Where can we learn?

My best friend and I are fairly new Catholics. We are in RCIA classes, and have had three so far. We are both well studied in religion, especially Christianity. So, while we very much enjoy our rcia classes, they have been incredibly basic so far. We do get some good discussion time too, though, and we really like the teachers. I am currently reading the Catechism of the Catholic church, as well as a book which one of the rcia teachers lent me called, “theology and sanity.”

However, we try to attend mass three times a week, and sometimes we get lost when it comes to the things that the whole congregation says. We mostly have figured out how to find the readings used in the weekday masses (in the liturgy of hours or whatever book is being used.) We have even memorized the Apostles creed, a few key prayers, and most of the things said regularly in mass. Yet, there are times when something entirely new is thrown at us. We know that we should also learn the Nicene creed, but where can we learn the other norms of mass? Sometimes we feel that we are the only ones who don’t know something entirely new to us when it comes up in mass. I do also have a couple of good Catholic aps on my phone. I would have more, but my phone is cheap and doesn’t have a lot of memory.

Thank you so much for any assistance.

Have you discussed this with your RCIA teachers? Sometimes words are slightly different between two catholic churches and you need to seek out someone within that church

I think you would find a subscription to Magnificat helpful. It contains the daily Mass readings and prayers, information on the saints, beautiful art work, and, in the center portion of each issue is the order of the Mass. It’s not cheap ($45/year), but I’ve found it to be a valuable resource for learning and doing the faith.

Yes, Magnificat is good, and you could also buy a daily missal, but many parishes have a plastic or cardboard sheet in the pews to help you with parts of the Mass. Check to see if you can get one from the office if it’s not in the pews. May God bless you as you learn more about the faith.

Daily Mass Readings:

usccb.org/bible/readings/122914.cfm

G

Agree. This is something to bring up to your RCIA instructors. This is why you are taking the courses; to learn & have your questions answered correctly.

I use Laudute on my phone to follow along with the readings and responsorial psalm during Mass.

Using the Magnificant is an excellent suggestion. If you can’t afford an annual subscription you can purchase individual copies for around $4 at your local Catholic bookstore. You may also check with your parish to see if they have any copies to give away.

iBreviary is another good app which contains the daily Mass readings and responses.

I think some of what the OP is experiencing is due to the calendar at this time of year.

For example, we don’t say the Gloria during advent but begin saying it again on Christmas. To further confuse things, we say the Gloria on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception if it is transferred to Sunday in a particular diocese.

As others have said, Magnificat is good.

A highly condensed “order of Mass” is at catholic-pe.co.za/newmass.pdf

A good missal like the ones from MTF are a tremendous help. theologicalforum.org/ProductInformation.aspx?BrowseBy=Category&CategoryId=112&ProductId=443

-Tim-

Yep, that could likely be the case.

For example, we don’t say the Gloria during advent but begin saying it again on Christmas. To further confuse things, we say the Gloria on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception if it is transferred to Sunday in a particular diocese.

We pray the Gloria on the Solemnity of the Immacuate Conception (and the Creed) regardless whether it’s transferred to Sunday or not… :wink:

Thank you all for the kind replies. I very much appreciate the information you shared. I do have laudate on my phone. It is a big help in a lot of ways, though I am still exploring everything it has. I will probably subscribe to that recommended magazine after I get my current housing crisis settled (which is going to take a lot of prayer and miracles. ) I look forward to rcia classes restarting next week. My rcia teachers also referred me to here because I have a million questions and they don’t have all of the answers, but I haven’t asked any really big questions here yet because I have trouble figuring out in which forum or sub-forum they belong.

You could just find someone knowledgeable about the Mass and introduce yourself. Ask around. I’m sure someone will be able to point you to a person who knows the Mass well.

Ask if you can sit next to them at Mass and if they would be willing to help you with the pew missal and allow you to ask questions after.

The worst that can happen is that you make some new friends.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.