Where are you on your spiritual journey?

at this time I am a cranky old man

so don’t take my complaining too seriously but look for the wisdom

Dear Daniel Marsh,

I don’t know anything more about you than the few words you’ve posted in this thread … But I love the simple, direct liveliness of your spirit! :slight_smile: :cool: :thumbsup:

~~ the phoenix

[quote=ctybring]I am in the process of converting, i am currently attending a belife cource at my local Church
[/quote]

God bless you and Welcome, ctybring !!! :slight_smile: :cool: :thumbsup:

~~ the phoenix

[quote=sarcophagus]I haven’t even started my spiritual journey yet, don’t even now the road I have to go down…lol. I’, struggling with somethings, it’s a battle and has been since I was 12. It’s with drugs, I stopped all the bad drugs like E and coke and all that cause I learned that it’s not worth it, but I still smoke pot quite often. I ask Jesus for help with my struggle but there are times when I just don’t want to help myself. Being in a state of perpetual numbness kind of works for me. It’s hard to explain. When I smoke up, I feel good, but I always end up talking to God, and when I do that when I am high, I feel guilty, like its a blasphemous thing to do. I know it sucks. I’ve tried group therapy, cutting back, quitting cold turkey, nothing seems to work because I don’t want it to. That’s why there is no spiritual journey yet, but when I get to the point where I can see my path sober, I’ll post again.
[/quote]

I know exactly how you feel. I’ve been struggling with an addiction of a different nature (I’d rather not go into details), for years and only just recently have managed to actually put a stop to it. The best thing to do is look into the reasons for quitting and remind yourself of them whenever you feel the addiction flaring up. If I were you, I would throw out anything that might tempt you to smoke and pray often for strength. Put icons and holy pictures wherever you are most often tempted and carry a rosary or someother holy object around with you. If you feel the need to buy some or smoke, pull it out and start praying.

Remember that your body is a temple of the holy spirit: a gift from God. you wouldn’t want someone taking the car you just bought them and wrecking it, would you?

I pray you can find the strength to succeed. :thumbsup:

[quote=aurora77]I can really relate to this. I had a very serious illness about a year and a half ago and it definitely changed my life. I’ve always believed in God, but was lukewarm about it–I’d go to Mass more often than not, but would skip when I felt like it. I used ABC with my husband and didn’t think much about it. How all that’s changed!! I’m now praying more, reading everything I can, going to Mass as often as possible; with work that means one, maybe two Masses during the week. I’ve gone to confession three times in last year (all since August), which is more than quite possibly the entire rest of my life. I’m certainly not going to say I’m a great person, all’s right, because I can improve, but I’m very happy to be setting out on this journey and I think I’m heading in the right direction.
[/quote]

I would most definitely say you are .:slight_smile:

[quote=John Russell Jr]I am really struggling as someone very close to me is sick and suicidal. he tried to suicide this morning. I am persevering , but i would ask prayers for him. He is a good catholic with bipolar disorder amongst other things ( manic depressive etc).
Please pray for him.
[/quote]

Your friend doesn’t want to die…just wants the pain to stop. Whether its emotional physical or spiritual. Pray unceasingly for your friend, offer masses . Pray the Lord frees your friend from the bondage that keeps him prisoner. I will pray for him too.

• also in prayer for **John Russell Jr’s ** friend *

[quote=AlanFromWichita]I do not see this as the time to scold him for not becoming perfected in all areas of sin.
[/quote]

It was actually directed at your seemingly sympathy for Carlos Casteñeda-like, pseudo-spiritual, drug-induced inebriation… :o

Sorry if I misread your post.

:blessyou:

Thanks for your prayers for my friend. Today he was examined at the hospital by many doctors, he was hospitalised, and they released him. They are going to give him much more treatment and counselling from now on.

Many thanks.

Hum???

I think mine is going backward at the speed of light. Doesn’t seem to matter what I do, no forward steps. Most resently I was told I was in a dept crisis of faith with little hope of recovering anytime soon. So for me it is a journey of darkness.

scared

[quote=scared]Hum???

I think mine is going backward at the speed of light. Doesn’t seem to matter what I do, no forward steps. Most resently I was told I was in a dept crisis of faith with little hope of recovering anytime soon. So for me it is a journey of darkness.

scared
[/quote]

Wow,

Just under two years ago, in spring 2004, I lost hope. I simply couldn’t see how anything could get better. It was the worst time of my life and it lasted several months. It finally got better, and now I hardly ever lose hope except for maybe a few minutes now and then I get irritated when plans get corrupted but I’m getting better.

Do you feel as if you are very separated from God, or from the world – as in other people? There may be a good spiritual reason you are experiencing this, as in separation and labor pains for the birth of a new creature…

I’m not trying to diagnose or offer advice, just offering a few leading questions in case you want to accept them.

Alan

Hi Alan:

You asked did I feel very seperated from God or the world as in other people. Well, I am very seperated from God as well as my own church and most of the people associated with it.

Yes, there is probably a reason for it, but it is not good. As I understand it in order to grow in spirit the orginal faith must die, as the new spirit grows. Mine has died alright, but nothing is growing. What I understand is that when this happens a crisis in faith happens, leaving the person in parell. Now you would ideally seek a spiritual director. In my case and circumstances other things must be worked out first, but in order to work them out I would need some sort of faith, so I am caught in one of those preverbial catch 22 positions. Either way I move, something bad happens. In the end months and possibly years from now I can only think something good will come of it, but for now I go backward.

scared

I heard you about Catch-22 and every option being wrong. Here’s to hoping the backward movement gets all stored up and releases in your favor.

Alan

When a woman gives birth, as the baby is to be delivered, the baby slips back and the woman gets discouraged. You can literally feel the baby going back in instead of out! How so discourgaing! But with the next push, the baby is a tad further down the road than previously even if he went forward only a wee bit. We seem to think that slip back is farther than the slip forward! And then there is light and the baby is born! Finally! After all that travaille!

Am I making any sense? This too happens within the spiritual life…

Shoshana,

Without having had that experience, I could not have said that. Thank you for making perfect sense. What you wrote fits with all Biblical prophecy and foreshadowing that I understand – just not experientially. It’s a pattern of life and its beauty can be applied sooo many places!

:amen:

Alan

Wonderfully close to the Real Presence…

Shoshana:

Sorry the birth of my children were too quick for the doc. So slipping and going back is not something that I am acquantied with.

scared.

[quote=scared]Shoshana:

Sorry the birth of my children were too quick for the doc. So slipping and going back is not something that I am acquantied with.

scared.
[/quote]

Well, I guess you were blessed with quick deliveries. Not so with a lot of women, especially their first time. That being said, it does give you a different perspective on life experiences! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.