Where is incest condemned at in Sacred Tradition?

Hi everyone. I’m debating with a person on another board about incest. Where is incest condemned at in Sacred Tradition? :confused:

Where is it permitted??

Nowhere but lots of things aren’t permitted in Sacred Tradition but that does not mean that they are wrong.

You might look in Scripture, instead. Leviticus, while primarily Mosaic Law, is in some places applicable to us as Christians. Leviticus 18 lists forbidden sexual practices.

Okay thanks. I have already used scripture in my debate. Now I am needing to find where Sacred Tradition condemns incest as I posted that it does. If I am wrong, I would have to correct that embarrassing mistake.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2388 *Incest *designates intimate relations between relatives or in-laws within a degree that prohibits marriage between them.181 St. Paul stigmatizes this especially grave offense: "It is actually reported that there is immorality among you . . . for a man is living with his father’s wife. . . . In the name of the Lord Jesus . . . you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh. . . . "182 Incest corrupts family relationships and marks a regression toward animality.

2356 *Rape *is the forcible violation of the sexual intimacy of another person. It does injury to justice and charity. Rape deeply wounds the respect, freedom, and physical and moral integrity to which every person has a right. It causes grave damage that can mark the victim for life. It is always an intrinsically evil act. Graver still is the rape of children committed by parents (incest) or those responsible for the education of the children entrusted to them.

Remember that Scripture is written Sacred Tradition. What one finds in Scripture was preached way before it was written down. Anyone who opens a Bible acknowledges Sacred Tradition merely by realizing the inability to separate the two along with the Teaching Authority of the Church. Nothing to be embarrassed about here…teachccd

Remember, also part of the Church’s teaching authority are the Councils and canons of those councils-- which eventually became canon law. The prohibitions against incestual marriage are found in canon law.

There are two types of incets:

[LIST]
*]divinely prohibited incest (in the direct line, such as parents to children and siblings to each other)

*]church law prohibitions which disallow marriage of close relations such as cousin.
[/LIST]

Church law can be dispensed and a marriage can take place if the Bishop allows it. Divine Law cannot be dispensed.

Gen 19,30

As a lesson for trust in God, it isn’t. It would appear the conduct of everyone here is in accordance with the Church, as NAB makes no comment on it. We find the lesson elsewhere with Abraham who trusted God to decide the outcome of his desire to have an heir.

AndyF

…Further, the story presents some curious questions.

1/ It would seem that sisters of old always ovulated at the exact same time.
2/ Devinely favored Lot had no qualms in breaking drunkeness laws.
3/ After 24 hours he was ignorant as to what went on the night before.
4/ Remarkable he could perform anebreated as he was. Most guys I knew …:shrug::rolleyes::rolleyes:…:smiley:

The story could be true, but most likely played out over a longer period than it did and with full consent of all concerned.

AndyF

As a matter of fact women living in the same household long enough find their periods gradually shifting to happen at the same time.

Interesting.! Gradually?:slight_smile:

Where did you receive this information?

AndyF

Medical studies done in the 1950’s and 60’s.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.