Where did Jesus' Y chromosome come from?

I think I have read somewhere that all of Jesus’ genetic material came from Mary. If this is the case, then where did Jesus’ Y chromosome come from? (Women don’t have any Y chromosomes). The thing is, it’s not a case of the Spirit miraculously changing 1 link in a strand of DNA to make an X into a Y. Y is completely different to an X, if the Spirit was changing one of His genes into a Y chromosome then the Spirit would basically have had to build that gene from scratch, which goes against the idea that all of Jesus’ genetic material came from Mary. Jesus was a male for sure… so I don’t know how to explain this.

Anyone got an explanation?

It is more accurate to say that Jesus got all his genetic material from God, as did Adam and Eve. If God can make wheat without seed, I suppose he can make man without seed too.

Hi Flopfoot,

so I don’t know how to explain this.

You don’t have to explain it. It is a miracle.

Verbum

[quote=Verbum]Hi Flopfoot,

so I don’t know how to explain this.

You don’t have to explain it. It is a miracle.

Verbum
[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Grapes! LOL!–nicolo

[quote=Flopfoot]Anyone got an explanation?
[/quote]

I’m quite sure God could handle it no matter what, but my understanding that the Y chromosome is equivalent to a piece of the X chromosome. In other words, going from Y to X requires the addition of genetic material, but going from X to Y only requires the removal of genetic material.

And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. (KJV) Matt 3:9

-D

The thing is, it’s not a case of the Spirit miraculously changing 1 link in a strand of DNA to make an X into a Y. Y is completely different to an X, if the Spirit was changing one of His genes into a Y chromosome then the Spirit would basically have had to build that gene from scratch, which goes against the idea that all of Jesus’ genetic material came from Mary. Jesus was a male for sure… so I don’t know how to explain this.

The Spirit would have to “build it from scratch” I suppose, but could build it out of base-pairs that came from Mary. The chemicals necessary for making a y-chromosome were in Mary’s body, so all Jesus’s human nature would still have come from Mary.

A signifigant ammount of “rearranging” was surely done regarding the second half of Christ’s DNA. The first half was in some egg of Mary’s, but the second half could be “built” by the Spirit from any base-pairs and chemicals available in Mary’s body.

I guess that coming up with a Y chromosome is not really any more remarkable than the fact of the virgin birth itself.

These comments make it sound like Jesus was a test tube baby.:bigyikes:

Arguments mixing religion and science will only make religion look bad. :tsktsk:

• Kathie :bowdown:

[quote=harinkj]Arguments mixing religion and science will only make religion look bad. :tsktsk:

[/quote]

I could not disagree more.

God created both science and religion, and both seek the truth. Truth does not contradict truth.

Of course, you have to be careful when seeking the truth to be certain you’re actually getting the truth. That is the case whether the subject is science or religion.

[quote=harinkj]These comments make it sound like Jesus was a test tube baby.:bigyikes:

Arguments mixing religion and science will only make religion look bad. :tsktsk:

[/quote]

I don’t agree, infact I think that this is a pretty interesting discussion. WHy do you think that mixing religion and science will make religion look bad?

Nothing is too difficult for God to do.
Love, Jaypeeto4

The fact is, though, it’s not something we can decide, because God didn’t think it particularly important for us to know how he made Jesus’ Y chromosome. Otherwise, he would have told us!

[quote=deb1]I don’t agree, infact I think that this is a pretty interesting discussion. WHy do you think that mixing religion and science will make religion look bad?
[/quote]

Because too many people do not follow the Church’s teachings and try to prove that a very literal interpretation of the Bible is true and science is wrong.

I’ve heard an interesting argument on this, so I’ll put it here, but that doesn’t imply I believe it infallible.

Jesus didn’t have a Y chromosome. He was an XX, a direct genetic clone of Mary. My vague understanding is that science has found that being male dones’t necessarily imply having a Y chromsome. You are a male due to some kind of testosterone gene activating. Both males and females have that gene. The Y chromosome is what ordinariliy causes it to activate, however, environmental factors can cause it to irregularly activate without a Y chromosome, resulting in a male.

Not saying that’s true or accurate, just sharing what I’ve heard before.
Josh

Well, that IS interesting. . .

[quote=harinkj]Because too many people do not follow the Church’s teachings and try to prove that a very literal interpretation of the Bible is true and science is wrong.

[/quote]

Wouldn’t that be even more reason for us to discuss this?:hmmm:

[quote=deb1]Wouldn’t that be even more reason for us to discuss this?:hmmm:
[/quote]

:clapping: Sounds good to me. :clapping:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.