Where can Mass be said? Where can a wedding be celebrated?

I was just wondering, where is a Mass “allowed” to be celebrated? It doesn’t have to be a Catholic Church, right? Because in college we had a non-denominational chapel and Mass was celebrated there every Sunday. Also, I know Mass is celebrated on Cruise Ships. I also know of a local parish that has a Sunrise Beach Easter morning mass, but I think that they don’t do the whole Mass there, that they return to the Church for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

So it brings me to the next question, can a Catholic wedding be celebrated in any of those places? Why can’t it be celebrated in the outdoors?

Thanks!

PS Total “just curious” question, I am already happily married (in a Church!) :slight_smile:

I’ve wondered the same thing, and although I don’t have a teaching to cite, this is what logic tells me:

Mass is celebrated outdoors, on a cruise ship, etc., in the absence of a Church. At a Catholic summer camp I attended, we had outdoor mass (we had a chapel but no Church). Of course, a Church would be preferred, but in the case that there is not one, it would be better to have Mass than none at all. In the case of a wedding, especially since planning is done months ahead of time (generally speaking), there should not be an issue of necessity.

Those are my coupla pennies. :slight_smile:

(I know this doesn’t stand up when you consider the sunrise Easter Mass on the beach that you speak of, unless they only open there. For the Easter Vigil Mass, we have the bonfire outside, but the reasons for that are pretty obvious.)

[quote="StJudePray4Me, post:1, topic:228283"]
I was just wondering, where is a Mass "allowed" to be celebrated? It doesn't have to be a Catholic Church, right? Because in college we had a non-denominational chapel and Mass was celebrated there every Sunday. Also, I know Mass is celebrated on Cruise Ships. I also know of a local parish that has a Sunrise Beach Easter morning mass, but I think that they don't do the whole Mass there, that they return to the Church for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

So it brings me to the next question, can a Catholic wedding be celebrated in any of those places? Why can't it be celebrated in the outdoors?

[/quote]

Canon law is quite clear on where the sacraments are to take place: in a Catholic Church. All of these things you mention above require permission from the Ordinary (i.e., the Bishop) for a serious reason to hold Mass elsewhere. For example, no Catholic Church available (cruise ship, college campus, mission territory); large crowds (papal mass, etc); emergency (church burned down, hasn't been built yet, etc); or some other serious reason for which the Bishop approves a deviation from the law.

So these outdoor Masses are abuses? I just went to one yesterday which was held a block away from the church building which sat completely empty, while we celebrated Mass under a massive, gaudy, yellow-and-white striped tent. I was brushed off when I brought this to the pastor.

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I found this one searching.

It depends upon if the Bishop gave permission for it.

Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster recently quoted Cardinal Hume as saying "our churches are not simply buildings in which we worship the Lord, but buildings with which we worship Him."

This isn't to say that a priest can't go with a hiking party off into the wilderness and bring the elements with him in order to say Mass, or that a bishop shouldn't allow that. It does mean that the church is the natural and sensible place to have our liturgies in the absence of a compelling reason to do otherwise.

Priests and bishops who take that seriously are doing as they ought to do. Couples who try to find a way to get married in a church are, too. That isn't to say a marriage may never rightly take place anywhere except in a church, but it ought to explain why the practice is usually very much frowned upon.

Our archbishop has an annual Mass at an outdoor festival on Portland's Tom McCall Waterfront Park. That is an opportunity for Mass that he feels can't be transported back to the Cathedral, for a variety of reasons.

[quote="1ke, post:3, topic:228283"]
Canon law is quite clear on where the sacraments are to take place: in a Catholic Church. All of these things you mention above require permission from the Ordinary (i.e., the Bishop) for a serious reason to hold Mass elsewhere. For example, no Catholic Church available (cruise ship, college campus, mission territory); large crowds (papal mass, etc); emergency (church burned down, hasn't been built yet, etc); or some other serious reason for which the Bishop approves a deviation from the law.

[/quote]

Don't tell the priests in Hawaii where Catholic masses were said on the beach in Waikiki.

Hello people, please read what I actually wrote.

(a) this thread is over a year old, and you should start a new thread.

(b) I clearly stated that the Ordinary (i.e. the bishop) can give permission for Mass, weddings, or other sacraments to be held elsewhere.

© We cannot speculate on the examples given because we do not have access to the information that is most pertinent: whether or not the bishop gave permission.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.