Where are the prophets today?

(1 Corinthians 14:1-5) “You must want love more than anything else; but still hope for the
Spiritual gifts as well, especially prophecy. Anybody with the gift of tongues speaks to God, but not to other people; because nobody understands him when he talks in the spirit about mysterious things. On the other hand, the man who prophesies does talk to other people, to their improvement, their encouragement and their consolation. The one with the gift of tongues talks for his own benefit, but the man who prophesies does so for the benefit of the community. While I should like you all to have the gift of tongues, I would much rather you could prophesy, since the man who prophesies is of greater importance than the man with the gift tongues, unless of course the latter offers an interpretation so tat the church may get some benefit.

I would submit to you that we are all called to be prophets, today. We have the good news to tell the world…we simply need to tell it. Remember the prophets spoke of the coming of our Lord. He has come already, and He will come again. In the mean time we have this incredibly wonderful news of the truth embodied in the one and only Church that Christ gave to the world…where he still dwells among us in the form of the sacraments. We have the Gospel to communicate to the non-believers.

How we communicate all of this is according the gifts God has given us, and by simply living our lives according to the way Christ called us to live.

They’re around, I promise you. However, people can’t go around saying, “Thus says the Lord!” anymore, they’d get laughed out of town. Furthermore, with the ceasing of public divine revelation, and the Catholic church already containing the fullness of truth, their role has changed somewhat.

Therefore, modern day prophets tend to not make boisterous statements, but rather quietly admonish and affirm obediance to the church and devotion to Christ, using words of inspiration giving to them by the Holy Spirit. Two specific examples I’ll give you are Mother Angelica and John Paul 2, although there’s a lot more hiding in the ranks of the Catholic parish life.

Josh

[quote=StCsDavid]I would submit to you that we are all called to be prophets, today. We have the good news to tell the world…we simply need to tell it. Remember the prophets spoke of the coming of our Lord. He has come already, and He will come again. In the mean time we have this incredibly wonderful news of the truth embodied in the one and only Church that Christ gave to the world…where he still dwells among us in the form of the sacraments. We have the Gospel to communicate to the non-believers.

How we communicate all of this is according the gifts God has given us, and by simply living our lives according to the way Christ called us to live.
[/quote]

(Revelation 7:15-17) “I know all about you: how you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were one or the other, but since you are neither, but only lukewarm, I will spit you out of my mouth.”

In Revelation John tells us that Jesus pointed out many of the Churches errors. If the Church was already making errors, what makes you think that it isn’t still doing so?

I believe most Catholics are very much like the Pharisees were when Jesus talked to them. I believe even when Jesus tells Christians today something different from what their church has taught them, they say it must be Satan.

The Holy Spirit is still sending prophets, giving people the gift of Prophecy, but because people don’t believe the Church could do anything wrong no one listens.
Giver

[quote=Giver](Revelation 7:15-17) “I know all about you: how you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were one or the other, but since you are neither, but only lukewarm, I will spit you out of my mouth.”

In Revelation John tells us that Jesus pointed out many of the Churches errors. If the Church was already making errors, what makes you think that it isn’t still doing so?

I believe most Catholics are very much like the Pharisees were when Jesus talked to them. I believe even when Jesus tells Christians today something different from what their church has taught them, they say it must be Satan.

The Holy Spirit is still sending prophets, giving people the gift of Prophecy, but because people don’t believe the Church could do anything wrong no one listens.
Giver
[/quote]

The Catholic Church is the Deposit of Faith founded by Christ on Peter. It CANNOT make and has not made mistakes about faith and morals.

God continues to send the gift of prophecy to some in His Church.

I believe even a couple of recent Popes could be accused of prophetic writings.

But nothing any “true” prophet brings us from God is going to contradict the deposit of faith given by our Lord Jesus Christ to his Apostles and handed down to their successors.

Christ gave us all that was necessary for Salvation and IS the Final Word. There is no need for further public revelation.

Though some may receive private revelations of benefit to all faithful, they will not “correct” any Truth handed down by Christ Himself and Protected by His Holy Spirit alive in His Church.

Anyone who claims to supercede the teaching of Christ and his Church cannot be of God.

