Where did Easter originate?

Hello,
My question is what does Easter mean and when did it originate?

I am new to this but here it goes; I am a cradle catholic, proud to be catholic, attend Sunday and obligatory mass, but I am still a learning Catholic. On Easter Sunday I attended an Easter function that a family member was having and my sister whom is separated from the catholic faith responded to my “Happy Easter” greeting as follows. “What are you talking about? It is Happy Resurrection Day”; and she went on to say that the word Easter was made up by “some man in Rome” and that it did not come from God. I mentioned to her that to me Easter was the celebration of our Lord’s resurrection but she would have none of that. I did not persist on this conversation, as I do not like arguing with someone who has closed her mind to anything that has to do with Catholicism. I just need to know what Easter means and where it came from so I can be better prepared for next time; FYI most of my family have separated to other cults and every time I try to explain my faith they always quote the bible, and so am always under attack. This does not keep me from loving them and/or tolerating their attacks, I only continue praying and asking Mother Mary for her help.

Thank you in advance for your response. May God Bless you and this organization.

This link should give you the answer you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this link, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]Are Catholic holidays pagan?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.