Where in the Bible does it say the Bible is the word of God?

Could anyone point me to the verse that says the Bible-this book we are reading-is the word of God. I was asked this question and before I say, “just because it is”, I felt I needed a little more than that answer for the both of us.

Well, it doesn’t. But if you are up for the look of shock on their faces and feel comfortable in the defence that will be necessary, just tell them that the Bible is the word of God because the Catholic Church says so!!:thumbsup:

John 1:1 would be a good enough response. :smiley:

It does not, and should not in my opinion, simply because Jesus is the Word of God (cf John 1:1). I have never liked the term “Word of God” for the Bible, but rather “the Holy Scriptures”. In fact, if you try to find verses where it is referred to as “the Scriptures”, you will find many. Here are just a few examples:

Matthew 21:42
Jesus saith unto them, Did you never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

Matthew 26:54
But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?"

Matthew 26:56
But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

Mark 12:10
Have you not read this scripture: 'The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.

Mark 12:24
And Jesus answering said unto them, “Do you not therefore err, because you do know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?”

If you want to know what verse tells us that the Scriptures are inspired by God, that is:

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness;

As to the canonized books of the Bible, you will not find any verse that tells you which books were to be part of the Bible. That was decided on the Catholic Church’s authority. I believe the first local canon which solidified the books of the Bible that we have today was created at the Council of Rome in 382. It was not binding on the whole Church, because it was just a local council, but then later councils upheld that same canon. In the protestant rebellion, seven OT books were labeled apocryphal on the authority of Martin Luther and his supporters. At the Council of Trent, the books that were canonized in 382 were canonized for the whole Church. This was a response to the dispute over the seven books (which, by the way, were included in the Septuagint, which dates to Jesus’ day and is quoted by the writers of the NT)

We profess that Holy Scripture is indeed the “Word of the Lord” in every single Mass at the conclusion of the first and second readings, before the congregation responds, “Thanks be to God.”

I’m not sure the Bible has to proclaim anything about itself…because it was written and compiled for and by man. It is the Church that proclaims the infallibility of Holy Scripture because Christ established the Church to do just that. Constantly having to search for something in Scripture will eventually lead to a rejection of Scripture when the answer isn’t explicitly found. It’s the ultimate fallacy that one’s faith is built on a book and not on Christ and His Church. Not saying that as a knock to Christians who are not Catholic, but just an observation about how easy it is to get lost in your faith journey if everything must be explicitly stated in the Bible.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for … - Bible

biblehub.com/2_timothy/3-16.htm‎

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to … All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for …

2 Timothy 3:17 - ‎2 Timothy 3:16 KJV - ‎2 Timothy 3:16 NIV - ‎2 Timothy 3:16 NLT
2 Timothy 3:16-17 - All Scripture is God-breathed and is - Bible …

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2…3…‎

BibleGateway.com

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly …

2 Timothy 3:16-17 ESV - All Scripture is breathed out by God - Bible …

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2…‎

BibleGateway.com

16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be …

2 Timothy 3:16 - All Scripture is God-breathed and is - Bible Gateway

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search…16‎

BibleGateway.com

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

2 Timothy 3:16-17 NKJV - All Scripture is given by inspiration - Bible …

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2…‎

BibleGateway.com

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the.

Scripture “the Bible” is a documentation of a people and the Lord their God who is the Creator and Judge of all things. The Creator and Judge speaks and things obey, hence the Word of God through which all that was made was made. (Gen:1, Jn:1). And these people the Israelites and those who are documented before them like Noah, have had a relationship with the Creator and Judge through His Word in His Presence. Hence what God told them and or said to them or commanded them. They recorded and you read what He said, hence the Word of God. Jesus said, that would be Word of the Lord God, God said let there be light, that would be Word of God also.

That is talking about Jesus

You have already good answers to your question but there is one Book in the Canon of the New Testament that assures us is the Word of God.

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave to him to show his servants what must soon take place, and which he made known by sending his angel to his servant John, who bears witness to the Word of God and the Witness of Jesus Christ, of all that he saw. " Rev 1:1-2

The Revelation is described here as ‘the Word of God and the Witness of Jesus Christ’, an expression that confirms its origin with God and places it firmly in the Scriptural tradition :thumbsup:

In the love of God,
Gloria

The books of Exodus, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy – from my memory – contain many references to what God says to Moses, as an intermediary, between God and men.

The phrase “Thus says the LORD” is a phrase we hear often in scripture.

But it is not just the “thus” that is inspired, but the entire scrolls (books) were accepted as inspired.

The entire contents of the Catholic Bible are considered to be inspired.

John 10:35 - If he called them gods to whom the word of God was spoken; and the scripture cannot be broken:"

The word of God was spoken to them and put in writing as scripture. Clearly, Scripture (the Bible) is the written word of God.

Also, by saying that “scripture cannot be broken (is true forever),” Jesus acknowledges the Divine authorship of the writings in Scripture.

Well…here is the context of john10:35…

31 The Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of these do you stone me?” 33 The Jews answered him, “We stone you for no good work but for blasphemy; because you, being a man, make yourself God.” 34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, you are gods’? 35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came (and scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37 If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; 38 but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” 39 Again they tried to arrest him, but he escaped from their hands.

Jesus is referring to the Law of Moses…not the Bible as you have it today…and this Law called the jews…as gods who received God’s message…and called this Law as scripture…not what we would refer to now as the Bible.

Again…context, context, context…:thumbsup:

=Ron_in_minden;11673280]Could anyone point me to the verse that says the Bible-this book we are reading-is the word of God. I was asked this question and before I say, “just because it is”, I felt I needed a little more than that answer for the both of us.

2 Tim. 3:16-17

John chapter 1

What John 10:35 shows is this: Scripture is the word of God.

Now, is the Bible Scripture? What we now refer to as the Bible is that book containing both the Jewish Scripture (OT) and the New Testament of the early Jewish Christians.

Jesus Christ acknowledged the OT to be scripture when He continuously referred to its writings to declare a truth. He confirmed the OT to be complete and a faithful preservation of His word when He said: “These are the very things I told you about while I was still with you. Everything written about me in the law of Moses, the writings of the prophets, and the Psalms, had to come true” (Luke 24:44).

Now, since the OT is Scripture, then, it is the word of God (using John 10:35).

But what about the NT, is it Scripture?

The Catholic Church claims to have compiled the books that make up the NT. She claims to have canonized these writings. I would therefore presume she considers these writings as being scriptural as well and on equal footing with the Jewish Scripture.

If that is so, then the whole Bible (OT and NT) is Scripture, and if it is Scripture, then it is the word of God (again using John 10:35).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.