Chuck

[quote=thistle]The Catholic Church is the Deposit of Faith founded by Christ on Peter. It CANNOT make and has not made mistakes about faith and morals.
[/quote]

I just showed you in Scripture where the Church did make mistakes. Now show me in Scripture where it says that the Church: QUOTE=thistle] The Catholic Church is the Deposit of Faith founded by Christ on Peter. It CANNOT make and has not made mistakes about faith and morals.

Let me point out a few mistakes about faith and morals that the Church is making:

(Luke 14:33) “So in the same way, none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up all his possessions.”

(Matthew 6:19) “Do not store up treasures for yourselves on earth, where moths and woodworms destroy them and thieves can break in and steal.”

(Matthew 5:43-44) “You have learnt how it was said, you must love your neighbor and hate your enemy, but I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

(1 John 3:3-9) “Surely everyone who entertains this hope must purify himself, must try to be as pure as Christ. Any one who sins at all breaks the law, because to sin is to break the law. Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin: anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him. My children do not let anyone lead you astray’ to live a holy life is to be holy just as He is holy’ to lead a sinful life is to belong the Devil, since the Devil was a sinner from the beginning. It was to undo all that the Devil has done that the Son of God appeared. No one who has been begotten by God sins: because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

(Hebrews 6:4) “As for those people who were once brought into the light, and tasted the gift from Heaven, and received a share of the Holy Spirit, and appreciated the good message of God and the powers of the world to come and yet in spite of this have fallen away it is impossible for that to be renewed a second time. They cannot be repentant if they have willfully crucified the Son of God and openly mocked Him.”
Giver

[quote=Giver]I just showed you in Scripture where the Church did make mistakes. Now show me in Scripture where it says that the Church: QUOTE=thistle] The Catholic Church is the Deposit of Faith founded by Christ on Peter. It CANNOT make and has not made mistakes about faith and morals.
[/quote]

Let me point out a few mistakes about faith and morals that the Church is making:

(Luke 14:33) “So in the same way, none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up all his possessions.”

(Matthew 6:19) “Do not store up treasures for yourselves on earth, where moths and woodworms destroy them and thieves can break in and steal.”

(Matthew 5:43-44) “You have learnt how it was said, you must love your neighbor and hate your enemy, but I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”

(1 John 3:3-9) “Surely everyone who entertains this hope must purify himself, must try to be as pure as Christ. Any one who sins at all breaks the law, because to sin is to break the law. Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin: anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him. My children do not let anyone lead you astray’ to live a holy life is to be holy just as He is holy’ to lead a sinful life is to belong the Devil, since the Devil was a sinner from the beginning. It was to undo all that the Devil has done that the Son of God appeared. No one who has been begotten by God sins: because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

(Hebrews 6:4) “As for those people who were once brought into the light, and tasted the gift from Heaven, and received a share of the Holy Spirit, and appreciated the good message of God and the powers of the world to come and yet in spite of this have fallen away it is impossible for that to be renewed a second time. They cannot be repentant if they have willfully crucified the Son of God and openly mocked Him.”
Giver

This will answer your question:

www.scripturecatholic.com/the_church.html

Pope Paul VI issued one of the most prophetic statements in Humanae vitae. The Gospel of Life (like all the writings of our beloved JP2) is prophetic. Leo 13 was also a prophet. Pope Pius XI was prophetic in his denunciations of fascism in the 30s.

Bishop Bruskewicz, Bishop Burke and Bishop Chaput are examples of courageous bishops whose teachings and pronouncements are not only pastoral but prophetic.
Fr. Frank Pavone is a prophet.

Mother Teresa was a prophet, and also Fr. Benedict Groeschel is often a prophet.

When people in the Church such as these teach and apply the Gospel in ways that directly apply to current conditions in the Church and society, and furthermore are honest, pastoral and truthful about the implication of actions and trends of institutions and individuals, they are a prophetic voice.

there are also many false prophets operating, some under the shelter of the Church itself, using their positions in the Church to spread lies, dissension and heresy.

