Where is confession to be held?

Is confession only to be heard inside of a Catholic Church? The reason I ask is that on my campus, there isn’t a Catholic Church or a Newman Center. But, there is a interfaith chapel that is part of the campus…Its a private school. They have Mass there, and they have protestant services, they have other stuff there, too, I think…

But, my question is, are they allowed to have Mass and confession there?

Can. 964 §1 The proper place for hearing sacramental confessions is a church or oratory.

§2 As far as the confessional is concerned, norms are to be issued by the Episcopal Conference, with the proviso however that confessionals, which the faithful who so wish may freely use, are located in an open place, and fitted with a fixed grille between the penitent and the confessor. §3 Except for a just reason, confessions are not to be heard elsewhere than in a confessional.

:twocents: Providing an opportunity for the sacraments to the students of a secular campus could be a just reason.

Likewise

Can. 932 §1 The eucharistic celebration is to be carried out in a sacred place, unless in a particular case necessity requires otherwise; in which case the celebration must be in a fitting place.

§2 The eucharistic Sacrifice must be carried out at an altar that is dedicated or blessed. Outside a sacred place an appropriate table may be used, but always with an altar cloth and a corporal.

Can. 933 For a good reason, with the express permission of the local Ordinary and provided scandal has been eliminated, a priest may celebrate the Eucharist in a place of worship of any Church or ecclesial community which is not in full communion with the catholic Church.

:twocents: It should be a matter of routine that the Ordinary provide the students of a secular campus with access to the Eucharistic Sacrifice.

tee

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.