Where Does It Say Jesus Could Do No Miracles?

In the Gospels it says that Jesus could do no miracles in His hometown because of the people's unbelief, but I be dogged if I can find it! HELP!!!:shrug:

Mark Chapter 6:

He departed from there and came to his native place, accompanied by his disciples.

When the sabbath came he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astonished. They said, “Where did this man get all this? What kind of wisdom has been given him? What mighty deeds are wrought by his hands!

Is he not the carpenter,* the son of Mary, and the brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him.

Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his native place and among his own kin and in his own house.”

So he was not able to perform any mighty deed there, apart from curing a few sick people by laying his hands on them.

He was amazed at their lack of faith.

Also see Luke 4: “No prophet is accepted in the prophet’s hometown.”

It doesn't mean that he wasn't ABLE to do miracles, but rather, that he was not accepted as a prophet, and therefore could do no miracles in the HEARTS of those he spoke to.

Thank you for your response. That is, indeed, the passage I was looking for! :thumbsup:

Barry

[quote="dshix, post:3, topic:321773"]
It doesn't mean that he wasn't ABLE to do miracles, but rather, that he was not accepted as a prophet, and therefore could do no miracles in the HEARTS of those he spoke to.

[/quote]

Where does it say that Christ could do no miracles in their HEARTS? You are implying something that is not scripturally there. You are reading into scripture what it does not say.

[quote="Barry1961, post:5, topic:321773"]
Where does it say that Christ could do no miracles in their HEARTS? You are implying something that is not scripturally there. You are reading into scripture what it does not say.

[/quote]

Perhaps it is reading into, but I agree. He did cure a few sick people did He not? I think it is reading with good understanding. He can do anything He wants, but His purpose is to draw the faithfull to God. Doing miracles to those who have no faith is attracting people who only desire miracles and performance for their benefit, not for God's glory.

Peace,
Michael

[quote="Barry1961, post:5, topic:321773"]

[/quote]

The scripture itself says that he healed a few people, but then goes on to say that he could do no mighty deed there. Obviously, that means that he was quite capable of DOING a miracle, but since nothing good would come of it (the people had little faith) he did few miracles.

I'm not sure what you find wrong with my analysis. What is your interpretation?

I also agree with the previous two posts. I’ve never really thought about it before, but the Gospel does indeed say that he cured a few people there – and that counts as miracles to us mortals, right?

So to me it naturally implies that he could not do miracles of changing their hearts, because that would require the cooperation of a person’s free will; it’s not a deficiency on the part of Our Lord, but the lack of faith from the people of his own hometown.

[quote="surritter, post:8, topic:321773"]
So to me it naturally implies that he could not do miracles of changing their hearts, because that would require the cooperation of a person's free will; it's not a deficiency on the part of Our Lord, but the lack of faith from the people of his own hometown.

[/quote]

That is a very cool observation! Cant miraculously change heart without our cooperation! Which is also due to the calling of the Father;)

God bless,
Michael

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.