Where in the Bible did Jonadab command not to drink wine?

I was reading Jeremiah 35:6 where the Rechabites refused to drink the cups of wine set before them per the command given them by Jonadab not to drink and to live the nomadic life. I have looked at the citations in the Jerusalem Bible and the D-R but cannot find the specific verse where Jonadab gave this specific order.

Can you help?

Joe

Jer 35 is the only reference to this. It does not say why their ancestor put this requirement on them.

He was likely following the command to voluntarily take a vow to drink no wine, which is found in Numbers 6:3.

mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0406.htm#1

In Numbers, this is presented as an option, not an obligation.

Not drinking wine or strong drink is part of the Nazarite vow as Spokrates pointed out in his reference to Numbers 3.

John the Baptist was a Nazarite.

And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth, for he will be great in the sight of [the] Lord. He will drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will be filled with the holy Spirit even from his mother’s womb, (Luke 1:14-15)

Nazarites also would not cut their hair so they would shave completely before taking the Nazarite vow. Paul and three others were Nazarites for a time.

**After this Paul stayed many days longer, and then took leave of the brethren and sailed for Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aq’uila. At Cen’chre-ae he cut his hair, for he had a vow. **(Acts 18:18)

Do therefore what we tell you. We have four men who are under a vow. (Acts 121:23)

Sampson in the Book of Judges was a permanent nazarite.

Then the woman came and told her husband, "A man of God came to me, and his countenance was like the countenance of the angel of God, very terrible; I did not ask him whence he was, and he did not tell me his name; but he said to me, `Behold, you shall conceive and bear a son; so then drink no wine or strong drink, and eat nothing unclean, for the boy shall be a Nazirite to God from birth to the day of his death.’" (Judges 13:6-7)

-Tim-

Thanks for the replies, folks. I appreciate the feed back.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.