Where does it say that rejecting abortion/gay marriage but not wanting to vote for it is a sin?

Please answer nicely, I can understand how compassionate you all are towards these kind of things, but I have my reason to do these things. Let us just not condemn each other or change one another but talk nicely and softly.

So I reject abortion and gay marriage, yet I don’t want to vote for it to be illegal. Mainly because it just seems controlling and makes others angry. I would rather just reject it in my heart but not get caught up into the drama of politics, I am only 19 and I choose to be neutral. While many may say it is a mortal sin. Where does it say this? If you can find proof for me from the Catholic Church it is, I may reconsider. But honestly I myself in my own heart just don’t want to be torn up by this.

I respect all of your opinions but let us all agree not to change one another. Only state facts not opinions, don’t tear down but build up instead.

Information on voting from Catholic Answers:

shop.catholic.com/voter-s-guide-for-serious-catholics.html

Hit " “Preview” to read.

More:

catholic.com/marriage

(they will also contain various references to Church documents regarding various issues)

Is it possible that there is any specific Vatican or Bishop websites that talk about it by any chance? Maybe ones that refer to canon law or the catechism where it says it is forbidden to reject gay marriage/abortion yet not choose to vote?

catholicvote.org/12-must-read-quotes-from-bishop-paprockis-same-sex-marriage-exorcism/

catholicadvocate.com/voter-guide-2/voter-guide/

We are obligated to vote. Being neutral on issues of the day does not help. Not voting does not help.

Hope this helps,
Ed

Considerations regarding proposals to give legal recognition to unions between homosexual persons.

usccb.org/issues-and-action/human-life-and-dignity/abortion/on-the-prochoice-position-on-abortion.cfm

U.S. Bishops’ Documents
No Catholic can responsibly take a “pro-choice” stand when the “choice” in question involves the taking of innocent human life.

John Paul II, continuing the constant teaching of the Church, has reiterated many times that those who are directly involved in lawmaking bodies have a «grave and clear obligation to oppose» any law that attacks human life. For them, as for every Catholic, it is impossible to promote such laws or to vote for them.

I don’t promote or vote for such laws, I choose to stay out of it, and not vote yes or no for them, I have no obligation to vote pro-life or gay marriage ban. I reject both of them in my heart, but I don’t want to get mixed up with politics. I mourn each and everyone of the abortions and killing of innocents. But I am not going to mix my religion with government. I will not be controlling or change anybody forcefully. I accept your opinion, but I please ask you to not use harsh, bold, wording, only nice talking. Even if you are trying to help, apply your words with kindness and love and then I will fully listen, at the moment I am doing homework, I cannot look at your link but I will soon. Thank you.

:thumbsup:

None of the words were mine. You asked for something from a bishops website. Every word came from the link I’d posted above it Your welcome.

But you made the words very bold, it seemed pushy.

I don’t want to vote. I don’t want to take the side of pro-life because I feel forceful and controlling…Nor do i want to take the side of pro choice, I disagree with it. If we just convinced other people outside of abortion offices to please stop what they are doing and just convince them to not do it. I would do that, but I don’t want to force it out of their hands. I am just not that kind of guy.

Do we really need to do this :(? Why do you want to change me so badly? My choices are my choices, can’t you respect that? Unless my choice of not voting qualifies as a mortal sin and goes against church teaching…than I refuse to move. Forgive me but I didn’t come here to have my opinion changed, just facts concerning whether my choice of not voting, yet, rejecting abortion and gay marriage was fine. I hope you can respect my choice, bless you all.

I totally understand.

I completely reject murder and auto theft…but I would never bring myself to vote for such things to be illegal…Mainly it just seems to control those who want to do these things and makes them angry that they are doing something wrong.

:rolleyes:

Hopefully you can see from my example, that if you truly believe something is wrong, you cannot help but want to pass laws against it to protect society from its problems. Abortion and gay marriage are extremely destructive to individuals and society.

I don’t believe you would sit silently in Nazi Germany when it was legal to kill Jews and haul them off to concentration camps. Hopefully you would want to vote to change that instead of sitting silently because you don’t want to offend someone.

I’m sorry if it came across as pushy. Most of the paragraph I posted from the article was about lawmakers, I only bolded the part I did to point out that that part was about all Catholics, not just lawmakers.

I’m not sure why you are upset that people have posted replies to your questions. If you don’t want to hear the answer, don’t ask the question. I can understand that you don’t want to push your beliefs on others, but standing up for Christ is what Christians are called to do. God Bless You and bring you peace.

For me, it’s listening to stories of nurses and doctors who have been involved in taking the life of an unborn child. The stories of the pain that is inflicted upon these tiny humans (in utero) as they are torn apart is horrific. There are a number of videos that show the incredible pain these little ones go thru as they are torn from the safety of the mother’s womb.

It amazes me that people can continue to think this is a good way to ‘get rid of’ this thing that is going to mess up my life…

Psalm 139:13-16 ESV

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

The Pope is saying that legislators have an obligation to oppose laws that promote abortion …but what about us as Catholic citizens?
Do we have no say ? If we can vote to change this abomination, I believe we can’t be neutral, but we also have an obligation to act!

Okay great, you defeated my opinion of fearing to control others because I started seeing the evil of it when that guy, put the NAZI thing and the abortion thing side by side and when you take both the abortion clinic away and the way the jews were killed it was still murder.

One more argument though, I prefer to debate on things before I make final choices. My mom who hates abortion but prefers for a woman to make her own choice, but also doesn’t check anything on the voting ballot said, “before abortion was made legal and was still illegal, she said that, for the people who wanted to get abortions, they used to go to really dirty places and get them done, and after that, get sort of bad infections and really hurt themselves”

What sort of makes me fearful now is that if people still choose to get abortions,even though it is illegal, I am afraid that they might hurt themselves, or get a very bad infection, maybe even an std from some guy that uses used equipment to give abortions. Other than that I totally support your claim about seeing abortion as killing of innocent lives and now i don’t fear being forceful mainly because I compared it with the NAZI killings. So please nicely and politely debate with me…

Well think of it this way…

Heroine is illegal and many people use Heroine and get their drugs from back alley drug dealers and it is dangerous and lots of them overdose.

If we made Heroine legal. They could get their drugs in a clean clinic where it is properly sourced and the amount of OD’s would go down.

Should we make heroine legal then?

Its the same argument as your mom is making. We should not make things legal because if we do not, then some people will do stupid things.

It sounds like you would really benefit from Trent Horn’s Book “Persuasive Pro Life”

Maybe, but what if that stupid person was a stupid teenager who got pregnant from 13-17. We were all stupid kids at one point making stupid decisions. Right?

You can thank my mom for helping me find good arguments as well

Sure, we all make mistakes…would the answer for the stupid decision made by a 14 year old who almost OD’d on bad heroine be to offer to by her untainted heroine?

Or would the answer be to continue to hold heroine as illegal…maybe even strengthen the laws so people can’t get it easily, and support her in getting clean and turning from drugs.

Same with pregnancy.

The answer to a young girls sexual mistake is not to murder the child that has no fault at all in it. The answer is to support her and help her. She can give the baby up for adoption and go about her life with a lesson learned.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.