Where In The Bible Does It Say To Worship ON Sunday

I need to know if it states it in the Bible or just in the very early documents of the Church.

My daughter has a friend who she believes God sent to her as her “angel”. He has no background as a Christian in any church and for months only read the Old Testament. He claims we are to worship on the Sabbath. He is not baptized and only goes by what he interprets in the Bible and what some fundamentalists say, although claims he listens to no man, LOL, only the Bible.

She has a brain disease and he has confused her on many issues, but she loves him, feelings are not mutual, she is being used, however, her disease hinders her from seeing through him.

Please give me the verse or verses if they are in the Bible so I can show her.

Thanks.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

There is no explicitly stated command in the scripture to attend Mass on Sunday in the NT (or on Saturday). There are references to the Christians gathering on The Lord’s Day, and Paul warns his readers of not meeting together, but the actual binding obligation comes through the Church.

It doesn’t. Nor does the Catholic Church teach such a thing.

In the Catholic Church, worship is offered seven days a week, 365 days a year, providing sufficient pastoral resources are available (understaffed or mission parishes probably do not uphold this standard). Even in regions where parishes are understaffed, priests will generally work together (coordinating their days off, etc) to assure that a Mass is offered every day somewhere in that region.

Catholics may (usually) worship EVERY day, if they choose to do so. This is something that most protestant churches cannot claim (besides Sunday, they might have a Wednesday worship service, but rarely any more often).

It is true that Catholics are generally REQUIRED to worship on Sunday. This is a rule (a part of Canon Law) and is not a doctrine. The Catholic Church has both rules and doctrines. Rules are of human origin, and most have not been always taught, and any of them could change tomorrow.

The Church has divine authority to impose rules, even if the rules do not have divine origin:

Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. [Matt 18:18]

“Binding” and “loosing” are rabbinical terms meaning to impose or dispense a religious obligation.

It may be slightly more complicated than this.

It is a commandment directly from God to keep holy the sabbath day (Saturday). So that isn’t really a man made rule.
This has always been understood as communal worship not a private devotion.

The Church did however believe it had the power to decide what day this could be applied to and the nature of the worship. Hence it is a man made rule (a “precept” of the Church I believe) that we fulfill this on a Sunday (the day of the Resurrection) instead and by means of the Eucharist.

Yes I do understand that, however, this person tells my daughter that God commanded worship on the Sabbath and not on Sunday. As Christians we celebrate His Resurrection on Sunday instead of the Old Testament command of the Sabbath. I need some documentation that it was changed to Sunday. The guy does not have any knowledge of how the Church was established, nor that Christ gave Peter the power to bind or not. Actually he knows nothing of the Early Church, or the Early Church Fathers etc.

He says he only goes by the Bible, however, it is obvious he is reading anti Catholic websites and talking to maybe a 7th Day Adventist. Who knows. She is not aware that I know much of what he is saying about the Church, i.e. The Whore, the Anti Christ and man made etc. He has no knowledge of history of Christianity either, only from what he reads, mostly the Old Testament and obviously websites.

He is leading her astray as she is not aware of the history, nor early Church documents, just that she believes the Catholic Church is the True Church and doesn’t have the ability to show him the truth of the Church.

God Bless

Bernadette

Why? The Church could have changed the day of obligatory worship from Saturday to Sunday last week. It would make no difference.

You’re waging the wrong battle. You are allowing him to define the terms. Tell him that you have absolute proof that the Church had defined the day of obligatory worship in the Sixteenth Century (or Eighteenth Century, or whatever). So what? The Church CAN DO THAT. It does not matter WHEN the Church did that.

The Church has the authority to set the rules. This authority is not limited to the Early Church. THIS is what you must make him understand, because THIS is the truth of the matter. WHEN the day was changed is completely irrelevant, and don’t let yourself be drawn into that irrelevancy. The question has nothing to do with history, and everything to do with authority. History is irrelevant in this matter.

I have no contact with this man at all. My daughter is the one who listens to him and has a strange relation with him. She claims he is her spiritual soul mate. She also doesn’t know that I am aware of what he is telling her. Many people with her disease can’t be reasoned with, I have tried and although I know she stands up for what I tell her, he just tells her I am deceived and that all Catholics are going to hell. I can’t argue with her, as it does no go and in many ways I am her only caretaker, although she doesn’t live with me.

If you understood her disease it might help you understand that their brains don’t work like a normal persons. I think she has a rude awakening in the future with him and pray it doesn’t harm her condition more.

I wish I could speak to him directly however since I am not suppose to be privy to what he says, I can’t confront him with the truth.

