Where is Sirach?

In the CCC, the entry I was looking at (para. 1730) references Sir. 15:14. I couldn’t find it in any of the online bibles at the Veritas Bible site so I googled it and found that Sirach is also called Ecclesiastes. I checked again in Veritas but Ecclesiastes only goes to chapter 12. What gives?

Sirach goes by a number of different names depending on translation:

Sirach (RSV)
Ben Sirach (NABRE)
Ecclesiasticus (not Ecclesiastes) (Douay and Jerusalem)

Sirach is one of the books that Protestants omit from their Old Testament, so if the Bibles you’re searching are not Catholic Bibles, then you won’t find Sirach in them.

In general, it’s always a good idea to make sure you’re looking at Catholic Bibles, in any case. :slight_smile:

Those were the 2 bibles I was checking. I didn’t realize that Ecclesiasticus and Ecclesiastes were two separate books. Thanks :slight_smile:

The way I remember it told to me; the protestants separated those 7 OT books we have from their cannon. The early protestant churches had the Bible and then a book of those seven books. Then somehow after time they just quit using them. FYI.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.