no mention of Franklin Graham or Doctor Moore of the Southern Baptist Convention??

christiantimes.com/article/franklin.graham.blasts.planned.parenthood.video.says.people.who.perform.abortions.have.no.conscience/52820.htm

Meanwhile, the outrage over the horrific video has spread like wildfire.

Dr. Russell Moore, the president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, summed it up in one word – speechless.

“If this does not shock the conscience, what will?” Moore wrote online. ‘It is not only that infants, in their mother’s wombs, are deprived of their lives, but also that their corpses are desecrated for profit.”

Think about that for a moment – desecrated unborn babies for profit.

“This is not only murderous; it is murderous in the most ghoulish way imaginable,” Moore added.

Moore is calling on Congress and the Department of Justice to investigate.

“For years, many of us have called on government leaders to see to it that no taxpayer funds, of any kind, go to Planned Parenthood,” Moore wrote. “Is it not clear that these are not health-care providers but pirates and grave-robbers of those who have no graves?”

foxnews.com/opinion/2015/07/15/shock-video-planned-parenthood-sells-dead-baby-body-parts.html

Franklin Graham and the President of the SBC, you can’t get more high profile than that for Evangelicals I’d say.

Bryan Fischer, AFA and a controversial figure in his own right: afa.net/the-stand/sanctity-of-life/planned-parenthood-is-josef-mengele/#.VaVVeCCvAIg.twitter

Dr. Moore expresses this in one of the best ways imaginable. I know the Pope has spoken up for life countless times but I thought with this latest bombshell report, we might hear something from him. Perhaps this weekend.

Were the people who did the investigation apart of a Catholic, Protestant or non-affiliated group?

Curious because I’m really not sure.

Also, it’s rare for Evangelicals to not speak out against abortion. I think they’re quite against this sort of thing.

And as a matter of fact, I know some Presidential Candidates were asked about it.

I’m rather sure, Rick Santorum, a Catholic and Scott Walker, an Evangelical, were asked. I know they are not exactly leaders but they are indeed, voices as far as that goes.

A whole week has not gone by yet, what are we expecting? That a Preacher at a 4 square Church is going to say something?

I don’t know if Pat Robertson has said something, of course, he is Evangelical I gather but I would not be looking at TV preachers as much.

I may be wrong, but I think the OP is referring to groups like Methodists and Presbyterians, etc when referring to “mainline and progressive evangelicals” than more conservative evangelical denominations like Southern Baptists and Assembly of God and groups like that, who tend to be more in line with traditional Catholics on the subjects of Same Sex Marriage and abortion.

Southern Baptists are quite conservative…not very progressive.

All the people you mention are conservative evangelicals.

The author of the article, also a conservative, was chastising mainliners (those belonging to Protestant denominations that include a broad range of opinions and are often dominated by liberals) and “progressive evangelicals” (a recent faction of largely younger folks who are breaking away from the conservative socio-political positions that have been identified with evangelicalism in the past few decades, and to a great extent are also challenging traditional evangelical theology).

This article, posted today, does what Stetzer is calling for. Too bad there aren’t more, but God bless this author, who I think has some very important points to make for both sides.

For those who do not know, the America magazine has been a far out, liberal publication that I think forgot what Catholic means.( for many, many years) I wouldn’t give them the time of day. Like some Universities that call themselves Catholic, I don’t think this publication is any more Catholic than the man in the moon. Remember, some who “call” themselves Catholic may be so far out they, like I said, “forgot” what Catholic means. And some do it on purpose. God Bless, Memaw

Thank you very much.

Where do you get this info from. I listen to Protestant and Catholic TV most of the day and I NEVER hear any protestant pastor say this is okay…Reference your information please! I’ll take them on if what you say is true!

God bless!

Rita

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.