Thanks for your responses.

Bernadette

catholic.com/tracts/sabbath-or-sunday

catholic.com/quickquestions/did-the-early-church-move-the-sabbath-from-saturday-to-sunday

catholic.com/quickquestions/what-about-the-seventh-day-adventist-claim-that-the-sabbath-shouldnt-have-been-change

Although you are correct on the 24, 7,365 doctrine. Sunday is the major day for us as Christians to meet and give thanks to God. Remember that Jesus worked on the sabbath and he told the Jews my father was on the sabbath so I work on the sabbath.

Then the early church fathers beginning with the didache, to all the early church fathers, they said the same thing. They all said, the first day of the week, meaning Sunday, use it as the day to give thanks to The Lord, as it was the day our Lord resurrected and it is the first day of creation.

The most important verse to back the church teaching on Sunday worship is 2 Thessalonians 2:15, stand firm to the teachings you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or letter.

St Paul speaks of the congregations coming together and offering the Eucharist on ‘the Lord’s Day’ which is most definitely SUNDAY. Every Sunday, according to the Church’s teaching as a deposit of faith (The Magesterium) is a ‘little Easter’.

Of course you could also mention that virtually every Catholic Church offers the Saturday VIGIL MASS. So guess what, all your daughter has to do is tell him, "fine, let’s go to the Saturday vigil mass to worship’. . .and he can’t say that they are NOT worshipping on ‘the Sabbath’, now can he?

Is your daughter a legal adult or due to her brain disease does she have diminished capacity? Are you in any way a legal guardian?

If so, get a restraining order against this person who is trying to unduly influence her and take advantage of her. If you think there are any grounds for such a restraining order-- taking advantage financially for example.

If you don’t think your daughter is competent, and you aren’t her legal representative, then take it to the court system to be appointed a legal guardian.

Short of that, you are not going to make headway with a daughter with mental issues who thinks she is in love with an angel sent to her by God.

She is on her own. Since this man came into her life, he knows how to manipulate her, although she does try to counteract some of the issues he states. She has a big heart and since she is emotionally involved with him, she seems to be careful about when she disagrees with him. He also has told her other things that are really off the wall and as part of her problem has become obsessed with the issues.

Her goal is to save souls and fears that any sin, not deadly ones even will bring God’s wrath upon her. Until this man came into her life she knew that confession and the Holy Eucharist was very important, since then, she is more wrapped up in what he tells her.

I pray that she will wake up and if I show her Bible verses which prove that he is wrong on certain statements, it will help her and strengthen her when talking to him.

God Bless

Bernadette

Thank you, this information has been most helpful.

God Bless

Bernadette

I just want to say thanks to everyone for their help and hope I can give her the information that she can convey to this man to stop the confusion he is causing.

God Bless

Bernadette

In realty, Christians abolished well over 90% of the Sabbath. Keep Holy the Sabbath day is a commandment that God gave to the Jews in his Torah. This commandment has so many sub-commandments that Christians are unaware of. For example, on the Sabbath, one may not: drive, turn on a light, watch TV, listen to the radio, sew, plow, write, build, exchange money, rip toilet paper, cook, turn on the hot water, brush teeth, put on make-up, light a fire, extinguish a fire, etc etc etc. The first Christians were Jews so they kept the Sabbath in this manner. Over the years as Christianity broke away from Judaism, the way that Christians kept the Sabbath changed drastically. The “Sabbath” that Christians celebrate is simply a day to go to mass, pray, relax, and refrain from the duties of work. As far as the day of worshiping commanded by God? Well that is every day! Observant Jews pray three times a day…“shacharait” (morning) “Mincha” (afternoon) and “Maariv” (evening). Prayer was never reserved for just the Sabbath.

**Part 1.
**Honoring the seventh day of the week is also no longer binding. Saint Paul states that the legal demands of the Old Covenant are canceled and explicitly mentions the Sabbath as one of these. We read how Christ **

**Colossians 2:14-16
“…having canceled the bond which stood against us with its legal demands; this he set aside, nailing it to the cross… Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath." **

The festival, new moon, and Sabbaths are references to the yearly, monthly, and weekly observances of the Mosaic calendar. Therefore the whole Jewish festal calendar including the Sabbath is no longer binding.