[quote=thistle]Let me point out a few mistakes about faith and morals that the Church is making:

Giver
[/quote]

This will answer your question:

www.scripturecatholic.com/the_church.html
Now I know what the church says all those Scriptures say, and I don’t even want to get into arguing all of the reasoning that went into convincing whomever that the present pope is the successor of Peter.

There is much controversy about what church is the true church of God. The Eastern Orthodox Church says that the Roman Catholic Church is the first Protestant Church.

I personally don’t have any concern about what others say is the true Church of God, because to me the true Church of God are those who hear the Word of the Lord and live It.
(Matthew 7:21) “It is not those who say to me, ‘Lord, Lord’, who will enter the kingdom of Heaven but the person who does the will of My Father in Heaven. When the day comes many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, work many miracles in your name?’ Then I shall tell them to their faces; I have never known you; away from Me, you evil men!”

(Luke 13:22) “Through towns and villages He went teaching, making His way to Jerusalem. Someone said to Him, ‘Sir will there be only a few saved?’ He said to them, “Try your best to enter by the narrow door, because, I tell you many will try to enter and will not succeed.”

My argument is the Church committed errors while Peter and other Apostles were alive, so why after they died have things changed? Was not the Holy Spirit leading the Church then?

My argument is the Church committed errors while Peter and other Apostles were alive, so why after they died have things changed? Was not the Holy Spirit leading the Church then?

What errors were committed, in your opinion?

[quote=Giver]Let me point out a few mistakes about faith and morals that the Church is making:

[/quote]

Ok, but don’t get your feelings hurt as I show you how messed up this is Robert.

So YOU have no possessions? How do you shelter and feed your beloved wife and the grandchildren that you have mentioned on here before? Yet you will apply this to others and not comply with it yourself. And you used the ad hominem “Pharisee” on the Catholic Church. :tsktsk:

See my point above…

John Paul II set us all a beautiful example of this very thing, and so far as I know all of us strive for that same ideal every day.

(1 John 3:3-9) “3: And every one who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.
4: Every one who commits sin is guilty of lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.
5: You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.
6: No one who abides in him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him.
7: Little children, let no one deceive you. He who does right is righteous, as he is righteous.
8: He who commits sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.
9: No one born of God commits sin; for God’s nature abides in him, and he cannot sin because he is born of God. ”

(Changed the Bible translation to RSV because I really find yours almost a paraphrase. What version is that anyway?) Many of us have already shown you where you have taken this out of the context of the Word of God and that your allegations against us are unfounded. You hold to an interpretation that is heresy and has been considered so by Christians for centuries, yet you have revived it.

Jesus also said:21 He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. 23 Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained. (John 20:21-23) Yet you reject that as well as the plain fact that the New Testament tells us that we will and should confess our sins and receive absolution (The meaning of the word “forgive” in that verse!) for them. So… who’s really in error here Robert?

A further proof text taken out of context. You are the only one that preaches this error, not even the reformers held to this doctrine, and those who may have considered it have been rebuked by Christians every time it has arisen.

I and others have again and again shown you from the Word of God and Christian history that you are teaching error here and yet you persist. You know what the New Testament teaches about when a brother refuses correction don’t you? (Matthew 18:15-20)

I don’t recommend that you call yourself a prophet Robert, because you will quickly find that you gain an adjective added to that title…the word “false”.
Pax tecum

[quote=Church Militant]Ok, but don’t get your feelings hurt as I show you how messed up this is Robert.

So YOU have no possessions? How do you shelter and feed your beloved wife and the grandchildren that you have mentioned on here before? Yet you will apply this to others and not comply with it yourself. And you used the ad hominem “Pharisee” on the Catholic Church. :tsktsk: See my point above…John Paul II set us all a beautiful example of this very thing, and so far as I know all of us strive for that same ideal every day.(Changed the Bible translation to RSV because I really find yours almost a paraphrase. What version is that anyway?) Many of us have already shown you where you have taken this out of the context of the Word of God and that your allegations against us are unfounded. You hold to an interpretation that is heresy and has been considered so by Christians for centuries, yet you have revived it.

