Where do unbaptized babies who die in infancy go when they die?

This is a question that has been bothering me for awhile.

I have seen a lot of people claiming that, because unbaptized babies have not been cleansed of original sin, they can not enter the kingdom of heaven.

This bothers me because it flies in the face of justice and mercy: a baby has NO control over whether or not it is baptized and the idea of even a single person going to Hell for something they could neither control nor know about is makes me sick to my core.

I know the church teaches that a sin can only keep someone out of Heaven if it is mortal, and that a sin can only be mortal is if Grave Matters, Deliberate Consent, and Full Knowledge are involved. Original Sin lacks the second and arguably the third one, yet many people both on this thread and elsewhere claim they are kept out of Heaven. Some even claim that unbaptized babies spend eternity burning in hellfire, though most claim they are in something called “limbo” (I don’t care what anyone says - dying and spending eternity in a non-heaven to me seems as bad as spending eternity in Hell).

Please provide an answer. The idea of the universe being created and ruled by a cruel entity would make reality a nightmare. Please help, as this question has caused me much distress.

The following link should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on what happens to babies who die before they are able to be baptized. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]If a baby dies before it’s born what happens?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.