Where did these come from?

Hi good folk at CA!

Two issues popped up recently that just ruffles my feathers a bit...

1. The choir sings the Lamb of God like a filler for the time it takes the Priest to portion the wafers for the extraordinary ministers of communion. So instead of singing it 3 times, they've gone on for 4 or sometimes 5 times before they end it "Grant us peace" ... "Have mercy on us" goes on till the choir mistress thinks the Priest is ready to give out communion.

Something's off here ... what exactly?

1. The sign of the cross. Is it forehead, chest, shoulder to shoulder OR forehead to stomach, shoulder to shoulder?

Sources, please. Thanks.

1. From the General Instruction of the Roman Missal:

The Fraction of the Bread

1. The Priest breaks the Eucharistic Bread, with the assistance, if the case requires, of the Deacon or a concelebrant. The gesture of breaking bread done by Christ at the Last Supper, which in apostolic times gave the entire Eucharistic Action its name, signifies that the many faithful are made one body (1 Cor 10:17) by receiving Communion from the one Bread of Life, which is Christ, who for the salvation of the world died and rose again. The fraction or breaking of bread is begun after the sign of peace and is carried out with proper reverence, and should not be unnecessarily prolonged or accorded exaggerated importance. This rite is reserved to the Priest and the Deacon.

The Priest breaks the Bread and puts a piece of the host into the chalice to signify the unity of the Body and Blood of the Lord in the work of salvation, namely, of the Body of Jesus Christ, living and glorious. The supplication Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) is usually sung by the choir or cantor with the congregation replying; or at least recited aloud. This invocation accompanies the fraction of the bread and, for this reason,** may be repeated as many times as necessary until the rite has been completed**. The final time it concludes with the words grant us peace.

1. Traditions differ as to which fingers to use and which shoulders to touch in which order but generally it's touching the chest (heart) not the stomach or abdomen. Sorry, couldn't find a magisterial document for you. Forehead, chest, shoulders.

As for the Sign of the Cross, there was a very funny line in a movie with Eric Idle of Monty Python fame, and another actor, in which they had to pose as Cathlics in a shelter run by Sisters of Charity while hiding from mobsters. The other guy did not know the Sign of the Cross, so Eric instructed him: with your right hand, point as following--spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch. (Hopefully, I will not be moderated for that, but it was Really Funny!!). In the Othodox Church, we go to watch first, then wallet....

During a pilgrimage to Lourdes I was told that Our Lady showed St. Bernadette how to make the sign of the cross: slowly and prayerfully touching the top of her forehead, then her waist, then the outside of her left shoulder, and then the outside of the right shoulder. It is said that folks could always identify Bernadette just by the way she made the Sign of the Cross

[quote="Ruprecht, post:3, topic:341098"]
As for the Sign of the Cross, there was a very funny line in a movie with Eric Idle of Monty Python fame, and another actor, in which they had to pose as Cathlics in a shelter run by Sisters of Charity while hiding from mobsters. The other guy did not know the Sign of the Cross, so Eric instructed him: with your right hand, point as following--spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch. (Hopefully, I will not be moderated for that, but it was Really Funny!!). In the Othodox Church, we go to watch first, then wallet....

[/quote]

I'm Roman Rite, but I go watch first and then wallet, but that's because I wear a watch on my left and my wallet in my right pocket! :cool:

[quote="dunkin, post:4, topic:341098"]
During a pilgrimage to Lourdes I was told that Our Lady showed St. Bernadette how to make the sign of the cross: slowly and prayerfully touching the top of her forehead, then her waist, then the outside of her left shoulder, and then the outside of the right shoulder. It is said that folks could always identify Bernadette just by the way she made the Sign of the Cross

[/quote]

Pax Christi!

Cool! That's the way I'll do it from now on.

Wait a minute...

Bernadette had to be shown how to make the Sign of the Cross? But I thought she had a Rosary on her person when she first saw our Lady!

Whatever.

God bless...

[quote="svid2, post:6, topic:341098"]
Pax Christi!

Cool! That's the way I'll do it from now on.

Wait a minute...

Bernadette had to be shown how to make the Sign of the Cross? But I thought she had a Rosary on her person when she first saw our Lady!

Whatever.

God bless...

[/quote]

Prehaps, being a teenager, she had become sloppy in her habits and wasn't showing the respect the Sign of the Cross deserves.

Thanks! You guys have been helpful. I guess the forehead, waist sign is from St Bernadette ... I'll stick with the forehead chest.

Yes, I remember the spectacles testicles skit. Brit humour ... meh.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.