Where in the bible does it say that "Baptism" washes away our original sin?

:wave: Hi believers

You wanted to know?

Here are some scripture passages that talk about the saving waters.

Paul is talking about being washed with baptismal waters;
9 Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit the
kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators
nor idolaters nor adulterers nor boy prostitutes nor
sodomites
[size=]10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers
nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11 That is what some of you used to be; but now you
have had yourselves washed, you were sanctified,
you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ
and in the Spirit of our God.[/size] 1 Cor 6:9-11
Since everyone in the beginning of Christ’s Church were “converts” most of these people were baptized as adults. All their sins were washed away, including original sins. And the families of these adults were also baptized. Children and infants were also included in the baptisms. So even a child/infant who has no real sin of there own were washed clean from original sin.

The waters of baptism save us. And if it did not clean us from the original sin then we would not be saved from baptismal waters. But we are saved from that water. It is not merely symbolic.
18 For Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous
for the sake of the unrighteous, that he might lead you to God.
Put to death in the flesh, he was brought to life in the spirit.
[size=]19 In it he also went to preach to the spirits in prison,
20 who had once been disobedient while God patiently waited
in the days of Noah during the building of the ark, in which
a few persons, eight in all, were saved through water.
21 This prefigured baptism, which saves you now. It is not a
removal of dirt from the body but an appeal to God for a clear
conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ
22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with
angels, authorities, and powers subject to him.[/size] 1 Peter 3:18-21

I hope you read this believers. You did ask where in the bible does it say that Baptism washes away original sin. So I posted the scripture passages.

I hope this means that you do see it here.

Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, [who is] the faithful witness, [and] the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, (NOT BY WATER)

You always seem to completely ignore any scripture verse that I post in here. Please read those verses again, or not. It’s up to you whether you want to hear the truth or not.

I never said that Jesus does NOT wash us with his Blood. As a matter of fact we Catholics know that it is His Blood that washes our sins away.

When Jesus was pierced with a lance, water and blood came out. It is from that water that my sins are washed away. It came from Jesus Christ. It is also His Blood because He shed it for us.

Here is a beautiful prayer that we call “Anima Christi”

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds hide me.
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee.
From the malicious enemy defend me.
In the hour of death call me,
And bid me come to Thee.
That with Thy saints I may praise Thee
For ever and ever.
Amen.

Any Christian can say this prayer. I say this prayer after I receive Jesus Christ in Holy Communion. It’s a powerful prayer. Any Christian that wants a Spiritual Communion with Jesus Christ can say this prayer. :gopray:

But what is baptism but a Sacrament that flows from the efficacious act of Jesus’ death and resurrection? So nothing contradictory in that passage actually.

Mat 26:28
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Col 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, [even] the forgiveness of sins:

Rom 5:9
Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Act 20:28
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Hbr 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption [for us].

Hbr 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from ALL sin.

Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, [who is] the faithful witness, [and] the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

The Word of God says that the blood of Jesus “cleansed us from ALL sin”. If we no longer have original sin, how can water baptism wash away what is no longer there? It’s contradictory to what Jesus did on the cross.

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from ALL sin.

Is this an argument between a Catholic and a Pelagian? Just curious.

CDL

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_26.gif

%between%

I’m a Christian.

Then you probably believe much of what the original Christians do… (Catholics)… and that would include John 6, and so much more that you left behind when you where “born again”.

Or maybe you don’t or can’t.:confused: After all, they are the exact words of Christ Himself.

Which verse(s) please?

We still have original sin… That’s why the sacrement of Baptism is done. Church teaches we still have original sin… This whole thread has confused me and I’m having trouble following…

Give the whoile passage to get the whole meaning

1John 1:5-7
This is the message God has given us to pass on to you: that God is Light and in him is no darkness at all. So if we say we are his friends, but go on living in spiritual darkness and sin, we are lying. But if we are living in the light of God’s presence, just as Christ does, then we have wonderful fellowship and joy with eachother, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from every sin.

No, we do not have original sin. Adam sinned and Jesus took care of it.

Rom 5:19
For as by one man’s (Adam) disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one (Jesus) shall many (the believers) be made righteous.

You said the church teaches we still have original sin. But the Word of God teaches that we don’t. I believe the Word. Not your religion.

The Word of God is the final authority.

You can beleive what you will and I’ll beleive what I beleive. You beleive being protestant is ok, I don’t. We wont see eye to eye, but we can keep it friendly.

This doesn’t mean we are not to be baptized. It means that the Blood of Christ is the ultimate source of salvation. It doesn’t state how salvation is to be applied to our souls. That is the purpose of Baptism.

And I have noticed that the non-baptism crowd does tend to avoid the passage from 1 Peter, Chapter 3 like the plague. There isn’t an answer to it. It plainly and unequivocally says that baptism saves.

How about ALL of John 6, not just selective verses ?:wink:

In fact, how about reading John 6 and trying to ignore all the Chapters and verses - in the way it was originally penned… read it like a love letter to you. That way the flow of the Words of Christ will be direct… especially when He uses Amen, Amen, or Truly Truly to give an oath to His Words.

My religion put the word of God into words for you to read and misinterpret as you will. If you didn’t notice the new testament is written by the first Pope and the first Bishops of the Catholic Church.

Not this Christian. Go ahead and post your verse. Let’s see how far we get.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.