Where in scripture does it state "to accept Christ as our personal Lord and Savior"?"

Where in scripture does it state “to accept Christ as our personal Lord and Savior”?

Can’t find it :wink:

First: welcome aboard:)

Second: you may want to use more descriptive titles in the future;)

i don’t see the problem with the title of the post (???) :confused:

but anyhow… I have to say it IS implied in the Bible…

when Jesus rejects those who even do “mighty deeds in His name”… keeps them from entering Heaven… He says “Depart from me, i never KNEW you.” [emphasis added]

i believe we are called to KNOW Jesus intimately… not just know OF Him…

and if we KNOW him we will want to do what he says…

In another passage Jesus says that the way to etneral life is to obey the commandments…

so it appears that obedience & knowing HIm are essential… Still, if one obeyes the Scirptures, evn though not intimately knowing Jesus like some saints have… i believe that person will attain Heaven… may have to go thro Purg 1st but will make it…

I think that was sarcasm.

As for me, I have accepted Christ as my **professional **Lord and Savior. :wink:

Is He all yours, personally? Or does He belong to the whole world? :slight_smile:

:popcorn:

Eh, lets be careful when we get picky with stuff like that. I was in Washington DC recently with a few friends, and we passed a Catholic Church that had a sign outside. It said, “Eucharistic Adoration: Come spend time with our Lord!”. One of my friends, who is a protestant, said “Why is He just YOUR Lord? He’s everyone’s, not just YOURS”. It was a complaint that was backed by a pre-existing prejudice against Catholics, not a serious question.

As Catholics, lets try not to be guilty of that. :cool:

My first thought when I read the title was that maybe it was Protestant-baiting. This is a very Protestant phrase, like asking when were you saved. As a Catholic from childhood, I never quite knew how to answer these questions. Sometimes we have a language barrier when talking with Protestants. I think I’ll ask one of my non-denominational Christian friends that question.

meaning?? :confused:

not sure exactly what you mean but i (for one) am NOT going to water down my Catholicism just so as not to “offend” (Define that word) protestants…

When i am in the Real Presence I am with Jesus in a very unique and tangible way… and that’s what i tell non-Catholics… If they find that offensive… Who cares? I am to avoid offending GOD…

if the truth offends… something is wrong…

I think you misunderstood me. Maybe you should re read my post. We shouldn’t water down our Catholicism at all! It was in response to the comment:

[quote=jmcrae] Is He all yours, personally? Or does He belong to the whole world? :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I meant that we should avoid comments like the quote above, because I had a protestant do that to me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to spend time with “Our Lord”, and there is nothing wrong with calling Him “our Lord”. It was wrong for my protestant friend for getting offended at calling Christ “our” Lord. Just as it is wrong for us Catholics to get upset when protestants call Jesus “their” Lord.

Consider the substance of this to be in Scripture, but not the form. And I do not intend that to mean a defense of “Just say that you believe in Jesus as Lord and Savior and you go to Heaven!”.

Think about what it means to accept Jesus Christ as Lord - it means obedience, in deed far more than in word. It means honoring Him with your life, obeying His commands, living a life of humility, love, holiness and piety.

What about accepting Jesus as Savior? This entails understanding that you cannot get to Heaven of your own accord, that your sins will condemn you, and it is only through Christ’s death that we are Redeemed, and through His Resurrection that we have hope of salvation. It means understanding yourself as a new creation who is fed by Grace and constantly needs that Grace in order to persevere. It is a recognition of dependence upon the Lord, and also of compliance with Him and His Church.

So yes, we can validly say “I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and my personal Savior” but we ought to add, “and this is something I live. I don’t just say it.” How the formula given is often used - the so-called “Sinner’s Prayer” - implicitly tries to draw a line between faith and deed, when we know from James that you cannot separate one from the other for many reasons. If you don’t live your faith, you don’t believe in it.

Galatians 4:6
Because you are sons,
God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts,
crying, "Abba! Father!

In this verse I see personal and corporate:
as the spirit of the Son is sent into my heart its very personal,
but the same spirit is sent into his, hers, and the others heart therefore not just mine.

And as far as I know you have to accept the spirit that is offered to you.

I’m not sure if it’s explicit, but the message is clear that is our calling.

i think its strange (ironic) that protestants are the ones using this phrasology…

when Cathlics possess the absolute Best and Highest way of having a personal relationship wtih Christ… It’s called

*** the Real Presence… ***

***the MASS ***

I totally agree with that - the Protestants (and I used to be one of them) continually talk about having “a personal relationship with Jesus”, but then scoff as Catholics receive Holy Communion - what is more personal than receiving the very Body and Blood of Jesus?

As for them asking Catholics asking repeatedly “where’s that in the Bible?” - that question, when turned on its head and asked of themselves on a multitude of issues they hold dear, leaves them without any answers - but until the grace is given for them to see the very irony of that question, and how it points to the glaring fatal flaw in their whole system, they will never admit they are wrong

—todd
catholicsojourner.blogspot.com

I think it strange that some Catholics get offended by the Protestant phrasology. Protestants have their Personal Relationship as the ‘gold standard’, while many Catholics profess/think only Communal Church Relational ties to Christ is bibical.

Each Tribe needs to explore the other’s spiritual reality … and discover that BOTH type bondings to Christ are scriptural and necessary.

i totally agree… but… i don’t know what denom you r from… but I have noticed, esp in the last sev yrs, that a lot of protestants live out Christianity (at least in some ways) better than (most?) Catholics do.

4 example, there have been times in my life whne i needed some kind of practical help & only non-Catholics were wililing to give it.

one time i was stuck in this town for a couple days (long story why) I went to a Catholic Church to try to at least get a place to take a shower. I got nothing.

A protestant church was very kind to me and helpe me with a lot of my needs. They didn’t provide a place to take a shower but by that time i had run into a friend who said i could take one at her house. Anyway, i couldn’t help notice that the protestants gave me more practical help, even went out of their way to provide it than the C’s

There are other incidents also… IT seems that Catholics are very cold these days… but i don’t wnt to generalize about all of them… Even so, it seems i have had too many experiences like the above…

where are the Catholic homeless shelters?? orphanages? (yes i know…) Where are the Catholic soup kitches… .homes 4 unwed mothers… and… etc…???

The word “personal” can mean several things.

It can mean heartfelt, deep commitment in the soul. “Love the Lord with all your heart, mind, and strength.” We Catholics can agree with this meaning.

It can also mean exclusiveness, as in “my faith relationship with Christ is my own personal concern, back off and mind your own business Mr. Pope Benedict.” This meaning of the word ‘personal’ in regards to faith is incorrect. We Catholics understand the body of Christ and our connectedness to it.

First off, if you say aloud these words: “Our Lord”, you are including yourself, right?
So the Protestant who, of course,protested about this was playing a semantic game of his own. Now I do not know this for a fact but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt as the other scenario only betrays his obvious prejudice.

Catholicism is not tribal. And, pardon me, but have you read anything of the history of Christianity? When you say “necessary”, necessary with regard to what exactly?
Why on earth would a true Catholic subscribe to your notion when the true Catholic Church
holds the key to Salvation?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.