**Saint Paul rebukes the Galatians for reverting back to their Jewish customs and observance of feast days of the Mosaic calendar as if they were still binding. **

Galatians 4:9-11
“…but now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and destitute elemental powers? Do you want to be slaves to them all over again? You are observing days, months, seasons, and years. I am afraid on your account that perhaps I have
** labored for you in vain." NAB**

** A reference to Sabbath (7th day), new moon (monthly), and festive (yearly) feast days of the Mosaic calendar.
Colossians 2:14-16
“…Therefore let no one pass judgment on you … with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath.”**

the Christians came together on the first day of the week is also found in Saint Paul’s writings. ****

**1 Corinthians 16:2
“On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that contributions need not be made when I come." **

Saint Paul thought that the most opportune time to collect funds for the poor was when they gathered for their celebration of the Lord’s Supper -the Mass.
**Saint Luke must have had a special purpose for mentioning that they “gathered” on the “first” day of the week in Acts 20:7. This is evident because no where else in Acts, with one exception, does he list the date or the day of the week that this or that momentous missionary journey began, or this or that significant event happened. This implies that Luke was intending to convey the special significance that the “first” day of the week had come to represent. **

CHRIST** HONORSTHE**** FIRST DAYOFTHE W**EEK

**This day replaces the Sabbath for the day especially consecrated to God by the community’s worship. Christians celebrated their worship service in each others homes. Acts 2:42-46 “And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers… breaking bread in their homes…” We can see in the New Testament the beginning of this substitution of the first day of the week for the seventh day that the Jews had honored. **
**Acts 20:7
“On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the morrow; and he prolonged his speech until midnight." **

Here we see the two basic elements of Sunday worship which have been followed by the Church to this day: 1) the breaking of bread, which designates the celebration of the Lord’s Supper (Catholics call it the Mass); and 2) the sermon.

**Christians gathered on the first day of the week because that was the day of the Lord’s greatest triumph over Satan and death. Luke’s Gospel proclaims that Christ rose on the first day of the week. **

Luke 24:1, 2, 6, 7, 13, 19-21
“1. But at daybreak on the first day of the week they took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb.
2. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb …
6. He is not here, but he has been raised. Remember what he said …
7. that the Son of Man must be handed over to sinners and be crucified, and rise on the third day.” …
13. Now that very day two of them were going to a village seven miles from Jerusalem called Emmaus …
19 … Jesus the Nazarene …
20. how our chief priests and rulers both handed him over to a sentence of death and crucified him.
21. But we were hoping that he would be the one to redeem Israel; and besides all this, it is now the third day since this took place.”

**Continued …

Part 2.
Jesus also choose the first day of the week to appear to His Apostles. And seven days later on the following Sunday He also chose to appear again when Saint Thomas was present. John 20:19, 26. “Pentecost” comes from the Greek word for “fiftieth.” Leviticus 23:15 gives the method for computing the day of "Pentecost,” also called the Feast of Weeks. It always falls on the first day of the week. And it was on this day that God chose to inaugurate the Christian Church with the coming of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost Sunday. Cf. Acts 2:1.
In the Old Covenant the Jews communed with God by worshipping Him on the Sabbath. This only prefigured and has given way to the greater method of communing with God in the New Covenant by our reception of the Eucharist, Holy Communion, on the first day of the week.
**Also, in Luke’s Gospel, chapter 24, we read about Christ’s example that we all should follow. **
**Luke 24:1, 13, 27, 30, 35.
(1) “But on the first day of the week…(13) That very day two of them were going to a village named Emmaus, …(27) And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he (Jesus) interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself…(30) When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them…(35) Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he was known to them in the breaking of the bread.” RSV **
Christ’s actions signify the two elements of the Lord’s Supper, the celebration of which Catholics call the Mass. Jesus opens up the Word of God to their hearts and then blesses and brakes bread with them. And He does this with the disciples on the first day of the week.
Saint Paul who says in 1 Corinthians 11:1 “Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ,” gives us an example to follow in Acts 20:7 when he celebrates the Eucharist on the first day of the week.
** “Sunday recalls the day of Christ’s Resurrection. It is Easter which returns week by week, celebrating Christ’s victory over sin and death, the fulfillment in him of the first creation and the dawn of ‘the new creation’ (cf. 2 Cor 5:17) …
n commemorating the day of Christ’s Resurrection not just once a year but every Sunday, the Church seeks to indicate to every generation the true fulcrum of history, to which the mystery of the world’s origin and its final destiny lead …
As in every Eucharistic celebration, the Risen Lord is encountered in the Sunday assembly at the twofold table of the word and of the Bread of Life.”
[Dies Domini, Apostolic letter of Pope John Paul II 1998]

St. John begins his first chapter with the words
“In the beginning…” as we see in Genesis 1:1.

