Where are your bishops?

To all the non-denominational Christians and “I don’t have a religion, I’m just a follower of Jesus” Christians: where are your bishops?

Is your preacher/pastor considered your bishop? If so, why don’t you call him “bishop” since this is the Scriptural thing to do?

I’m not a non-denominational Christian, but if I had to guess, you might not get an answer because most of them do not believe in Bishops…actually as a former Baptist…I would have no idea what a Bishop was to begin with.

I’m under the impression that they believe that there is no difference between Presbyter and Episkopos…They do recognize Deacons, but its left in disrepair. All in all its like the rest of “non-denominational” Christianity, or well lets face it Protestantism (those not Catholic or Orthodox) completely muddled.

Bishops!?!?! You can’t very well go around looking too much like those Catholics, now, can you?:wink: The next thing, you’ll be asking them to elect a pope and what not!

Notworthy

I’m Protestant, and I have a bishop.

He lives in Nashville, is bald, and rides a Harley - but has care over 200,000 United Methodists and 1200 pastors.

O+

No OS you do not have a Bishop, you have a glorified minister you call a bishop and who isn’t.

The reason you do not have a bishop is Apostolic Succesion. To be a real bishop he has to have apostolic succesion. As I understand it Methodists make no claim to having AS. Methodist “bishops” are just higher administrative ministers, not a higher order of clergy. Their original “bishop” Asbury was “ordained” by John Wesley who was no bishop himself, only a preist.
Priests cannot ordain anyone certainly not bishops. A bishop has to be consecrated by a bishop.

I am not overly familiar with the military, but I know that a corporal cannot appoint a private to be general. Wesley “consecrating” Asbury a “bishop” follows the same principle.

[quote=boppysbud]No OS you do not have a Bishop, you have a glorified minister you call a bishop and who isn’t.

The reason you do not have a bishop is Apostolic Succesion. To be a real bishop he has to have apostolic succesion. As I understand it Methodists make no claim to having AS. Methodist “bishops” are just higher administrative ministers, not a higher order of clergy. Their original “bishop” Asbury was “ordained” by John Wesley who was no bishop himself, only a preist.
Priests cannot ordain anyone certainly not bishops. A bishop has to be consecrated by a bishop.

I am not overly familiar with the military, but I know that a corporal cannot appoint a private to be general. Wesley “consecrating” Asbury a “bishop” follows the same principle.
[/quote]

I think it the height of bigotry to refer to anyone, even a U.M. bishop, as a “glorified minister.”

Your history is incorrect: Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke (an Anglican priest) were consecrated as the first bishops, under the Alexandrian Precedent of intention (which is of course controversial). And since the Catholic Church doesn’t recognize the Church of England’s orders as valid, you ought to render your own argument moot about Wesley being only a priest. In the eyes of the Catholic Church, Anglican priests aren’t even priests, are they?

You are correct that the general superintendency is an administrative and sheperding order, and you are correct that we have no claim to apostolic succession. We do claim an apostolic tradition and intention when compared to “free” traditions.

United Methodism and E.O./Catholicism, I believe, are the only traditions where only bishops have the power to ordain AND appoint clergy to parishes. Since I am a U.M. clergyman and am appointed, not hired, you can believe that I shall call him bishop.

Whether you believe in it or not, such a person who rises to such an office in the service of Christ and the Kingdom deserves a better designation than “glorified minister.” Even if he is only a “separated brother” in your eyes.

Actually… in the military, general staff are commissioned by a board consisting of military and civilians. So that’s probably not a very good example.

And I believe the first bishop of Christendom was given the keys by a Jewish carpenter. :smiley:

O+

[quote=Genesis315]To all the non-denominational Christians and “I don’t have a religion, I’m just a follower of Jesus” Christians: where are your bishops?

Is your preacher/pastor considered your bishop? If so, why don’t you call him “bishop” since this is the Scriptural thing to do?
[/quote]

You have bishops; great! Now all you need is truth!

[quote=conrad01]You have bishops; great! Now all you need is truth!
[/quote]

I think you ment to quote Luke ;).

My Dad is a Bible Church elder.

It would be his opinion that the Catholic church got church govt. wrong. There should be elders and deacons in each assembly of christians. That’s it. The catholic translated the bible using the word Bishop, giving validity to church govt. already in place. However a better translation from the greek is Elder.

So all the qualifications and descriptions of “bishop” in your translation are seen as Elder in his (probably the New American Standard) and apply to a local congregations govt.

That’s one answer from one sect of Protestantism anyway. :slight_smile:

[quote=RonRule]My Dad is a Bible Church elder.

It would be his opinion that the Catholic church got church govt. wrong. There should be elders and deacons in each assembly of christians. That’s it. The catholic translated the bible using the word Bishop, giving validity to church govt. already in place. However a better translation from the greek is Elder.

So all the qualifications and descriptions of “bishop” in your translation are seen as Elder in his (probably the New American Standard) and apply to a local congregations govt.

That’s one answer from one sect of Protestantism anyway. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

This would be my understanding growing up as a Southern Baptist. Deacons fulfill the presbyter function and govern the church collectively.

Peace…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.