Where are the Protestant convert writings?

I posted this once before and got no response so I’m trying again.
I am simply looking for an explanation as to why there seems to be a disproportionate number of Protestant ministers, deacons, priests, seminarians, etc converting to the Catholic Church and so few Catholic priests, deacons, seminarians, nuns converting to Protestantism. I realize my observation may be biased - I am a Catholic. But I hold no grudges against Protestants per se. I simply know that there is a wealth of conversion stories available to Catholics from former devout Protestants(seminary trained) who converted to the Catholic Church, yet I haven’t seen the writings of any formerly devout ex-Catholics(seminary trained) who found their home in the Protestant Churches. Can anyone list a few books books of such conversions or do they really not exist?

Thanks,

Phil

Maybe post on a protestant board?

Well, Karl Keating’s book *Catholicism and Fundamentalism *mentions a few conversions of priests/nuns to fundamentalism. He mentions the book Pilgrimage from Rome, which he says “is less a self-revelation than a course in anti-Catholicism set in the first person.” It would be interesting to know if there are Protestant conversion writings that are less anti-Catholic and more like the conversion stories we hear from Cardinal Newman, Scott Hahn, and others.

Go to the EWTN “The Journey Home” link. They have posted many stories about people who have converted. They also have a weekly TV show.

I’ve been watching this show for a while and with respect to Protestent clergy, often they realize that much as they love the people in their congregation they realize that the Protestant religion is like a puzzle missing that last important piece. They realize that they are longing for something no Protestant church provides. Maybe the term is ‘the fullness of truth.’ Although Protestant churches have the Eucharist and some even believe in the Real Presence, the lack of apostolic succession, the protean quality to the denomination’s doctrines, all make them feel they are trying to build a home on shifting sands.

Anyway try to get to the Journey Home’s website (might be www.tjh.com or .org) You will find a lot of writings and references to converts

Lisa N

[quote=Grace and Glory]Well, Karl Keating’s book *Catholicism and Fundamentalism *mentions a few conversions of priests/nuns to fundamentalism. He mentions the book Pilgrimage from Rome, which he says “is less a self-revelation than a course in anti-Catholicism set in the first person.” It would be interesting to know if there are Protestant conversion writings that are less anti-Catholic and more like the conversion stories we hear from Cardinal Newman, Scott Hahn, and others.
[/quote]

Thanks - Ive read Keatings Catholicism and Fundamentalism and had forgotten he mentioned some converts to Protestantism - I’ll check it again. That book has been out a while, though, hasn’t it?

Phil

[quote=MariaG]Maybe post on a protestant board?
[/quote]

Thanks Maria. Im confident that more than a few Protestants cross this forum - no? We seem to get an abundant supply of debaters when we question theological issues - this shouldn’t be much different. In addition, plenty of ex-Protestants who would have had exposure to such literature should be around too…
Yup, the silence speaks volumes.

Phil

I don’t know of any conversion stories from Catholic to Protestantism that came about through deep soul-searching for truth. (How could that be possible anyway?!) I know of conversion stories full of bitterness about the Church teachings on divorce, birth control, etc. I’ve seen other stories in which converts pick and choose which Protestant church makes them most comfortable. None of them can say that they read the early Church Fathers and realized that they were in the wrong church! Sadly, many Catholics have been poorly catechized and Protestant evangelists are ready to move in on those poor souls with false teachings about the Church.

[quote=Eden]I know of conversion stories full of bitterness about the Church teachings on divorce, birth control, etc. I’ve seen other stories in which converts pick and choose which Protestant church makes them most comfortable.
[/quote]

Moral relativism is a real downer. :frowning:

Philthy,

I asked the same basic question months ago on another thread I started. I researched for a long time and several people here helped me as well. Here is what I found out.

You don’t hear about many because very simply there aren’t. Yes there have been a few but a very few indeed. Of those most don’t write about it because some left to get married or they were overlooked to be promoted etc.

I only know of one former Catholic clergy that is somewhat active in his anti-Catholic writtings.

The most interesting thing is it’s easier to find Catholic clergy that went over to the dark side, saw the error of their mistake and came back home to Rome. I’ve found several of these and they do write a little about the errors of what led them astray and how Jesus led them back home.

My PC crashed and I have not got the hard drive in to ‘rescue’ my files (they all got reformed I guess?). All my data was on the HD otherwize I’d give you some links.

As I recall mtc.org had an EX-priest?
Chick.com claims to have one but he is a fraud and never was a preist, at least not a Catholic one.

Most protestant writtings from EX-Catholic priests come from years ago or are just plain fiction like chick tracts. Look for the date of the writtings and you’ll often find they don’t mention a date since the priest has been dead for 50-100 years.

If you find some I would like to read what they have to say.

