Where does it say in the Bible that

My daughter has a college class, they are talking about Poligamy. She has to show where in the Bible it says it is wrong, and where in the Bible it says a man must have only one wife. I tried to tell her about a few verses in Matt. But the College Prof. isn't looking for a reason on why a man can or can't be a Decon.

I also mentioned the Ten Commandments; but the teacher says, if people are living as Poligamist, then it's not Adultry. (I strongly disagree with the Teacher.)

Can anyone help me, help her? Verses would be very helpful.

Thanks!

I'd like to see that, too. I'm not in any class, but I've been looking for marriage, or more accurately, the marriage CEREMONY is mentioned in the bible. :shrug:

I'm curios about the ceremony since it seems that most weddings for as long as I can remember has used mostly the same words. Is any of that scriptural? :confused:

(My guess on your question is more likely the answer is found in tradition, but I don't know :blush:)

Genesis 1:27
So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

Matthew 19
3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’[a] 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

7 “Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”

8 Jesus replied, “**Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. **But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

John 2:1

Jesus Changes Water Into Wine ] On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there,

The Bible does not provide details of the ceremony of the wedding in Cana but, we see in the Catholic ceremony an integration of Catholic faith The part until death do us part is Biblical:

Matthew 22:30
At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven..

Hope this helps,:)

Abba

Adelore:Genisis-In the beginning He made them male and female for this reason a man leaves his parents and clings to his wife and they become one flesh.One man and two women cant become one flesh.Neither can 1 man and 3 women become one flesh.

I'd reorient this professor to a larger question - where in the Bible is polygamy allowed. There are instances of multiple sex partners, but this is through concubinage, not marriage. And concubinage seems to disappear following Daniel's time - obviously some societies still practiced (and do practice) it, but from Genesis when it was accepted though not commented, thought towards concubines changed so that the sole mention we have of it by Daniel's time is affilliated with pagan sex practices or disdained as an excess of the king.

I suspect this has more to do with the time in which these books were written. The Bible has a historical component and we cannot take it outside of that context without running the risk of misinterpreting it. I would suspect that extrabiblical sources had already loudly condemned the practice, and we see exhortations against polygamy among the Early Christian Fathers, who addressed their concerns against prevailing Roman society.

Similarly, try to find a specific passage that condemns premarital sex. We cannot find a specific condemnation thereof, nor can we find a place where it would comfortably be allowed. Deduction of principles brings us to the conclusion that it is verboten.

wow, I just typed polygamy biblical, and the first three links support it! to be fair, the third one was muslim, but had the absurd title "Jesus allowed polygamy". oh brother.

The professor poorly understands of his question however he will find his best answer in 1 Corinthians 7:

“1 Corinthians
Chapter 7
Now in regard to the matters about which you wrote: "It is a good thing for a man not to touch a woman," but because of cases of immorality **every man should have his own wife, and every woman her own husband.
* The husband should fulfill his duty toward his wife, and likewise the wife toward her husband. A wife does not have authority over her own body, but rather her husband, and similarly a husband does not have authority over his own body, but rather his wife. Do not deprive each other, except perhaps by mutual consent for a time, to be free for prayer, but then return to one another, so that Satan may not tempt you through your lack of self-control.”*
To understand the issue one must read why multiples exist in the Bible :

• Genesis 38:8 8Then Judah said to Onan, "(G)Go in to your brother's wife, and perform your duty as a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother."

Book of Ruth Ch 4 ” I also take Ruth the Moabite, the widow of Mahlon, as my wife, in order to raise up a family for her late husband on his estate, so that the name of the departed may not perish among his kinsmen and fellow citizens. Do you witness this today?" *

In fact the entire Book Of Ruth is under 5 pages to include its forward and would greatly increase the professors knowledge should he read it. In summary the Patriarch inherits the family wealth and responsibility which requires him to provide fully for the widows, thus he must marry these women and accept them as full wives verses second class people within their families.

[quote="losh14, post:5, topic:232948"]
I'd reorient this professor to a larger question - where in the Bible is polygamy allowed. There are instances of multiple sex partners, but this is through concubinage, not marriage.

[/quote]

Not true. The patriarch Jacob (Israel) was married to two sisters, Leah and Rachel, at one and the same time, although admittedly he married Leah seven years before he married Rachel. They were both his wives, not concubines (although he had concubines as well).

David and Solomon also had multiple wives, not just sex partners, although again both sinned against chastity in this regard as well.

I'm not saying this is proof that God approves of polygamy - after all, scripture speaks of Abraham's lies, Moses' murder, David's adultery and Jeptha's sacrifice of his daughter, while not approving of these deeds.

Jesus' own words in Mark 10:

But from the beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female.’ ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh.

Notice: He reaches all the way back to the Original Design (so it's not merely "cultural," as the "Progressives" like to argue), and He says "wife," not "wives."

Edit: (Ooops, while I was pondering how to answer, and looking up my verses, and then composing my reply, a whole bunch of people beat me to it. :shrug:)

2nd Edit: Roofer, outstanding verse, that one in Cor. 7! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="LilyM, post:8, topic:232948"]
The patriarch Jacob (Israel) was married to two sisters, Leah and Rachel, at one and the same time, although admittedly he married Leah seven years before he married Rachel. They were both his wives, not concubines (although he had concubines as well).

[/quote]

Oh I forgot about Jacob. That's a good catch. What you argue next points to a progressive understanding of revelation through the OT that indicates that even where polygamy was tolerated early on, it was not later:

[quote="LilyM, post:8, topic:232948"]

David and Solomon also had multiple wives, not just sex partners, although again both sinned against chastity in this regard as well.

[/quote]

Perhaps reference to the patristics or to the Talmud - some suitable commentary where a direct question is asked and a direct answer given - would be helpful.

It is important to remember that Hebrew story telling doesn't always come right out and say things, it shows us. Hebrew story telling in the old testament shows us that polygamy and concubinage is not part of God's plan. Take for instance when Abraham has a child with Hagar. He used her as a concubine, which was an Egyptian practice. Since Abraham behaved like an Egyptian, God treated him like an Egyptian and enlisted circumcision (an Egyptian practice) as a sign of the covenant. The punishment fit the crime. Abraham was not trusting in God's promise of an heir, so he took matters into his own hands, and the story shows us this is not what God wanted. We continue to see this demonstrated throughout the scriptures. Jacob's wives Leah and Rachel were jealous of each other. Rachel had his love, but Leah had his children. This envy went both ways. Then, when Rachel finally had children (Joseph and Benjamin), you can see who Jacob loved more by their positions within the caravan as they traveled. He kept Joseph, Benjamin, and Rachel closest to him. This caused envy amongst the other brothers, and slowly they grew to despise Joseph, which eventually led them to sell him into slavery. The turmoil continues with David and Solomon, and we see various examples of sibling rivalry. We must also remember that Deuteronomy 17:17 prohibited the kings from multiplying wives for themselves, so David and Solomon should not be used as proof that God allowed polygamy. That's about as far as I've made it into my studies, but our teacher emphasizes that the Bible often shows rather than tells. I skipped over the evidence from Genesis that other people posted, which is equally relevant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.