Where Do You Begin?

I am blessed with some step children and others in my life who have not been baptized but who seem to be coming to a “threshold of discussion” about God, religion, and my Catholic faith. I have prepared myself with knowledge, prayer, and a humble heart for the opportunity to share the love of God. I keep thinking that there is something I can give them to open their eyes, to start interest.

Is there anything any of you can suggest that might be a good basic place to start. We’re talking about people in the mid-20’s. The little ones are easy to start with :slight_smile:

I know this is in the hands of the Holy Spirit, and I must be patient, but I’m searching for a tool or approach that might help this along.

ANY ideas are appreciated

For starters, why not offer to take them to mass? Mass is the best introduction to the Catholic faith.

I can see where it would certainly raise alot of questions and I’ll put it on the list. Before we go we could talk about what the mass is and why and that might be great openner. Thanks.

You may want to see if and when the RCIA program starts in your Parish. It’s a great program for those who are interested in knowing what the church teaches, even if they are not ready to convert. The decision to convert often happens during the course of participating in the program and learning what the faith actually teaches.

In the meantime, during your conversations with your friends and family, I suggest you do your best to pray while you are conversing. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in each of your words so that they might touch the heart of the person you are with. The specific book, pamphlet, prayer, Saint could very well be different for each person you encounter, and through prayerful listening, you will be best able to discern their needs.

Good luck and God Bless,

CARose

It depends on their ages. The best way to share the faith with children is by simple stories and pictures. You may take them to mass, which is O.K, but they can’t grasp the big picture of it all. But Catholic picture books with stories CAN. There are also flash cards for kids on the web to purchase, which explain about the faith as well. The key is “keep it simple” and DON’T smother them with it.

Also EXAMPLE is a good teacher. Cross yourself at every meal and say a short prayer, so kids can pick it up. Someday you can ask them, "Would you like to say grace for dinner? They will proudly volunteer. Also take them out on a starry, clear night and show them the moon and the constellations. Tell them there are so many, we can count them all and yet God knows each one by name. This brings in the story of creation.

There are many ways to reach children, but remember, keep it simple.

[quote=janman55]I am blessed with some step children and others in my life who have not been baptized but who seem to be coming to a “threshold of discussion” about God, religion, and my Catholic faith. I have prepared myself with knowledge, prayer, and a humble heart for the opportunity to share the love of God. I keep thinking that there is something I can give them to open their eyes, to start interest.

Is there anything any of you can suggest that might be a good basic place to start. We’re talking about people in the mid-20’s. The little ones are easy to start with :slight_smile:

I know this is in the hands of the Holy Spirit, and I must be patient, but I’m searching for a tool or approach that might help this along.

ANY ideas are appreciated
[/quote]

First of all, congratulations. You have been given such a wonderful gift - and I speak of the opportunity to share your faith.

When this opportunity was presented to me (in much the same way you are experiencing it) I prepared myself by reaquainting myself with the Catechism. Lots of prayer. Lot of requests for help from the Holy Spirit, to keep out my ego and to let the truth of the Word be heard and not 'what Leslie thinks".
You don’t mention how old your step children are? There is really great age appropriate stuff on this website and OSV website that may help.
I found that by putting myself at the disposal of the Holy Spirit and by being willing to say “I don’t know, let’s find out together” I have at least been able to correct some thoughts and misconceptions about our wonderful CHURCH…good luck, sweetie and I am so glad you are doing this!

I just came across this and it may be of interest.

http://shop.catholic.com/online-store/scstore/p-E51900CD.html

[size=2]http://shop.catholic.com/online-store/scstore/p-E51900T.html

[/size]They are CD’s and Tapes by Marcus Grodi, “On the Road to Conversion”.

They’re currently on sale through Catholic Answers.

Perhaps they’ll help.

And most importantly, pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance while you talk with them. In this way you’ll be best able to answer their questions.

Good luck and God Bless,

CARose

I am more comfortable defending and explaining our faith than ever before in my life. I think I’m on the right track with the little ones (grandkids). They are so open. I’m definitely covering the prayer, and living the faith to my very best.

The advice you’re giving me is very helpful. I think the issue of patience is my difficulty. I think I fall into the trap of thinking I can “make” this happen

( To anyone who hasn’t approached this type of situation before the increased awareness of the example you set makes you a much better witness to all you come into contact with)

Ah, the “I can make it happen” trap, I know it well! :slight_smile:

It’s extremely important to remember that while we can be used as a channel of grace for the Holy Spirit, it is only, ONLY, through the grace of the Holy Spirit that one is converted, not by us. And when the Holy Spirit imparts that grace, and when they are ready to receive and accept that grace is out of our control completely! Only God knows when someone is ready for conversion of the heart.

Good luck with being a conduit of grace, it feels good when it works out though, doesn’t it! :slight_smile:

God Bless,

CARose

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.