Where do I stand

Hello all. I am just curious about what the church says about my present state. I was baptized as an infant and received my first communion. I stopped going to mass thirty years ago. In those 30 years, I have obviously sinned, so I will be going to confession real soon with a long list.
I got married outside of the church and my wife is not Catholic so either are my children. I am not even sure the marriage will last so that is up in the air. My children are not baptized and not very open to the idea of it. They are 12 and 19 years old. I all of a sudden feel a lot of pressure to make things right with myself and also my children
I have recently joined a parish which I am going to alone. I will be starting RCIA soon. I suppose there will be people who can help me with these issues but I just wanted to ask here first to get a feel for what to expect. So, my question is, what are the step I should take to get right with the church. My heart is already with Christ, now I just want to do what is expected of me. I was protestant (non-denominational) for years and they don’t have to think about this much!
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jim

You are doing what you need to do to come back to the Church. Confession is most important! Secondly, RCIA will help you “catch up” with all that you don’t know.

One of the first things I would do is to talk to a priest to see if you are in a valid marriage, and if not, what you need to do to rectify that, if you wish to do so. If you are not in a valid marriage, you cannot have marital relations with your wife and receive communion.

Invite your wife and invite your kids to mass and RCIA and to read and pray with you. Be very open about all of your steps and feelings. Marriages often end over conversions so tread lightly.

Thanks, I was wondering about that.

The best way to start would be to make an appointment with a priest for a chat about your marriage situation and he can also hear your confession. He will be able to give you advice and maybe help you sign up for RCIA. Welcome (back) Home! We missed you. :grouphug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.