We also see a new creation week. At Cana, the new Adam, Christ (cf. 1 Cor. 15:45), changed the water into wine, symbolizing the change from the Old Covenant to the New Covenant. St. John tells us that there were seven days from “In the Beginning” to the beginning of Christ’s work here at Cana.
These seven days correspond to the seven days of creation in Genesis. John 1: 1, 29, 35, 43. “In the beginning…(29) The next day…(35) The next day… (43) The next day…” this brings us to the fourth day. The next reference to time is found in John 2:1 “On the third day there was a marriage at Cana…” But the third day from the fourth day is the seventh day. Thus the third day and the seventh day are the same day. In the New Covenant of Jesus Christ we have a new seventh day, but it is also the third day - the day He rose from the dead, Luke 24: 46. The third day was also the day that the child Jesus was found teaching His Word in the temple. We also find a close connection between the third and seventh day in Numbers 19:12 “…he shall cleanse himself with the water on the third day and on the seventh day, and so be clean…” Saint John makes these parallels with the book of Genesis, including the new seven days, so that we might see that we are a new creation in Christ. Along with the New Covenant and the new creation we have a new seventh day.

You can continue to reading more on this at
defendingthebride.com/mc/sa/sab1.html
I hope this helps,
John**

Part 2.
Jesus also choose the first day of the week to appear to His Apostles. And seven days later on the following Sunday He also chose to appear again when Saint Thomas was present. John 20:19, 26. “Pentecost” comes from the Greek word for “fiftieth.” Leviticus 23:15 gives the method for computing the day of "Pentecost,” also called the Feast of Weeks. It always falls on the first day of the week. And it was on this day that God chose to inaugurate the Christian Church with the coming of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost Sunday. Cf. Acts 2:1.

**Also, in Luke’s Gospel, chapter 24, we read about Christ’s example that we all should follow. **
**Luke 24:1, 13, 27, 30, 35.
(1) “But on the first day of the week…(13) That very day two of them were going to a village named Emmaus, …(27) And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he (Jesus) interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself…(30) When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them…(35) Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he was known to them in the breaking of the bread.” RSV
**Christ’s actions signify the two elements of the Lord’s Supper, the celebration of which Catholics call the Mass. Jesus opens up the Word of God to their hearts and then blesses and brakes bread with them. And He does this with the disciples on the first day of the week.
Saint Paul who says in 1 Corinthians 11:1 “Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ,” gives us an example to follow in Acts 20:7 when he celebrates the Eucharist on the first day of the week.

** “Sunday recalls the day of Christ’s Resurrection. It is Easter which returns week by week, celebrating Christ’s victory over sin and death, the fulfillment in him of the first creation and the dawn of ‘the new creation’ (cf. 2 Cor 5:17) …
n commemorating the day of Christ’s Resurrection not just once a year but every Sunday, the Church seeks to indicate to every generation the true fulcrum of history, to which the mystery of the world’s origin and its final destiny lead …
As in every Eucharistic celebration, the Risen Lord is encountered in the Sunday assembly at the twofold table of the word and of the Bread of Life.”
[Dies Domini, Apostolic letter of Pope John Paul II 1998]

St. John begins his first chapter with the words
“In the beginning…” as we see in Genesis 1:1.

We also see a new creation week. At Cana, the new Adam, Christ (cf. 1 Cor. 15:45), changed the water into wine, symbolizing the change from the Old Covenant to the New Covenant. St. John tells us that there were seven days from “In the Beginning” to the beginning of Christ’s work here at Cana.
**These seven days correspond to the seven days of creation in Genesis.

John 1: 1, 29, 35, 43.** “In the beginning…(29) The next day…(35) The next day… (43) The next day…” this brings us to the fourth day. The next reference to time is found in John 2:1 “On the third day there was a marriage at Cana…”
But the third day from the fourth day is the seventh day.

Thus the third day and the seventh day are the same day. In the New Covenant of Jesus Christ we have a new seventh day, but it is also the third day - the day He rose from the dead, Luke 24: 46. The third day was also the day that the child Jesus was found teaching His Word in the temple.

We also find a close connection between the third and seventh day in Numbers 19:12 “…he shall cleanse himself with the water on the third day and on the seventh day, and so be clean…” Saint John makes these parallels with the book of Genesis, including the new seven days, so that we might see that we are a new creation in Christ. Along with the New Covenant and the new creation we have a new seventh day.

You can continue to reading more on this at
defendingthebride.com/mc/sa/sab1.html
I hope this helps,
John**

Yes, I agree that the NT declares the Mosaic law to be no longer binding. I’m just not sure if I agree with that thinking. I am trying to decide if I want to remain Christian or become Jewish.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.