Where do you sit at church?

I’m curious why people sit where they sit in church and why.

I would enjoy hearing where you sit and why. :wink:

I sit five to ten rows from the front and to the right of the center isle. I can only guess that I sit on the right because I’m right handed and, as a recent graduate of RCIA, we sat to the right of the main isle. I sit so close to the front because I am an EMHC almost every Sunday and don’t want to have to run the length of the church at communion time.

About 1/3 of the way back. Of couse the church only has 18 rows. If I go to a larger church, usuallu about half way back.

PF

well, this is nothing to enjoy… i sit in the back for health reasons. I’s sooner sit closer to the front, but my health prevents me from doing so. :frowning:

Also, at the parish I go to, I usually set on the left side since that is the side where the priest stands for communion. At lost other churches, I sit on the right side since that is usually where the priest stands.

PF

Interesting, at my parish, the priest stands front and center with the EMHC’s to the sides.

I mean on the center lines. In my parish there is only 1 aisle. (It only holda about 300 people). Theres is two lines for communion.

PF

I like sitting up closer (partly so I can hear better), but my mom likes sitting in the back or 2/3rd back, so we compremise to the middle. If my dad ever goes to a church - which is rare now (family event or something), it’s always the very last row. Our church has 2 sides to sit on, and we usually sit right-center.

I never sit absolute front but I try to sit pretty close. Especially at daily Mass, where if it’s a small congregation they won’t even bother using microphones or anything. Better vision and fewer distractions too.

I have progressed from the back to the front.

The back is near the one and only door (there is an escape hatch as well) which is crowded with late arrivals, mums and dads with babes in arms, the rattling of clodhoppers bounding up and down the choir gallery.

The front…I can be aware of the noise but it is way less distracting. Very few whisperers at the front too.:thumbsup: except for the noise of the rosary beads and creaking knees!

We sit as closer as possible off to one side. We sit close so that our kids can see what is going on instead of seeing peoples back. If they can see they are much better behaved because they don’t get bored.

We usually sit closer to the front, a few pews back. That way the kids can see better and don’t get so distracted. Keeps 'em quieter! And usually on the right, so we’re on the side where the priest gives communion, not the emhc. And on the aisle, so if we have to leave with the baby, we can get out easier and not step on people.

Our parish is the largest parish in MN. It has 6 pew sections plus a crying room. We usually sit in the section to the right of the center aisle but on the aisle between that one and the next one to the right. We sit in that section because our priest usually serves that section with the Eucharist. For health reasons, we sit in the back portion of the section but far enough forward to avoid having to receive communion from the EMHC in the back of the church. Complicated, isn’t it? :stuck_out_tongue:

Since the town’s Mass schedules changed, every Sunday is like Easter for us. Standing room only, people spilling out onto the front steps at times!

Because we have to make a fast escape to set up for CCD, we sit in the “overflow seats” - stacking chairs that are against the wall on the outside isles. We are not trapped/squished in the middle of a pew (I get very clausterphobic), and we have access to the isle. We take overflow seats on the right rear side.

I bring in a small stepstool as my own makeshift kneeler, DH and DS are tough and kneel on the floor.

If we did not have the overcrowding issue, I like to be right up front!

Explore Paulus Hendra

See the X mark? That’s where I usually sit. It’s actually below the speaker, because I record the homily/readings most of the time.

Not to hijack - but - where is the cross? I’ve seen a cross without the corpus, but never a floating corpus with no cross :eek:

As an RCIA Canddidate (although I am being treated as a pre-Catechuman), I sit at the back. In fact, I’m sure the RCIA facilitators would be appaled that I am there at all. :eek: The Rite of Acceptence isn’t until 5 November.

I make it a habit to arrive at 8:45 AM. The next mass is at 9:15 AM. This gives me 30 minutes to pray the rosary for the Church Suffering. :gopray: The Mass starts, and I stay until the start of the Eucherist, after the Homily

Actually, before RCIA classes started, I would stay the whole mass, just standing and praying for The Church Suffering while the congregation took bread and/or wine.:gopray2:

Nowadays my RCIA classes start at 10:30 AM, so I leave just as the Eucherist starts, and THAT is why I am at the back, to cause as little disturbence as possible when I leave,:o

Once confirmed, I’ll sit at the very front, due to hearing and eyesight problems.:thumbsup:

Why does your Church have Spiderman hovering over the Altar??

I sit right up close, front row, far off to the right. This places me right in front of the tabernacle where I’m constantly reminded Who I’m there to see.

vince2paul, that is the most unique church I’ve ever seen! I’m guessing a part of it is because it’s in Singapore?

It’s a bit odd seeing a corpus suspended in air without a cross behind it :hmmm:

I sit left and center, near the door to the ladies room and an exit. I sit there because if I sit in the back, there are squalling kids and I can’t think to pray. I sit near the bathroom and door because my bipolar daughter can’t stand crowds. She freaks out in church and sometimes has to leave for awhile in the middle of mass. And sometimes she can’t breathe from her asthma and has to go outside to get away from the perfumes or incense. I don’t like to sit in the front row because in that row the kneeler is about a foot from the rail in front of you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.