Where in the Old Testament is the Star foretold

There was a Nativity movie I watched and they said the Star of Bethlehem was foretold clearly. Where is that?

I’ve heard Numbers 24:17 cited as a prophecy of the star:
“I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near. A star will come out of Jacob; a scepter will rise out of Israel. He will crush the foreheads of Moab, the skulls of all the people of Sheth.”

That “Star of Bethlehem” was an awesome film. I was given it as a gift a few years ago.:thumbsup:

The next verse is what ticked Herod off:

[FONT=Georgia]17 I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not nigh: a star shall come forth out of Jacob, and a scepter shall rise out of Israel; it shall crush the forehead* of Moab, and break down all the sons of Sheth. 18 Edom shall be dispossessed, Seir also, his enemies, shall be dispossessed, while Israel does valiantly.

[/FONT]
Herod was an Edomite.

Thanks so much!

Very interesting.

Great video!!

That is quite a stretch. I was hoping to find something a bit more specific.

Balaam was a famous pagan prophet in all that part of the Middle East, not just in Israel. (We have Canaanite inscriptions talking about him.) So for him to notoriously say that “A star shall rise out of Jacob and a scepter shall spring up from Israel” - ie, from his Jewish enemies - was a big deal, and people remembered it.

Something that was based on an assertion in a movie, or based on Sunday’s Gospel?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.