Where is Pope Paul IV?

With all the talk about the canonization of Popes John and John Paul II and their relationship to Vatican II, why is there virtually NO mention of the Pope who really implemented Vatican II, namely, Pope Paul IV.

I can think of several reasons - he is disliked by the “left” and disliked by the “right” for several interrelated reasons.

I would like to find out what others think is the reason he has been ignored - like the elephant in the room, if you ask me.

Do you have a news article we can comment on?

Pope Paul VI.

ncronline.org/news/vatican/report-pope-paul-vi-be-beatified-after-california-miracle

As debate continues about whether popes should be declared saints ahead of Sunday’s canonizations of Popes John Paul II and John XXIII, the weekly “Credere” (or “Believe”) has predicted Paul will be beatified in 2014, paving the way for his sainthood.

According to the weekly magazine of the Pauline Fathers, a miracle involving the birth of a baby in California in the 1990s has been attributed to the late Italian pope; the identity of the family and its location has not been revealed.

In a preview of the magazine’s forthcoming issue, the article said the cardinals and bishops who are members of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints would meet May 5 to confirm the miracle attributed to the Italian pontiff, who led the Catholic church from 1963 to 1978.

Once the miracle is approved, Pope Francis will then likely proclaim his beatification in October at the end of the Synod of Bishops, the magazine predicted.

:slight_smile:

He’s hardly being ignored. He has an open cause that is moving forward. His cause just advanced in 2012 from Servant of God to Venerable. That means he hasn’t had a postulator for very long. It will probably be awhile before there is more discussion of movement toward beatification. I think it’s just awkward timing in that he is at the stage of the process where not much happens that is newsworthy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.