Jesus also said:21 He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. 23 Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained. (John 20:21-23) Yet you reject that as well as the plain fact that the New Testament tells us that we will and should confess our sins and receive absolution (The meaning of the word “forgive” in that verse!) for them. So… who’s really in error here Robert?A further proof text taken out of context. You are the only one that preaches this error, not even the reformers held to this doctrine, and those who may have considered it have been rebuked by Christians every time it has arisen.

I and others have again and again shown you from the Word of God and Christian history that you are teaching error here and yet you persist. You know what the New Testament teaches about when a brother refuses correction don’t you? (Matthew 18:15-20)

I don’t recommend that you call yourself a prophet Robert, because you will quickly find that you gain an adjective added to that title…the word “false”.
Pax tecum
[/quote]

(Acts 2:44-45) “The faithful all lived together and owned everything in common; they sold their goods and possessions and shared out the proceeds among themselves according to what each one needed.”
“The Jerusalem Bible”

[quote=Giver]My argument is the Church committed errors while Peter and other Apostles were alive, so why after they died have things changed? Was not the Holy Spirit leading the Church then?
[/quote]

And just exactly what errors are these?

Don’t just cut and past passages of scripture in answer this time though. Tell us specifically what these errors were and then just give us the Bible references that supposedly support your assertions and we’ll answer every one.

Meanwhile, justify to us why you have a home and possessions and yet lay on others a burden that you yourself have not complied with.

Your teaching is error and you have been deceived and you persist in that deception and attempt to spread it to the rest of the Body of Christ.
Pax tecum,

[quote=Church Militant]And just exactly what errors are these?

Don’t just cut and past passages of scripture in answer this time though. Tell us specifically what these errors were and then just give us the Bible references that supposedly support your assertions and we’ll answer every one.

Meanwhile, justify to us why you have a home and possessions and yet lay on others a burden that you yourself have not complied with.

Your teaching is error and you have been deceived and you persist in that deception and attempt to spread it to the rest of the Body of Christ.
Pax tecum,/QUOT

Read and answer my Post # 7
[/quote]

I read your post 7. What, exactly and specifically, do you state that, based on your quotes from the Bible, the Church has “erred” on? And by whose authority do you interpret Scripture (and do remember Peter)…

[quote=Giver](Acts 2:44-45) “The faithful all lived together and owned everything in common; they sold their goods and possessions and shared out the proceeds among themselves according to what each one needed.”
“The Jerusalem Bible”
[/quote]

Uh huh, and so you comply with this how?

Furthermore…this was one community of faith, but it is very plain from the New Testament (The same book of Acts in fact) that this was not the case everywhere. If then, that is the case , you have no justification for asserting that all Christians (or is it just us poor stupid Catholics that you target?) must comply with this.
Pax tecum,

[quote=Giver]Read and answer my Post # 7
[/quote]

A non-answer…

[quote=Giver]I just showed you in Scripture where the Church did make mistakes. Now show me in Scripture where it says that the Church: QUOTE=thistle] The Catholic Church is the Deposit of Faith founded by Christ on Peter. It CANNOT make and has not made mistakes about faith and morals.
[/quote]

The Church gives to the need from their own possessions more so than other Christians. And Religious orders do give up all they own to live in a community. But as a disciple who has a family I most be able to provide for them. As a third order Franciscan I have taken the oath of proverity, which means I will not live beyond my means. I agree I can work a bit harder at this :o but my husband and I really try to stick to this, we own a very modest house and are very careful with our purcheses.

Explained above :slight_smile:

I think tha Catholics are good examples of this, ie this thread. Catholics tend to get from all ends, rarely do i see a Catholic ploting against some else. ( I may be naive in this though)

Do you recieve your scarements daily? As a Catholic a good practicing Catholic you would do this and by receciving your sacraments daily you are purifying your self.

Giver

Stated above. :slight_smile:

I am not quite following you on this. The Church follows all of these and more. Like others have asked please show us were you precive these errors and we can give you our answers.

Monica

[quote=Tantum ergo]I read your post 7. What, exactly and specifically, do you state that, based on your quotes from the Bible, the Church has “erred” on? And by whose authority do you interpret Scripture (and do remember Peter)…
[/quote]

The Catholics Churches teachings on: war, possessions, usury, and sin are not Scriptural.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.