Where do teachers have authority?

Does a teacher have authority over students outside of his/her classroom and on matters regarding non academic things?

Not usually. Sometimes the teachers are responsible for enforcing school policies, though. For example, a teacher might have authority to approve or not a volunteer commitment that is required by the school for service hours. Do you have a specific instance in mind?

I am a retired teacher and I would have to say that teachers have responsibilties for their students that extend beyond academics and the classroom. Here is an example to consider. A few years ago a teacher was following a bus with students from their school. A student stood in the back of the bus, not realizing who was in the car behind, and pulled their pants down to “moon” out the window. The student was reported and disciplined. Another, a student emails a teacher that there is an underage drinking party in progress and the teacher reports this to the principal who takes action. I could go on with more but if you have a specific issue I could prbably answer you better.

This is much to vague to answer. Did you have something specific in mind?

First of all, the authority a teacher has is largely a cultural thing. In some parts of the world they are expected to be “in charge” beyond the classroom, while in other parts or the world it is considered “none of their business” to do so.

In my teenage years I have lived in different parts of the world, and personally experienced the above.

Personally I do not believe, that a teacher should have authority over anyone. God, the family and the law has authority. No one else should interfere with such things.

When I send my children to school, I expect teachers to have total authority.

The reason I send my children to school is for them to learn. If another child is disturbing the academic atmosphere of the class and distracting my children, I want the teacher to have the authority to eject that child.

Likewise, on the school campus, I expect any teacher to have the authority to provide a safe and nurturing climate for my children.

I agree with this, as you mention it inside of a school environment, however the original question is asking about the “outside of the classroom and non-academic things” this could mean many different things, now if this covers anything outside the school, then the teachers would be out of line.

Not necessarily. Think of it as an off duty policeman or a paramedic.

As a rule of thumb (with a whole lot of caveats based on the world in which we actually live), adults have authority over children. So, yes, teachers can reasonable be said to have authority over their students outside of the academic realm.

In then absence of parents, all adults have lawful authority over children.

The operative word is “lawful”.

They do not have unlawful authority over children.

Teachers are entrusted by parents to have lawful authority over their children.

If a teacher exercise questionable authority, the parents may interfere, as for example when children are required to read a certain book that parents strongly object to because it’s content goes against the religious or moral scruples of the parents who are the primary guardians of welfare of their own children.

OP here. The specific instance I had in mind was of a teacher telling her class that there was to be no public displays of affection. Does this order bind me or other students on sin outside of the classroom?

If it is anything that could harm herself or hisself, or others, mentally or physically, then yes, by all means teachers should have the right to authority. Especially small children, since they are still growing and there is still hope that decency can be instilled into them. I’ve heard horror stories of what goes on in the junior high and high schools. Unless it’s just my town.:frowning:

At school and school sponsored activities, your teacher has authority over you. Not just “in the classroom”. I am sure that “public displays of affection” are against school rules pretty much universally.

Outside of school and school activities, your parents have authority over you.

Perhaps you should discuss this with your parents, it sounds like maybe you are having trouble distinguishing when something is a sin. That is something to discuss with your parents or your pastor.

Well, hugging and kissing ought to be disallowed in a school setting. I think all parents should go for that. What grade level are we talking?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.