Would it be wrong to wish you good luck on this?:hmmm:

I guess it would so I won’t.:wink:

God bless,

As a protestant growing up in my church I heard stories about why people converted and in my family I know of a few who converted to Buddhism. Those who converted to Protestantism told me that they felt like the Catholic church was cold and the they felt like more a part of the church community in my church. My neighbor growing up converted and became a pastor so there are definitely stories out there, I would agree that maybe the best way to find the reasons would be to visit a protestant board. I came here to learn about my wives faith and clear up a few things for myself (part of what I believe is that if you stop growing in your faith and stop questioning why you believe what you believe you allow your faith to die). If you are really wanting to know about why people change to Protestantism check a Protestant board.

In the UK there used to be a magazine called “The Converted Catholic”. This was jammed full of conversion stories, reasons to convert, and how to lead people out of catholicism. But that magazine folded many years ago and back issues are probably only in existence now in places like the Evangelical Library in London.

I am not sure of the numbers of converts in either direction. I would however feign from thinking that numbers of converts is a direct statement of truth. Why, because at one time most Bishops were converts to Arianism. If we followed such logic the people back in the day could have argued that Arianism was true.

Hardly scientific but based upon those that I know who have left the Church for protestantism, their reasons were not much of substance and doctrine but rather due to feelings and emotion. (Things like the “fellowship” is better, simplicity of message, etc). Those who come home to the Church (such as myself) seem to be drawn by doctrine, unchanging moral standards, consistency of dogma that is well though out (revealed) and such; things that one could really write about.

thanks everyone!!!

Im very excited that anyone bothered to respond at all!

I will do some more research into Protestant online catalogues, etc

One thing we must all remember: when we question why people leave the Catholic, we should all look squarely in the mirror and ask ouselves, “Would anyone leave because of my example?” or “Could I have been a better example to keep people from leaving?” I think we all know the answers to those questions…

PHil

I personally know several people who went from the Catholic Church to Protestant Churches. They all say the same thing… they grew up Catholic, went to Catholic School, went to mass every week but NEVER heard about Jesus. They were never told that he died on the cross for THEIR sins.

I don’t get it. I’ve been going to mass for a year now & I think it’s ALL ABOUT JESUS. I don’t understand how they could’ve missed it??? Unless mentioning Jesus is a new thing? (haha!)

Have your read or heard Scott Hahn? He was a protestant, bible scholar who had his heart set on bringing the Church down until he began to study about it. He converted and now teaches at The Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio. He might be a good resource for you.

Also talk to Space Ghost. His signature says it all, “One you go Vatican…You’ll never go back again!”

Peace to you, Elizabeth

[quote=carol marie]I personally know several people who went from the Catholic Church to Protestant Churches. They all say the same thing… they grew up Catholic, went to Catholic School, went to mass every week but NEVER heard about Jesus. They were never told that he died on the cross for THEIR sins.

I don’t get it. I’ve been going to mass for a year now & I think it’s ALL ABOUT JESUS. I don’t understand how they could’ve missed it??? Unless mentioning Jesus is a new thing? (haha!)
[/quote]

Off topic, but some Catholics simply “go through the motions” at Mass since that is what they learned as a child. As they grew up they never felt compelled to grow in their faith and eventually felt “left out” Unfortunately its not all their fault. I believe there is a fair amount of Catholics who fit in this category…

Phil

[quote=elizabeth4truth]Have your read or heard Scott Hahn? He was a protestant, bible scholar who had his heart set on bringing the Church down until he began to study about it. He converted and now teaches at The Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio. He might be a good resource for you.

Also talk to Space Ghost. His signature says it all, “One you go Vatican…You’ll never go back again!”

Peace to you, Elizabeth
[/quote]

Hi E!!

Yes I have heard about and read some of Hahn’s stuff - its great! There are lots of his type of story - seminary trained ex-antiCatholic Protestant who comes home to the Catholic Church. Im looking for someone like him who converted from Catholicism TO a Protestant Church…

Phil

[quote=Philthy]Hi E!!

Yes I have heard about and read some of Hahn’s stuff - its great! There are lots of his type of story - seminary trained ex-antiCatholic Protestant who comes home to the Catholic Church. Im looking for someone like him who converted from Catholicism TO a Protestant Church…

Phil
[/quote]

Good fortune to you Phil,

I’ll keep a look out. The only one that comes to mind is Luther. He was a Catholic priest before protesting the Church and starting the Lutheran Church.

Peace to you,
Elizabeth

**Hey all-

I think I have found a winner! Below is a description of the type of book I was looking for - which is available on line for almost nothing. I didn’t feel right posting the name of the book. Oh well, I guess they are out there after all - kind of disturbing, but somewhat expected…

thanks again,

Phil

Description: **This book contains the moving testimonies of fifty priests who found their way, by the grace of God, out of the labyrinth of Roman Catholic theology and practice into the light of the gospel of Christ. But this is not a narrowly polemical work, nor is its relevance limited to the ongoing controversy between Rome and the churches of the Reformation. The love and concern felt by the former priests for those they left behind, and their fervent desire that they too should experience the joy and peace of salvation in Christ are seen throughout. The wider relevance of the experiences described will also be felt in many contexts remote from Roman Catholicism where human pride and presumption have erected rival sources of authority between people and the Word of God, so obscuring the way of salvation by grace alone, through faith alone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.