Where does your state rank in religious belief?

Where does your state rank in religious belief?
Gallup poll reveals ‘Bible Belt’ for real

A recent poll of more than 350,000 Americans on the importance of religion revealed that the nation is separated into enclaves of widely divergent viewpoints on faith, with some states and regions clearly religious and others significantly secular.

Gallup conducted a telephone poll of 355,334 U.S. adults, asking the question, “Is religion an important part of your daily life?”

Does anyone see the similarity in the this map and the red state?blue state maps?

Number eleven for Texas, BTW.

Absolutely there is a correlation. But there is also a correlation to states that are ratifying same sex marriages and euthanasia. More reasons to pray.

wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=89029

if you count ties we’re tied for 8th, bet if you knocked out austin it’d jump up a few more.

Pennsylvania is right in the middle. Not really surprising.

John

Kansas is number 13 on the religious scale with a 70% rating. And yet we elected a
pro-abortion governor, and are famous for late-term abortion providers.

I really have been mystified that Sebelius was elected. How did that happen? KC suburbs+ Lawrence? What?

I don’t recall seeing the distribution of votes on Sebelius. She’s apparently fiscally conservative enough for Kansas, and apparently a lot of the conservatives in the State don’t care about the abortion issue enough to make it a voting priority.

I recall seeing a red/blue voting map in the Bush/Gore election. Most of the counties go red except Douglas (Lawrence, KU University town) and Wyandotte, and sometimes Johnson County, with a good many wealthy liberals.

At the moment Sebelius is catching more flak for her denial of a permit for a proposed coal-fired electric generating plant in western KS than for anything to do with abortion. Her appointee who handles air-quality permits for the KS Dept of Health & Environmenthas denied it for the plant apparently on the sole basis of the amount of CO2 it’s expected to emit over its lifetime. This despite the fact that KS has no regulations on CO2. The legislature has tried to overturn this without success. But I only hear abortion mentioned in Catholic circles. And while KS is conservative, it’s not Catholic in any great percentage.

Numbers of Catholics don’t necessarily make a difference. In Mo, the greatest concentration of Catholics is in the St. Louis area, but St. Louis City and St. Louis County both went for Obama. On the other hand, there are a lot of Catholics in the Jefferson City area, and it did not.

There may be a difference in the protestant sects in Ks vs Mo. Huge swaths of Mo are dominated by fundamentalists, particularly So Baptists. I don’t know what groups prevail in Ks.

I do hope your legislature gets the generating plant thing straightened out, as much of our electrical power comes from coal-fired generating plants in Ks.

Gee, my state is the least religious state in the nation. Not surprising at all, really. :rolleyes:

Well my state Massachusetts is right down there with you.

Of course, what we lack in quantity, we make up in quality.

Its difficult living in a population of pagans and heretics, but the holy are able to do it. :smiley:

Jim

Heck, it can be difficult trying to live in a population of Catholics and Lutherans, who may not be as easy to get along with as pagans and heretics.

It’s sad to see that Rhode Island, the state with the highest percentage of Catholics, is near the bottom of the list.

My state (OH) is about where I expected it to be.

I’m in one of the least religious places, least Catholic places and best parishes.:slight_smile: It just goes to show good things can happen everywhere.

Me too!

:whistle:

I knew I lived in the Bible belt. But I never knew we were number 2.
:yyeess:

That might explain why when asked in polls about prayer at restaurants or the like, I never understand why people even ask the question. Around here, most tables pray before the meal.

If you follow up the poll data and compare it to international numbers, the U.S. was below average in overall religious devotion and even states like those in the Bible belt were only above average, not really comparing with those parts of the world that were most religious. On the flip side, even the least religious states in America would much more interested in religion that those that came in as least religious on the poll (countries in the north of Europe, etc.).

Below average compared to what nations, Saudi Arabia, India?

It seems the countries like these, which have the highest numbers of religious people, are also the most intolerant of religions, not of their own.

Jim

well below pretty much any country in the southern hemisphere other than australia and nz. but the average was something like 82% of people saying that religion was an important part of their lives, while in the u.s. only 2/3 of people said it was an important part of their lives. india was about average in its response (a few pts below the mean response). it was really african countries that dominated the list. then you can talk about the arabian peninsula and south east asia (which helped round out the top 20%). saudi is in that top 20%, but is not among the highest.

as to your second point…it was interesting that even among americans who identified themselves as religious, about 70% of them said that everyone could find salvation through their own religion (the question was a fairly blunt tool…it was an either or: salvation can be found only through my religion vs. many religions lead to eternal life). catholic response was closer to 80%. the only groups that REALLY rejected the idea of other religions as paths to salvation were the JWs and the Mormons.

salaam.

Badaliyyah;

well below pretty much any country in the southern hemisphere other than australia and nz. but the average was something like 82% of people saying that religion was an important part of their lives, while in the u.s. only 2/3 of people said it was an important part of their lives. india was about average in its response (a few pts below the mean response). it was really african countries that dominated the list. then you can talk about the arabian peninsula and south east asia (which helped round out the top 20%). saudi is in that top 20%, but is not among the highest.

I would guess that nations in the southern hemisphere are predominately Muslim, and Islamic nations were its the majority religion, are intolerant of non-Muslim religions.

as to your second point…it was interesting that even among americans who identified themselves as religious, about 70% of them said that everyone could find salvation through their own religion (the question was a fairly blunt tool…it was an either or: salvation can be found only through my religion vs. many religions lead to eternal life). catholic response was closer to 80%. the only groups that REALLY rejected the idea of other religions as paths to salvation were the JWs and the Mormons.

Whether one believes salvation can be obtained through other religions is irrelevant to my statement about nations being intolerant other faiths.

I as a Christian believe that salvation can be achieved through the Catholic Faith, but here in the USA, we do tolerate the beliefs of others.

Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.